Do we have too many good players?

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Look at what we've been gifted in upcoming contracts from players we've drafted. Upcoming deals for Dak, Micah, Lamb, Tyler Smith, Bland, Osa just to name a few. Can we realistically afford to keep all of these players. Before it's said YES it's years down the road for some players, but we just have to keep this in the back of our minds. Please give your thoughts
Too much talent? Lmao. Can't run block. Can't stop the run. Edge blocking is bad. Can't secure the edge against the run. Give up big chunk plays in the secondary in key crucial situations.

No threats at WR after #1. Horrible defensive tackle play. Worst running back roster in the league. Oh yes. Such an abundance of riches.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
A team like the Cowboys that can't reach their most needy goals can't have too many good players. What they need most is better management.

Their faithful fans all realize that this team can't hope to challenge for more playoff success, without handling veteran free agency more sensibly.

More capable GMs of other teams manage to outdo what the Dallas management has been doing to curse their free agency for decades now!!!

Last edited:

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Every team deals with that, but where this FO has dropped the ball has been with contract structuring and horrible timing.
Painted themselves into quite a corner this time.
No worse than that is their habit of holding onto and very often overpaying their guys. See Zeke, Dak, D-Law etc. You see it repeat over and over again and I don't think it is by accident.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
A team like the Cowboys that can't reach their most desired goals can't have too many good players. What they need most is better management.
Rather they have guys who are good but the other teams have guys that are better or getting more out of their guys. Ask yourself, in the current culture of the boys there is no accountability.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Despite all the clamoring concerning the trenches, this FO has invested draft capital to the OL and DL most recently.

Sure, we have some questions.

Is our 1st year 1tech that hopefully got his weight back on, with some better understanding of his role now?

Has Sam Williams finally matured enough to secure a future here?

Can Kneeland become a nice rotational piece in Zimms D and be able to give Tank a breather?

Its funny when you read between the lines on what Tank said,, and then they draft Kneeland that has the perfect attributes to become a great understudy and compliment to Tank.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
No worse than that is their habit of holding onto and very often overpaying their guys. See Zeke, Dak, D-Law etc. You see it repeat over and over again and I don't think it is by accident.
Indeed, it has become rhetorical and exhausting the amount of faith Jerry entrusts into his Cowboy gladiators, favorite players.
That faith paints you into a tight corner, like the one we are in now.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Look at what we've been gifted in upcoming contracts from players we've drafted. Upcoming deals for Dak, Micah, Lamb, Tyler Smith, Bland, Osa just to name a few. Can we realistically afford to keep all of these players. Before it's said YES it's years down the road for some players, but we just have to keep this in the back of our minds. Please give your thoughts
The more good players you have the better off your team will be. I mean does this really need to be said? If you have salary cap issues and can’t work out a deal, then you can trade for draft assets. I guess maybe you want them to purposely draft players that have no chance?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The more good players you have the better off your team will be. I mean does this really need to be said? If you have salary cap issues and can’t work out a deal, then you can trade for draft assets. I guess maybe you want them to purposely draft players that have no chance?
I'm trying to remember the best return value in a trade that this FO has made in recent history, scratching my head and will have to do a little research, but my point being is that we rarely take advantage of a position of depth, like on this current roster that depth is safety, we got a couple that we could deal for a good return if they had the Huevos to ever make a good deal.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm trying to remember the best return value in a trade that this FO has made in recent history, scratching my head and will have to do a little research, but my point being is that we rarely take advantage of a position of depth, like on this current roster that depth is safety, we got a couple that we could deal for a good return if they had the Huevos to ever make a good deal.
Yeah the Cowboys don’t normally do that unfortunately.

Reaction score
No, we don't, what we have is too many good players hyped up as great players. It's a Cowboy/ media limelight thing.

Jipper

Reaction score
We need to have an exit strategy for players that are good to great but demanding more than they are worth...the Patriots model comes to mind, wish we could end up with more picks and restart the cycle on some of these players with more high quality potential draft picks...not saying don't pay some but if you can't pay all we should at least find a way to get more value