Do we have a weak home crowd?

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
vlad;1841858 said:
Do we have a weak home crowd?
if you have to ask... the answer is yes.

seriously, the answer is YES. worst home crowd of a premier franchise in all of sports.

Reaction score
I live in Northern Virginia t hate) and I get to see Dallas once a year at FedEx. While watching the cowboys on TV it seems the crowd is really weak at times. I used to have skins season tickets and attended most of the games and their crowd of about 92,000 stays loud every snap for their defense.

On 3rd downs they yell on the intercom "its third down, washington!" and crowd seriously go nuts! (until they give up the 1st) . However rival teams have a good fanbase at skins games. At the Cowboys game its not hard to find another cowboys fan its probably 65% - 35% skins to cowboys fans.

Cant wait for the game on the 30th which also happens to be my 21st bday. Been worried since the day the schedule was released that game would make or break playoffs for us, guess I dont have to worry about that anymore though lol.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1842624 said:
I'm sure it'll have the best TV's money can buy, tho. :)

All the more reasons to stay home watch it on High def TV with a comfortable seat and beer that does not cost you $8 bucks a pop

:D

jgboys1

Reaction score
HurdIsNoTurd;1842721 said:
I live in Northern Virginia t hate) and I get to see Dallas once a year at FedEx. While watching the cowboys on TV it seems the crowd is really weak at times. I used to have skins season tickets and attended most of the games and their crowd of about 92,000 stays loud every snap for their defense.

On 3rd downs they yell on the intercom "its third down, washington!" and crowd seriously go nuts! (until they give up the 1st) . However rival teams have a good fanbase at skins games. At the Cowboys game its not hard to find another cowboys fan its probably 65% - 35% skins to washington fans.

Cant wait for the game on the 30th which also happens to be my 21st bday. Been worried since the day the schedule was released that game would make or break playoffs for us, guess I dont have to worry about that anymore though lol.
:laugh2:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
chinch;1842690 said:
if you have to ask... the answer is yes.

seriously, the answer is YES. worst home crowd of a premier franchise in all of sports.

Not even close, not even in the conversation.

you might want to pay closer attention.

joseephuss

Reaction score
No, it is not weak. It just isn't one of the strongest. There are better home crowds and home field advantages.

10-1 on the road with Romo
8-5 at home with Romo

Look at those 5 losses.

New Orleans last year. The Saints were on a tear. They were just playing out of their minds. That happens sometimes.
Philly last year who is always tough and they did win the division.
Detroit last year. Dallas was in a tail spin at that time, but that probably should not have happened.
New England this season. Much like the Saints from last year. The Pats are just playing out of this world. Dallas would not have beaten them on the road, either.
Philly this year. The Eagles struggled earlier in the year, but they still have lots of talent. Division rivals are always a tough task.

Did Dallas face any tougher opponents than that on the road? Those were some of the tougher opponents that Dallas has faced since Romo became the starter.

Consider that Dallas has also beaten both Indy and Green Bay at Texas Stadium, so they have won a couple of those tough match ups. Would those results have been different at Indy or at Green Bay?

I would still much rather see Dallas play at home in the playoffs. It is a long season and the extensive travel really starts to grind on you especially in the playoffs. It would be great if Dallas got two home games in January and make the road to the SB a little easier.

zeromaster

Reaction score
Maybe Jessica Simpson was in the stadium for each of those 5 losses.

Not saying it's a good theory, but...

joseephuss

Reaction score
zeromaster;1842914 said:
Maybe Jessica Simpson was in the stadium for each of those 5 losses.

Not saying it's a good theory, but...

Jessicarrie was at both Philly games.

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
The thing I don't get about our home crowd is it seems they make more noise before the snap when we are on offense as oppose to defense........ LoL

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
This is Our Year;1842921 said:
The thing I don't get about our home crowd is it seems they make more noise before the snap when we are on offense as oppose to defense........ LoL

read my post.

I explained why that is.

