Do We Draft, Sign, Or Trade For A QB?

kskboys

Reaction score
I think tanking and bringing in a high draft pick QB is the way to go.

Problem is. You are going to be saying this same stuff in 5 years when that QB hasn't accomplished anything because this FO refuses to spend money in FA and build a team. This is the same FO that thought that offloading your best WR and replacing him with James Washington was the ticket.

Tom Brady couldn't overcome the disfunction in this organization. No one can. The last time this team was worth its salt is when Jerry stepped back and brought in Parcells. The time before that was Jimmy.

Do you see the common denominator here?
Close, but not quite. This FO refuses to employ a GM who is capable of bringing in FA's. It has nothing to do w/ spending money, it has everything to do w/ being inept at doing it.

Aftershock

Reaction score
Having been in the middle on Dak, I must finally speak out. He is a good hearted person and gets in no trouble off the field but year 7 and he has regressed from year one, usually you improve but not in his case, yes we know the OL is not the 2016 OL and some of this is on the wonder boy too along with Uncle Jed and Jethro. He just has not gotten better in my eyes from year one.
He got paid and got lazy.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For those that were on the fence it's time to face the music. Dak just isn't good. He's an injury waiting to happen at this point and he requires elite players everywhere to even look halfway decent. When Dak is your QB the margin of error with the rest of the roster is incredibly small. The Teddy Bridgewater's and Garner Minshews of the world would look better right now. I mean, I thought Rush looked better.

So we have 3 options here:

Do we try to get a QB through the draft like Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, or Allen?

Do we sign a QB like Tampa did with Brady?

Do we trade for a QB like the Rams did with Stafford?

Personally, with us being stuck with the injury prone and not good Dak Prescott I think we should draft a 1st rounder THIS YEAR with our high draft pick we'll have. This years draft is supposed to be very high on QB talent. This is the year we should do it.

We can put him behind Dak and let him learn and as soon as Dak can be let go we let him go.

It's time to take the QB seriously again for the first time since Aikman.
Man. I wish Jerry Jones would read CowboysZone sometime. Then post his thoughts on topics like "How Would You GM Instead Of Jerruh?". That would make him even more popular on this site than he already is. :laugh:

Cowboys1fan

Reaction score
For those that were on the fence it's time to face the music. Dak just isn't good. He's an injury waiting to happen at this point and he requires elite players everywhere to even look halfway decent. When Dak is your QB the margin of error with the rest of the roster is incredibly small. The Teddy Bridgewater's and Garner Minshews of the world would look better right now. I mean, I thought Rush looked better.

So we have 3 options here:

Do we try to get a QB through the draft like Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, or Allen?

Do we sign a QB like Tampa did with Brady?

Do we trade for a QB like the Rams did with Stafford?

Personally, with us being stuck with the injury prone and not good Dak Prescott I think we should draft a 1st rounder THIS YEAR with our high draft pick we'll have. This years draft is supposed to be very high on QB talent. This is the year we should do it.

We can put him behind Dak and let him learn and as soon as Dak can be let go we let him go.

It's time to take the QB seriously again for the first time since Aikman.
None, we believe in our young guys let’s give them a chance!! Says no team ever besides our trash ***

phildadon86

Reaction score
Close, but not quite. This FO refuses to employ a GM who is capable of bringing in FA's. It has nothing to do w/ spending money, it has everything to do w/ being inept at doing it.
Fair enough.

This FO doesnt understand that building thru the draft is fine. However. You need to supplement it with FA. You cant just do one of the 2. Especially when you cant hit on a 3rd rounder to save your life.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
It's a gamble, you're right.

But if you hit on them you're set. You have to at least try.
How many first rounders would you go through to find a qb? You must love the way the Browns organization has been ran.

Jerry did try to trade up for a first round qb before they got Dak. You want a compotent qb? Get a compotent FO first...

Jerry and Stephen has to go.

visionary

Reaction score
The worst thing that could have happened is the Prescott injury. These colossal morons need to see how inept he is without a pro bowl supporting cast every week. Now they can chalk this up to a bad night and we lost our starting QB for half the season so that explains the top 10 draft pick.

Never underestimate how dumb they are.

