Do the refs really favor Packers/Steelers & scrutinize Cowboys?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Conspiracy theories are often just a passioned reaction to a disappointing outcome or when something happens that cannot be explained or proven in one easy step. I’ve been following the NFL and the Cowboys since I was 6 years old in 1964, and there were crazy conspiracy theories back then too.

Many Cowboys fans in 60s were absolutely convinced that league did not want the Cowboys to win anything because they were an expansion franchise. All the calls went against us according to them. My dad had played college football and he raised me always saying the refs will occasionally make bad calls and that is just as much a part of the game as injuries, weather, etc.

I have several family members- a brother-in-law, a cousin and a nephew- who are all fans of other NFL teams they grew up with. They all believe that the “Cowboys are the darlings of the NFL”. My cousin (who’s an eagle fan) firmly, sincerely believes the eaglets get screwed every week by the refs. Especially when they play the Cowboys, lol!

I have NEVER known a rabid fan of any team and any sport who did not believe the refs are out to get their team. It’s common. But in reality, there are no ref conspiracies in this league. This league can’t even define a catch much less put together a secret conspiracy to screw the Cowboys every week.

Anyone remember the last offensive play the pats had last week? It was a 3rd and 3 from the NE 46. Mac Jones tried to hit Nelson Agholor on a short out route that would have made the first down. Anthony Brown clearly but inadvertently pulled Agholor’s face mask on that play- it wasn’t called. The pass was incomplete and they punted. We drove the field and won the game.

Can you imagine how this place would have erupted if that had been in reverse and happened to us on a critical 3rd down? No…the refs aren’t out to get us. They are just too flag happy these days and aren’t always very consistent. That’s not a conspiracy.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
It will be a long wait , matey !

LOL, some don’t believe the bias , but if you ask Holmgren ( Seattle ) in the superbowl , Pittsburg wouldn’t have won without the Zebras. Remember the Tom Brady “ Tuck “ rule invented to prevent NE losing , one could go on

Invented? It was in the rule book. Dumb rule but it was there before the season started. I mean, if you think it was bogus, at least show how they failed to call it according to how it was written.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Conspiracy theories are often just a passioned reaction to a disappointing outcome or when something happens that cannot be explained or proven in one easy step. I’ve been following the NFL and the Cowboys since I was 6 years old in 1964, and there were crazy conspiracy theories back then too.

Many Cowboys fans in 60s were absolutely convinced that league did not want the Cowboys to win anything because they were an expansion franchise. All the calls went against us according to them. My dad had played college football and he raised me always saying the refs will occasionally make bad calls and that is just as much a part of the game as injuries, weather, etc.

I have several family members- a brother-in-law, a cousin and a nephew- who are all fans of other NFL teams they grew up with. They all believe that the “Cowboys are the darlings of the NFL”. My cousin (who’s an eagle fan) firmly, sincerely believes the eaglets get screwed every week by the refs. Especially when they play the Cowboys, lol!

I have NEVER known a rabid fan of any team and any sport who did not believe the refs are out to get their team. It’s common. But in reality, there are no ref conspiracies in this league. This league can’t even define a catch much less put together a secret conspiracy to screw the Cowboys every week.

Anyone remember the last offensive play the pats had last week? It was a 3rd and 3 from the NE 46. Mac Jones tried to hit Nelson Agholor on a short out route that would have made the first down. Anthony Brown clearly but inadvertently pulled Agholor’s face mask on that play- it wasn’t called. The pass was incomplete and they punted. We drove the field and won the game.

Can you imagine how this place would have erupted if that had been in reverse and happened to us on a critical 3rd down? No…the refs aren’t out to get us. They are just too flag happy these days and aren’t always very consistent. That’s not a conspiracy.

Bob: "My dad had played college football and he raised me always saying the refs will occasionally make bad calls and that is just as much a part of the game as injuries, weather, etc."
Theorist: "Hate to break it to you Bob, but your dad was an architect of The Matrix."

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

That was a glance of the facemask. Not even a full grab and pull, BH. With the old rule, that would have been a 5 yard penalty version instead of the 15 yard penalty of today: result in not a first down. Plus, the Pats WR would not have caught that ball anyhow since it was thrown too far outside.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
theyve taken away 2 qb sneak touchdowns away from us other than that officiating is horrid across the league

only time ill say they had an agenda is that year where we went about 10 straight games and offensive holding was never called on other teams against us

theres no possible way offensive holding cant be called for 10 games....Lineman hold, it would be almost impossible not to hold elite lineman can block without holding for 5 seconds after the ball is snapped which is an eternity to sit in the pocket so theyre telling me all 5 lineman were elite for 10 games?
*We also had the league leader in sacks at the time. He was never held once. Supposedly.

And if I remember correctly, after the 10 games there was another short one. Like 4 games all in the same season.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
No...they are biased. And most of them now are at the age that they grew up HATING the Cowboys if they were not a fan. You think that hate goes away? No way!!!
Yes. It doesn’t help some of these refs(seems like a lot) are in their 60’s and even 70’s. It’s not like they are trying to build a long successful career. If they mess up—no big deal to them.

