Do the refs really favor Packers/Steelers & scrutinize Cowboys?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I don’t know how anyone can watch that Patriots game last week and say that game was being officiated the same way for both teams.

I also think we’re undefeated right now had it not been for officials in week 1 deciding a close game with crucial calls and no calls.

Levontae David spiking his helmet for a no call.

2 timely holding penalties at the end when we could’ve ran the clock out and kicked a FG to end it. (Dramatics / theatre)

Jourdan Lewis thrown to the floor.
I’ve never been one of those conspiracy theorists nuts. Last week however had me scratching my head. I’ve watched almost Every Cowboys game since the late 60’s and don’t remember a game that lopsided in penalties.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I’ve never been one of those conspiracy theorists nuts. Last week however had me scratching my head. I’ve watched almost Every Cowboys game since the late 60’s and don’t remember a game that lopsided in penalties.
Belichick was so pissed that he lost that game. He realized how good the Cowboys really were ,we overcame

J_Allen

Reaction score
For years now after every big play I've held my breath for a flag.

Yes they heavily scrutinize our games. And look at last week. Pure garbage.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
The Patriots game last weekend was one of the biggest offenders I have seen in some time. That game was ridiculous. I don't know if the refs are bias or not, but I can tell you games like that truly make you wonder.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Every teams fans think the Refs suck and they are biased against their team. When they make a call that favors their team, they just shrug and say it was payback from the bad calls. No team gets favorable calls from the refs. They get incompetent calls from the refs. And depending on what team that incompetent call favored, then the other teams fans get their panties in a wad. I can show you plenty of examples of calls that favored the Cowboys and plenty of calls that favored any other team in the league. Go over any game played yesterday and go thru the teams forums. Every team complains about the refs. Every one. It isnt bias, Its incompetence. So no, the refs dont favore the packers, steelers or Cowboys more than any other team.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I don’t know. Some of these calls and the convenience of them is not a coincidence.

I refuse to believe there is never calls made that are more harsh because 1 team is pulling away and they want to keep people interested.

There is too much money at stake for the NFL to not encourage a simple throw of a flag to solve those problems.
We finally agree on something. The Tampa game and the Patriots game were MONUMENTAL mistakes that cant happen at this level. There needs to be accountability. In soccer for example if you make a bad decision that costs a team a game. You are suspended.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
There might really be some truth to the Packers being favored by the refs and/or the Cowboys being more scrutinized by the refs.

In another thread I speculated that McCarthy/Philbin are teaching the infamous holding technique associated with the Packers.

My question was "Are the refs calling holding on Cowboys players for using the same technique that was not penalized when Packers players used it?"

The fact that multiple NFL rules are directly attributed to specific Cowboys players supports this concept:

Mike Irvin:
The Rule: Pushing-off by receivers by allowed until Irvin became know for it.

Mike Irvin:
The Rule: Taunting. Irvin’s trash-talking spurred the NFL to ban taunting during a game.

Emmitt Smith:
The Rule: In 1997, the NFL passed a rule that prohibits a player from removing their helmet while on the field.

Deion Sanders
The Rule: A prorated portion of a player’s signing bonus would be used to count against the team’s salary cap.

Roy Williams
The Rule: In 2005, the NFL owners passed a ban on the horse-collar tackle 27-5.
Repeat offenders, like Williams, would suffer disciplinary action from the league.

Erik Williams:
The Rule: Hands to the Face (Neck): Erik Williams.

Mel Renfro:
The Rule: Tipped pass by offensive player.
Prior to this rule in 1978, a pass tipped by an offensive player could only be incomplete or intercepted.
If a ball was knocked in the air, only a defender was allowed to legally catch it.

Links:
https://whodatdish.com/2014/04/09/considerable-rule-changes-players/4/

https://www.wfaa.com/article/sports...ges-inspired-by-cowboys-players/287-426219509

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...-romo-deion-sanders-marion-barber-mel-renfro/

Any Cowboys fan that thinks there is some kind of league wide ref conspiracy against the Cowboys is nothing more than a drama queen.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Conspiracy theories are completely unsubstantiated. If there was any truth there’d be some leaks from whistle blowers as the Cowboys wouldn’t be the only team there was a conspiracy against.

