CFZ Do We Not Get Tired or Doing the Same Thing Over and Over?

817Gill

Reaction score
It seems like literally every year we complain about most of our picks. If it isn’t the first rounder, it’s the second. If it’s not the second, it’s the third. From Travis Frederick to Tyler Smith, so many complain about who the guy is just to turn around 5 months later and say “wow good job Dallas!”.

Obviously we have our guys we want and it can be disappointing to be invested in the draft and see a name you don’t want to see. But we have to remember that we are fans and we take media grades and watch some highlights and think we know what the boards are when in actuality we have zero idea what scouts across the league have ranked these guys.

My advice, calm down and take some solace in the fact that if there’s one thing this franchise has done right the last 8 or so years it’s the draft. More than likely, 2/3 of these guys will be real high caliber contributors.

Look at last year. People hated the Smith and Williams picks lol now they are probably going to be strong pieces moving forward. Did Schoon and Overshown surprise me? Sure. But am I losing sleep over it? No way. More than likely we end up really liking the class.

And lmao someone compared this to 2009. We aren’t a top of the league organization but c’mon guys. If you think the 2023 Cowboys are being run like the 2009 Cowboys then you’re just not paying attention.

Maverick84

Reaction score
Obviously we have our guys we want and it can be disappointing to be invested in the draft and see a name you don’t want to see.
in the grand scheme of football fanhood, this is typically the main reason why anyone protests as much as they do

because their "pet cats", and their "mawk draftz", and essentially their manhood, didn't go the way they wanted it to

oh well

kevm3

Reaction score
What's the point of even coming on the message board if all we're going to do is pretend like all the picks are awesome? Fans are disappointed and rightfully so because of nearly 30 years of failing.

If a pick is good, I'll give it praise like the Mazi pick. If a pick looks like it stinks, then it looks like it stinks.

Despite the Eagles having the best O line in the league, they still used a pick to shore up that O line. We could have done the same, but we drafted a 25 year old tight end instead, despite having a massive hole in our Oline. If the TE we drafted was elite, I wouldn't have minded the pick, but he's not.

It's not about being mad that our 'mocked guy' wasn't taken. It's about being mad that this draft makes zero sense outside of Mazi. Overshown looks nice on tape, but where does a 220lb LB converted from safety make us significantly better?

This better not be one of those years where we 'chill' in free agency and go bargain shopping or the Eagles and 49ers are going to stomp a mudhole in us again.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
It seems like literally every year we complain about most of our picks. If it isn’t the first rounder, it’s the second. If it’s not the second, it’s the third. From Travis Frederick to Tyler Smith, so many complain about who the guy is just to turn around 5 months later and say “wow good job Dallas!”.

Obviously we have our guys we want and it can be disappointing to be invested in the draft and see a name you don’t want to see. But we have to remember that we are fans and we take media grades and watch some highlights and think we know what the boards are when in actuality we have zero idea what scouts across the league have ranked these guys.

My advice, calm down and take some solace in the fact that if there’s one thing this franchise has done right the last 8 or so years it’s the draft. More than likely, 2/3 of these guys will be real high caliber contributors.

Look at last year. People hated the Smith and Williams picks lol now they are probably going to be strong pieces moving forward. Did Schoon and Overshown surprise me? Sure. But am I losing sleep over it? No way. More than likely we end up really liking the class.

And lmao someone compared this to 2009. We aren’t a top of the league organization but c’mon guys. If you think the 2023 Cowboys are being run like the 2009 Cowboys then you’re just not paying attention.

Fans have this little tendency of studying players, and building their mock draft. When the Cowboys go in a totally different direction, then fans get upset. They don't understand this one tidbit, THE COWBOYS DO WHAT THEY WANT NOT WHAT YOU WANT. So as I've said before, I don't study any player until after we draft them. I've been happier ever since.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

I am delighted with Mazi Smith and Overshown. Mazi fits a need we've had for a very long time. Overshown, I think, is going to be a fantastic player for us. He might not start, but quality depth at LB is important. I like how he attacks the ball. The only area of concern is probably Schoon as I wanted O'Cyrus, but I understand the need for a TE. He gives us a nice trio. The TE trio was deadly last year, and I think we've got an improved WR group with Cooks (adding to Gallup, who is coming off injury). I would like another WR, but, we're bound to bring a massive net of those in UDFA, and we are known for good finds there. Plus, there are still some guards I like on the board like Zavala and Mafi.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Fans have this little tendency of studying players, and building their mock draft. When the Cowboys go in a totally different direction, then fans get upset. They don't understand this one tidbit, THE COWBOYS DO WHAT THEY WANT NOT WHAT YOU WANT. So as I've said before, I don't study any player until after we draft them. I've been happier ever since.