The ref that died driving home recently in Tenn. was in his 70’s.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Every teams fans think the Refs suck and they are biased against their team. When they make a call that favors their team, they just shrug and say it was payback from the bad calls. No team gets favorable calls from the refs. They get incompetent calls from the refs. And depending on what team that incompetent call favored, then the other teams fans get their panties in a wad. I can show you plenty of examples of calls that favored the Cowboys and plenty of calls that favored any other team in the league. Go over any game played yesterday and go thru the teams forums. Every team complains about the refs. Every one. It isnt bias, Its incompetence. So no, the refs dont favore the packers, steelers or Cowboys more than any other team.
Yes. We all know that.

However, there’s one team that has had 5 extremely rare, even unique calls, that directly altered the outcome of the game.

Almost every other team hasn’t even experienced one of those calls.

Illegal huddle
False start long snap
Delay of game defensive lineman for moving
Coach arguing a bad call unsportsmanlike
Two tripping calls by all pro center

Not to mention the extremely long streak of no holding and Romo getting crushed for 10 years and very few calls.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

Here's that play. Brown pulls his facemask in 2 separate directions and hinders him from breaking back to the ball. Clear foul. But 'spiricists will turn ref lovers in a flash when we get away with one, lol. Things like this even out over time. We suffered in Tampa on one of these and then got away with this one here. They'll tell you there's mountainous evidence that we get screwed more, but it's because they overemphasize and display tons of energy on the ones we lose and completely minimize (or don't even mention) the ones win out on. Less than 11 refs will always miss calls on 11 different matchups. Even if there were 11, there'd be missed calls.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Well done Mr Bob. One of your best post !!

This post should be saved for every time one of these conspiracy theories arise.

kskboys

Reaction score
That's the beauty of a conspiracy theorist. You never have to back up anything, ever. Just throw poop at a wall that could happen like the Seahawks employing Bigfoot to simulate opposing DEs in practice and using frequency jammers to prevent video from capturing him in action.

Theorist: "Some officials are biased"
Rational Person: "Oh really? Which ones?"
Theorist: "Some of them are"
Rational Person: "Yes, but what are their names?"
Theorist: "Some officials are biased"
Rational Person: "Yes, but if they are to be rooted out of the game, you'd need to know which ones."
Theorist: "The ones that work Cowboys games"
Rational Person: "Officials have crews. So is it 1 or 2 on a crew or the whole crews?"
Theorist: "Yes"
Rational Person: "But these crews rotate. So is it partial members of crews or every single crew?"
Theorist: "Yes"
Rational Person: :facepalm:
Theorist: :angry:

Proof positive: NO debacle. The defender crashes into the receiver w/ the ball in the air. Head was not turned.

There is simply no way that all 6(I think there's 6?) officials did not even notice this extremely blatant penalty. It's simply not possible.

Proof positive: The Jax/NE AFC champ game, 2017. A Jax D that had 5 penalties called on them all year, suddenly has 6 or 7 called on them in one game. Every drive was stalled by the JAX O by penalties. Every one. This game, BTW, was the game changer for one of my football buddies, who had always called me foolish for this "conspiracy theory." There was simply no way they were going to have a Jax/Philly super bowl. Go find a complete tape of that game, and you'll quickly see what I mean. It was beyond ridiculous.

The proof is actually obvious. It takes effort to not see it.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Proof positive: NO debacle. The defender crashes into the receiver w/ the ball in the air. Head was not turned.

There is simply no way that all 6(I think there's 6?) officials did not even notice this extremely blatant penalty. It's simply not possible.

Proof positive: The Jax/NE AFC champ game, 2017. A Jax D that had 5 penalties called on them all year, suddenly has 6 or 7 called on them in one game. Every drive was stalled by the JAX O by penalties. Every one. This game, BTW, was the game changer for one of my football buddies, who had always called me foolish for this "conspiracy theory." There was simply no way they were going to have a Jax/Philly super bowl. Go find a complete tape of that game, and you'll quickly see what I mean. It was beyond ridiculous.

The proof is actually obvious. It takes effort to not see it.

Proof of terrible calls (I'd have to review the Jax game to even know), yes. Proof you can see inside their heads for motive or know they had marching orders? Yeah, that's a stretch. Possible. But so is a love child between Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster. I don't recall a Carolina/Patriots or a Carolina/Denver Super Bowl being on anyone's wish list.

kskboys

Reaction score

Yup. That is definitely what they mostly are.

However, not all. Calls are made to keep games close now. Because blowouts cost ratings.