Purely sour grapes from Cowboys fans. There are bad calls made in all games. And the success of the Cowboys translates to the leagues success.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
There might really be some truth to the Packers being favored by the refs and/or the Cowboys being more scrutinized by the refs.

In another thread I speculated that McCarthy/Philbin are teaching the infamous holding technique associated with the Packers.

My question was "Are the refs calling holding on Cowboys players for using the same technique that was not penalized when Packers players used it?"

The fact that multiple NFL rules are directly attributed to specific Cowboys players supports this concept:

Mike Irvin:

Mike Irvin:
The Rule: Taunting. Irvin’s trash-talking spurred the NFL to ban taunting during a game.

Emmitt Smith:
The Rule: In 1997, the NFL passed a rule that prohibits a player from removing their helmet while on the field.

Deion Sanders
The Rule: A prorated portion of a player’s signing bonus would be used to count against the team’s salary cap.

Roy Williams
Repeat offenders, like Williams, would suffer disciplinary action from the league.

Erik Williams:

Mel Renfro:
Prior to this rule in 1978, a pass tipped by an offensive player could only be incomplete or intercepted.
If a ball was knocked in the air, only a defender was allowed to legally catch it.

Links:

https://www.wfaa.com/article/sports...ges-inspired-by-cowboys-players/287-426219509

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...-romo-deion-sanders-marion-barber-mel-renfro/

Absolutely true story….

I worked on American Ninja Warrior for three years and we had a woman producer who was constantly on the Steelers message boards all the time. She was obsessed. One day I asked her if she was from Pittsburgh.

This was the conversation.

“Oh yeah, my whole family are generational fans with season tickets and I’ve traveled the country, been to Super Bowls and even a Pro Bowl.”

“Wow,” I said. “Must get pretty expensive.”

“Oh we don’t pay for seats my dad has been an NFL official for 20 years.”

“Of course he has.”

And I left it at that.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Mike Irvin:

Mike Irvin:

Emmitt Smith:

Deion Sanders

Roy Williams

Erik Williams:

Mel Renfro:

Links:

The refs are sitting on our bench this season.
3 TD called back(Bolts-Pats) fumbles reversed(Panthers), and everyone here dwells on 1 QB sneak that we had 4 downs to score from the 1-yard line.
The league is selling the Star big time as it equals massive ratings.

willia451

Reaction score
Everybody complains about the refs. But they don't want to see the job automated. Even though we obviously have the tech to do so.

We still have a dude standing behind the catcher in baseball calling balls and strikes. Why? Because we like to complain about that dude. And we like to see him punching out a loser when he strikes out. It amps us up. Boooooooommm!!!! Yeah, baby. Performance art at it's finest.

So the calls are what they are. If you get bad ones, you just have to be good enough to overcome it.

The Detroit Lions fanbase is absolutely convinced the NFL will never allow them to do well.

And everyone was convinced the reason the Pats got all those SBs and got away with murder is because of league favoritism.

Until Tom Brady won a SB with Tampa. Dohhhhh. Looks like the reason is Tom is just the stinking GOAT. Who knew?

The internet and social media is full of people pushing conspiracy theories for all sorts of things. Some of it might be true.

Who knows? Talking about it is nothing if not something to do. Just another layer on the cake of life.

Bon Appetit.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Cowboys are 6-0 vs the spread this year. We don't really know 100% what's happening behind the scenes but we know Vegas loses big when Dallas wins against the spread.
Why? Cowboys fans bet the Cowboys more than any other fan base bets their team and we have the most fans. Dallas was -3.5 favorites in NE, all the money was on Dallas, sure looked like refs were trying to keep it close. Even looked like McCarthy was in on it (haha).

We all just hope and assume it's all played straight up but we don't really know. Games can be controlled by offensive and defensive holding calls with no reviews.

Is the league in on it? Doubtful although with legalized sports gambling who knows what the future brings, one bad actor can change things

Is there a couple of bad refs? Maybe, we just don't know... who's following them around on Tuesday? Who's monitoring their phone calls, texts & travel contacts etc?

Nobody.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The Cowboys game vs. the Pats favored the Pats for the far fewer number of flags they got.

I also believe that the Packers received favoritism by the refs whenever we've played them.

Last edited:

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Conspiracy theories are completely unsubstantiated. If there was any truth there’d be some leaks from whistle blowers as the Cowboys wouldn’t be the only team there was a conspiracy against.