Pats Fan

Benched
Reaction score
When I lived in Dallas, I could go to any game I wanted to. No problem. There are many teams, many, where you have to pay a major premium to go.

So in 3 years, I went to one game. Just because I lived there and love football - I am no Cowboy fan. Played Pittsburgh, and they won. Good game actually. Me, I showed up in football clothes. Casual. I looked next to me and saw a guy in suit and his wife in a dress. I said to myself, oh my.

In New England, I don't think you would ever, ever see someone in a suit and dress. Never, ever. Overall hard core fans, just the way I like it.

The simple fact is, most of your fan base is outside of Dallas. Just the way it is.

vlad

Reaction score
Thanks for the input Theebs. I just get frustrated by what appears to be the FWST board/general tough guy behind a PC attitude that seems to creep in more and more and this site.

If its a thread that I have zero input in as regards to the topic I just move on, even if its a stupid threat. Its like the Skip Bayless effect, the more po'd we get about him, the more ESPN wants to keep him on. Ignore him and at some point he will surely go away.

Warick

Reaction score
I went to the home opener against the giants, and it was very loud. I agree with theebs. I think a lot of people dont get to go on a regular basis, and get a little excited when we are on offense, and can get a little loud. When that happened in our section, me, and a few other guys waved our arms to quiet the crowd, and it worked.

One thing I've noticed in this city though, that there are a LOT of people who just don't like the Cowboys. Not the people from out east/north, but people who were born here. I work with a few of them. They aren't fans of another team per se, but more of the "I'm a fan of anyone the Cowboys are playing". Also, as silly as this may sound, I know a few people who quit being fans of the team after Jerry fired Tom Landry.

One thing I would like to see in the future is Dallas having training camp in, or just outside the city of Dallas. Jerry has done a good job of promoting the Cowboys outside of the DFW area, but in a sense, at the cost the local fans. The Cowboys have had training camp in other states, and in other cities inside Texas for years, and I think a lot of local fans have lost touch with the Team. Sure, they had camp in Witchita Falls, but it's still a few hours drive, and while it may not be a big deal for a fan like me, or theebs, or any of the other board locals, someone who may be on the fence about the team, probably won't bother making the trip, but might be willing to make a 20 minute drive to watch a practice.

The Dallas Stars hockey team has their camp here in Frisco, and they draw a lot of fans, and new fans to the team. They also have open practices, and autograph sessions afterwards. I think the Cowboys should try something along those lines. It probably won't happen, but it would be nice.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Pats Fan;1842929 said:
When I lived in Dallas, I could go to any game I wanted to. No problem. There are many teams, many, where you have to pay a major premium to go.

So in 3 years, I went to one game. Just because I lived there and love football - I am no Cowboy fan. Played Pittsburgh, and they won. Good game actually. Me, I showed up in football clothes. Casual. I looked next to me and saw a guy in suit and his wife in a dress. I said to myself, oh my.

In New England, I don't think you would ever, ever see someone in a suit and dress. Never, ever. Overall hard core fans, just the way I like it.

The simple fact is, most of your fan base is outside of Dallas. Just the way it is.

Well I cant dispute that, I have only been going to games here for five years, but dont act like new england was some football mecca.

And for what its worth, I have never seen anyone sitting in a suit in the five years I have been here, were you talking about the 70s with landry?

Pats Fan

Benched
Reaction score
theebs;1848605 said:
Well I cant dispute that, I have only been going to games here for five years, but dont act like new england was some football mecca.

And for what its worth, I have never seen anyone sitting in a suit in the five years I have been here, were you talking about the 70s with landry?

That was great, the 70's. Well, I am not quite that old. Just in my '50's. Guess that is pretty old compared to you. And yes, a man with his wife, suit and dress. It was weird.

No, it was around '88. I didn't like the stadium for a lot of reasons, plus -- no place to really tailgate so I never went back. That being said, you have a new stadium being built and it sounds and looks like it is going to be well, honestly everything I don't like about the world.