Probably a good idea

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
What's the point of even coming on the message board if all we're going to do is pretend like all the picks are awesome? Fans are disappointed and rightfully so because of nearly 30 years of failing.

If a pick is good, I'll give it praise like the Mazi pick. If a pick looks like it stinks, then it looks like it stinks.

Despite the Eagles having the best O line in the league, they still used a pick to shore up that O line. We could have done the same, but we drafted a 25 year old tight end instead, despite having a massive hole in our Oline. If the TE we drafted was elite, I wouldn't have minded the pick, but he's not.

It's not about being mad that our 'mocked guy' wasn't taken. It's about being mad that this draft makes zero sense outside of Mazi. Overshown looks nice on tape, but where does a 220lb LB converted from safety make us significantly better?

This better not be one of those years where we 'chill' in free agency and go bargain shopping or the Eagles and 49ers are going to stomp a mudhole in us again.

While I'm not exactly impressed with the TE we took, I will defend it on one angle. He is a good blocking TE, so, I suppose he can, especially on a running play, serve as an extra tackle. From that stand point, as well as his catching skills, I think I can understand why they felt he was worth the pick. I was wanting O'Cyrus, especially as the Eagles Dline looks formidable (in fairness, our defence looks formidable as well). That said, I think that I can understand the logic.

I think we have had an okay draft overall. Certainly, it's not the worst. I think the Texans have had an abysmal draft, honestly. I also am not too impressed by the Packers or the Patriots drafts so far.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
My intuition tells me the Cowboys are not a good drafting team on day 2.
Kelvin Joseph, Nashon Wright, Jalen Tolbert are just some of the recent examples.

They do great in the first round and middle rounds.
I agree, but, we have had some success there. I'm unimpressed by Schoon, but, at least this isn't an injured player or a character risk. This pick at least has good logic. As for Overshown, I like his ability. I think we will be pleased with him.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'd say, as far as drafts go, I think the teams with the best draft so far have been the Lions, Jets, and perhaps the Bears. I think the worst have been the Texans (that trade was laughable imo. Yes, they got a good player, but they are NOT in a position, imo, to throw away a 1st next year), Packers, and, to an extent, the Patriots. I think we are about middle of the pack. Considering where we were drafting, that's not a bad place. It's not brilliant, but I think it'll be effective. I think it makes our defence almost impenetrable on paper, while giving us some firepower. That's gotta count for something.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The only thing that matters is the playoffs success, so far the team has been Terrible

Well, and that's why I'm delighted at both Mazi and Overshown. Mazi because he helps us at NT, which is a spot that MUST be top notch by the playoffs. I'm delighted by Overshown because LVE doesn't exactly have a long track record of playing a full season, and I like what I see from him. I think our defence will be ready to help us get over the hump. Will our kicker and offense be ready?

Mr_437

Reaction score
I stopped watching prospects weeks ago because the Cowboys can't draft every player I like or may not value the player like I do. I much rather watch the guys they draft and see how they fit like I've done tonight, and I'm fine with the picks because I can see the fit on this team.

sacase

Reaction score
Honestly this draft I am underwhelmed. Not with the players we picked but all the players. I don't think this is a good draft year in general so I am. It mad about anyone. The picks fill a need so we will see how they pan out.

12+88=7

Reaction score
Most fans don't know 90% of the players being drafted. They only know the top players. So when a player is selected and they go "who", they will say it was a bad pick.

When this occurs and I don't know the player I trust the scouting department who do this for a living.

Interesting tidbit. On BTB they had a list of 40 players that were combine interviews, player visits, and Dallas day. All three Dallas draft picks so far are on this list. We'll see if this trend continues.