Purely sour grapes from Cowboys fans. There are bad calls made in all games. And the success of the Cowboys translates to the leagues success.

Personally I think that some teams are favorites of the League and I think the teams in gold are favs. Especially the Stealers. I think the Rooney family swings a big NFL stick especially so in the 1970's. If Jack Lambert can body slam Cliff Harris after a play without repercussion and then some of the DPI calls were definitely eye opening. That's OK though but don't piss on my leg and then tell me it's raining.

2014 NFC Divisional Playoff:

f135e83b-GrimIgnorantClingfish.gif

Not flagged. Gene Steratore the ref responsible for making the call and not a friend of our Cowboys if you listen to his penalty breakdowns on the TV broadcasts.

I also thing games are somewhat "controlled and steered" by officiating. Doesn't take a whole crew but just 1 or 2 of the crew to influence momentum through making timely calls. Some games are unimportant to the League and are not affected but for sure the game last week (Dal vs NE) was the highest rated in 5 years (reg season). 2, 3, 4 timely/untimely calls in a game can change the outcome or the flow of a game. It was in the League's interest that the Dal vs NE game be competitive. Without the flaky calls it wouldn't have been from early on.

Cowboy success is tied to the League's success? So years when the Cowboys suck the league has an unsuccessful year? Your claim is correct for last year but none of the "bad" years as the League has a steady incline of revenue while some years our team does not have good success each year, and definitely not steady increases in success.. Each vertical Y axis bar represents a year with 2020 being the anomaly as shown by the drop in revenue. All other years show a rise from the previous year(s). Steady rise despite how the Cowboys are doing.

2001 thru 2020:
193457-blank-754.png

Last edited:

FloridaRob

Reaction score
The Refs were biased against the SAints last night. Or so says all their fans on their website today...

phildadon86

Reaction score
The Maras, Krafts and Rooney’s are respected, consulted, and cherished by the NFL

In no particular order these 4 teams have never, and will never have any penalties called against them in game winning drives.....Steelers, Packers, Giants, and Patriots

You can count on our offense having to gain 140 yards of offense to beat these teams on a last minute drive

Raiders had the same crap to deal with as well. 30 years of different players and coaches but mysteriously they led the league in penalties

And most importantly, it’s more about the timing of phantom penalties rather than the quantity
We finally agree. I still remember the Butler penalty against GB after a huge gain to Beasely. Hadnt been called since like 1986. lol.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Personally I think that some teams are favorites of the League and I think the teams in gold are favs. Especially the Stealers. I think the Rooney family swings a big NFL stick especially so in the 1970's. If Jack Lambert can body slam Cliff Harris after a play without repercussion and then some of the DPI calls were definitely eye opening. That's OK though but don't piss on my leg and then tell me it's raining.

2014 NFC Divisional Playoff:

f135e83b-GrimIgnorantClingfish.gif

Not flagged. Gene Steratore the ref responsible for making the call and not a friend of our Cowboys if you listen to his penalty breakdowns on the TV broadcasts.

I also thing games are somewhat "controlled and steered" by officiating. Doesn't take a whole crew but just 1 or 2 of the crew to influence momentum through making timely calls. Some games are unimportant to the League and are not affected but for sure the game last week (Dal vs NE) was the highest rated in 5 years (reg season). 2, 3, 4 timely/untimely calls in a game can change the outcome or the flow of a game. It was in the League's interest that the Dal vs NE game be competitive. Without the flaky calls it wouldn't have been from early on.

Cowboy success is tied to the League's success? So years when the Cowboys suck the league has an unsuccessful year? Your claim is correct for last year but none of the "bad" years as the League has a steady incline of revenue while some years our team does not have good success each year, and definitely not steady increases in success.. Each vertical Y axis bar represents a year with 2020 being the anomaly as shown by the drop in revenue. All other years show a rise from the previous year(s). Steady rise despite how the Cowboys are doing.

2001 thru 2020:
193457-blank-754.png
Yeah I remember watching this live scratching my head. How can you spear a QB in the knee and not get called? lol

shabazz

Reaction score
We finally agree. I still remember the Butler penalty against GB after a huge gain to Beasely. Hadnt been called since like 1986. lol.

We probably agree with more things than we don’t

In the end we both still want what’s best for the team......just different opinions on how it’s done