They will not be in the QB market in the offseason. I guarantee it.

this 100%
This injury is the worst thing for real Cowboys fans
It is the perfect excuse for the Joneses and Dak

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Do we try to get a QB through draft like Wilson, Jones, Haskins, mayfield, darnold, rosen, turbiskey.....not saying we shouldn't try, but its like fishing in shark infested waters. fish is going to be tough to catch.

who do we sign like Brady? will they be able to overcome the dysfunction that's Jerry jones?

who is willing to trade a QB that can lift this team to the next level? Stafford, was a #1 over all pick. Detroit in need of a big haul, needing talent infusion and draft picks. so who are the bottom sucking teams that have a mathew stafford type player and ready to make a trade?

its all wishful thinking.

with that said, Dak is here one more year. if we suck this year, we can go fishing for a QB, maybe we get lucky, but then again, Jerry will find a way to ruin him too.
Having Dak here one more year is the reason we should draft his replacement. Let him sit for a year and learn what not to do.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The worst thing that could have happened is the Prescott injury. These colossal morons need to see how inept he is without a pro bowl supporting cast every week. Now they can chalk this up to a bad night and we lost our starting QB for half the season so that explains the top 10 draft pick.

Never underestimate how dumb they are.

They will not be in the QB market in the offseason. I guarantee it.
Our best hope is that Rush looks serviceable until Dak gets back and makes the rest of the offense look inept again.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I dont see a scenario where the Cowboys don’t select a QB in the first two rounds of next year’s draft. They would be foolish not to target one
Have you seen the fools running this organization?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Having been in the middle on Dak, I must finally speak out. He is a good hearted person and gets in no trouble off the field but year 7 and he has regressed from year one, usually you improve but not in his case, yes we know the OL is not the 2016 OL and some of this is on the wonder boy too along with Uncle Jed and Jethro. He just has not gotten better in my eyes from year one.
I was thinking the same thing last night. He's regressed very badly. His best play of the night was running for a first down. That's not good for a franchise QB.

kskboys

Reaction score
Fair enough.

This FO doesnt understand that building thru the draft is fine. However. You need to supplement it with FA. You cant just do one of the 2. Especially when you cant hit on a 3rd rounder to save your life.
Look at their history. They have failed miserably on nearly every FA they have signed. Can you even think of one success? Carr, Poe, McC, HAha.

75boyz

Reaction score
I don't have an answer but change is needed.

This requires proactive future planning and foresight that Bob has shared in previous posts of the more aggressive front office GMs who are capable of truly self scouting themselves.
And then proceeding with an aggressive plan of action to include all phases, ie draft, free agency and trades.

This QB can not carry a team. He is not elite. He in fact needs more help than most successful game managers.

The problem is, this front office does not know how to build a team around a below average game manager like Dak to maximize his limited skillset.

Dak ain't a high volume pocket passer. Period. He peaked his rookie year. That was the best version of Dak.

I have no answer to the OP honestly but a new QB is needed for this team whether by trade, FA acquisition or draft.

I guess my personal preference would be a first rd draft but then again, there's a big bust rate percentage going that route as well. So while I don't know which of the 3 options is the best, to continue on with Dak should not be an option.

Last edited:

phildadon86

Reaction score
Look at their history. They have failed miserably on nearly every FA they have signed. Can you even think of one success? Carr, Poe, McC, HAha.
Yeah. Look how much those FA's cost. Carr is the only one who I would consider a FA signing.

The other guys were vet minimum guys who didnt even make it thru the season.

I am talking about going out and getting a Wagner, or a Von Miller. Someone that will contribute right away. The fact they didnt have a swing tackle on this team is mind boggling given Tyrons history,

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I think tanking and bringing in a high draft pick QB is the way to go.

Problem is. You are going to be saying this same stuff in 5 years when that QB hasn't accomplished anything because this FO refuses to spend money in FA and build a team. This is the same FO that thought that offloading your best WR and replacing him with James Washington was the ticket.

Tom Brady couldn't overcome the disfunction in this organization. No one can. The last time this team was worth its salt is when Jerry stepped back and brought in Parcells. The time before that was Jimmy.

Do you see the common denominator here?
I get it.

Jerry is a problem, but Jerry isn't going anywhere.

I'd rather have Jerry actively trying to get a real QB in here than have Jerry just hitch the teams wagon to these untalented guys.

Jerry will always be a problem of course, but it's better to have 1 problem (Jerry) than 2 of them (Jerry and Dak).

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I dont see a scenario where the Cowboys don’t select a QB in the first two rounds of next year’s draft. They would be foolish not to target one
You just gave the scenario you don't see.