The biggest was the NO noncall vs Minny. That noncall was absolutely not even in the realm of being able to be missed. There is simply no way it was missed. So, why was it not called? My best conjecture is that calls are made to keep games close, and have exciting endings. Because I have see this over and over and over. If NO gets that first down, they are then able to run the clock down to nothing and kick the game willing FG. Which the NFL does not want. They want the exciting ending, so they ignore the blatant rules violation, which give Minny time for one last drive. If you drop all biases and look at it from that perspective, then it suddenly comes into focus what they are doing.

kskboys

Reaction score
Proof of terrible calls (I'd have to review the Jax game to even know), yes. Proof you can see inside their heads for motive or know they had marching orders? Yeah, that's a stretch. Possible. But so is a love child between Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster. I don't recall a Carolina/Patriots or a Carolina/Denver Super Bowl being on anyone's wish list.
Not a stretch, Marcus. The NO noncall is extreme proof. The stretch in this case is actually not believing/seeing it. I would imagine if you can't see it, then you can see this love child!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Got any pics?)

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Here's that play. Brown pulls his facemask in 2 separate directions and hinders him from breaking back to the ball. Clear foul. But 'spiricists will turn ref lovers in a flash when we get away with one, lol. Things like this even out over time. We suffered in Tampa on one of these and then got away with this one here. They'll tell you there's mountainous evidence that we get screwed more, but it's because they overemphasize and display tons of energy on the ones we lose and completely minimize (or don't even mention) the ones win out on. Less than 11 refs will always miss calls on 11 different matchups. Even if there were 11, there'd be missed calls.

The Patriots WR was pushing off first. Ironic how you didn't mention that, Packers fan. If the officials had thrown a flag, they should have called a double foul (one by each player), thus offsetting the penalties and replaying the down.

Good no call overall.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The Patriots WR was pushing off first. Ironic how you didn't mention that, Packers fan. If the officials had thrown a flag, they should have called a double foul (one by each player), thus offsetting the penalties and replaying the down.

Good no call overall.

So now you're a ref lover! Are related to a ref? Lol. Hand fighting they allow for the most part but you can't grab a facemask and restrict a receiver from making a break on the ball by doing so.

But I have to laugh at how bad you are at lying in your quote below. If it would have been a 5-yard penalty on 3rd and 3 like Bob said, how would it not be a first down? Your blind lying is so bad it defies logic. Lol. Busted you lying 3 straight times and still you persist. Keep stalking. I know that beatdown was bad but you will NEVER even things up with me. You hear me? "I STILL own you!" Lol.
that would have been a 5 yard penalty version instead of the 15 yard penalty of today: result in not a first down

ESisback

Reaction score
One possibility?

Rating$ have been WAY down for a number of reasons, and we all know why, so is it really a surprise that the Cowboys are more successful (relevant) this year? This “supports” the notion that malfeasance doesn’t exist. WHY would they EVER eliminate their cash cow? They wouldn’t, especially now. However, we all know the HUGE number of people that despise Dallas, who are DRAWN to the TV, desperately hoping to see them lose in The Big Moment. They can have the best of both worlds. Let things occur naturally. Let Dallas build a winner, draw in their fans, along with those aching for their demise. NFCCG or Super Bowl, rating$ maximized! Picture a close, exciting EVENT, everyone on the edge of their seat, a “subjective” penalty at the end decides it. End result? All the Dallas fans are there, all the ABD’s are there too, THRILLED by the outcome. All, now recaptured by the league for 2022.

This all just a theory, a possibility. I was always taught to question authority, to try to think outside the box. I firmly believe that 99% of what happens is real and honest, our failures are a result of our own doing, and a tiny fraction is mostly things like coincidence. But I also know that there are those out there who will do ANYTHING in their pursuit of more money and more control, and that ANYTHING is possible.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Short of some document drop by someone in the front office or and actual recording of planning an attempted fix there will never be PROOF. But when one sees a bunch of head scratching moments, head scratching calls and the head scratching circumstances pile up . . . well, it's not proof but it's something. Been people sent to prison and probably executed on circumstantial evidence.

Marcus, I agree AB got away with at least a holding but coulda been a DPI or FM too. Shoulda been a flag. I can't explain why it wasn't. It did offset a preponderance of Cowboy penalties in that game, to a degree.

Again . . . proof is a helluva thing. Sometimes the scales tip in a certain direction that should activate one's attention. Conspiracy? I never said that. Bias would be a better word. Steerage maybe. I posted a too long post in this thread already.

kskboys

Reaction score
Short of some document drop by someone in the front office or and actual recording of planning an attempted fix there will never be PROOF. But when one sees a bunch of head scratching moments, head scratching calls and the head scratching circumstances pile up . . . well, it's not proof but it's something. Been people sent to prison and probably executed on circumstantial evidence.

Marcus, I agree AB got away with at least a holding but coulda been a DPI or FM too. Shoulda been a flag. I can't explain why it wasn't. It did offset a preponderance of Cowboy penalties in that game, to a degree.

Again . . . proof is a helluva thing. Sometimes the scales tip in a certain direction that should activate one's attention. Conspiracy? I never said that. Bias would be a better word. Steerage maybe. I posted a too long post in this thread already.
Yup, me too. I have no doubt that something is going on, it's more a matter of figuring out what and why.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Nah, it's you imagination.

EG5A5xzXkAE3S_f.jpg:large