If you were ever at the old Pats stadium, it was the absolute best to me. I kind of think the Green Bay stadium is just about as good. I don't need fancy, I don't need to have oysters at half-time, I don't need the latest "flush" in the bathroom. I am there to watch football. To me, the "new" Pats stadium doesn't cut he mustard compared to the old stadium. Just a bunch of real football fans that could afford to go to each and every game and just love it -- tailgate, yep. In the woods. Fun, great fun -- and you know we were bums -- didn't matter.

When "suits" become the people sitting in the stands, then to me, well, it would just -- not make me happy.

I can afford to keep my seats, but honestly, how many people can afford to put out $500 a weekend to go to a football game. Just doesn't sit well with me.

Oh, and you are right, the Red Sox, the Red Sox, oh, well OK. I am a football fan. But remember things change, like stadiums. So provincial New England is becoming a football town as well. But you know and I know, baseball and the Red Sox are at the core of every New Englander. Just the way it is.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Pats Fan;1848689 said:
That was great, the 70's. Well, I am not quite that old. Just in my '50's. Guess that is pretty old compared to you. And yes, a man with his wife, suit and dress. It was weird.

No, it was around '88. I didn't like the stadium for a lot of reasons, plus -- no place to really tailgate so I never went back. That being said, you have a new stadium being built and it sounds and looks like it is going to be well, honestly everything I don't like about the world.

If you were ever at the old Pats stadium, it was the absolute best to me. I kind of think the Green Bay stadium is just about as good. I don't need fancy, I don't need to have oysters at half-time, I don't need the latest "flush" in the bathroom. I am there to watch football. To me, the "new" Pats stadium doesn't cut he mustard compared to the old stadium. Just a bunch of real football fans that could afford to go to each and every game and just love it -- tailgate, yep. In the woods. Fun, great fun -- and you know we were bums -- didn't matter.

When "suits" become the people sitting in the stands, then to me, well, it would just -- not make me happy.

I can afford to keep my seats, but honestly, how many people can afford to put out $500 a weekend to go to a football game. Just doesn't sit well with me.

Oh, and you are right, the Red Sox, the Red Sox, oh, well OK. I am a football fan. But remember things change, like stadiums. So provincial New England is becoming a football town as well. But you know and I know, baseball and the Red Sox are at the core of every New Englander. Just the way it is.

ITs funny because you and I and the same. I am from central ny, and you have the underdog I dont want the flash attitude that I have.

I agree 110% about the stadium, particularly the new cowboys stadium. I dont like it all personally, I like old traditional venues. All of the stuff that jerry is building and selling to the fans is stuff 90% of us will never be able to enjoy.

I wouldnt sit in a suite for a game under any circumstance. I cant tell you how many times I have turned down free suite tickets to the rangers, I am just not interested.

I did go to the old foxborough, My friend is a pat diehard and we got tickets to that denver-pats game in 96 where shanahan came in and slapped the pats around! Only time I ever went there though. I liked it, just like I loved rich stadium before the renovation, that damn place was loud as hell.

anyway, Its funny you are from texas and you have that upstate ny-new england underdog attitude. I love it, that is who I am too. And the last thing about the new stadium here is that it is probably going to cause me to not buy season tickets. I cant tell you how much that dissapoints me having moved here specifically for that reason. I will find out in february. So the new place will have more bathrooms, biggers screens, wider seats, catering, more suites...not one of those things benefits the upper level joe fan like me. I am considering move back to the northeast if the ticket seat licenses are too much. Its a shame. Like you I am only there for football. I think people that go to games with me are bored to death sometimes because I dont drink and I really dont ever tailgate, I like to watch warmups, listen to the pregame show and then watch the game.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
joseephuss;1842897 said:
No, it is not weak. It just isn't one of the strongest. There are better home crowds and home field advantages.

My sentiments exactly.

Detractors of Texas Stadium crowds should've watched the Rams/Steelers game last night. The game was in St. Louis, and at least half the stadium consisted of Pittsburgh fans.

And for the all the hype surrounding East Coast fans, their stadiums certainly empty quickly.