CFZ Do We Not Get Tired or Doing the Same Thing Over and Over?

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
1st and 3rd round picks were sound. Reaching for a 3rd round TE in the 2nd is frustrating but the team clearly saw the position as a glaring need.
I think it's more than that. His RAS scores are off the charts and they really liked his attitude and approach to the game from what I understand. I'd be lying if I said I've taken a fine tooth comb to his film, but the bit that I have watched looks pretty decent, but maybe not extraordinary.

Every draft pick is a projection of how the scouts, coaches, and front office believe any given player will impact the team. Sure, maybe there were better players on the board. Have we as fans factored in how they will fit in our system? How these personalities will mesh in the locker room? How their work ethics will rub off on their teammates? Or how their skill sets will benefit the whole?

Mazi Smith wasn't a sexy pick. He's a humongous human being that clogged running lanes throughout his collegiate career. He registered half a sack at Michigan and on paper, his stats aren't all that impressive. Why was he the pick at 26? Because clogging running lanes creates opportunities for 2nd/3rd and long where our pass rushers thrive. That single draft pick probably changes the entire dynamic of the defense, and elevates them to levels we haven't seen here in awhile.

I'm not saying Schoonmaker is that sort of difference maker, nor should he be expected to be as a third round selection, but the coaches saw an incredibly athletic player with a great mindset and approach to the game that they felt could be molded into something more than what he showed in Michigan's run heavy, decent QB lacking system.

Long story just a bit longer, these guys have proven they know what they're doing. It's easy to complain because such and such player was graded higher by the talking heads and he wasn't the pick. We've been shown time and again that Dallas is as good as they come in the draft, and it's incredibly arrogant to assume that we as fans know better than a team of professionals with a proven track record of success. Not pointing this at you by any means. Just wanted to put it out there for the masses.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Fans have this little tendency of studying players, and building their mock draft. When the Cowboys go in a totally different direction, then fans get upset. They don't understand this one tidbit, THE COWBOYS DO WHAT THEY WANT NOT WHAT YOU WANT. So as I've said before, I don't study any player until after we draft them. I've been happier ever since.
This ^^^^^^^^ x 1000 ........we all play draft guru with a million mocks but at the end of the day, we don't know. Hell, even teams can't guarantee how players turn out after investing millions of dollars trying to get it right.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think it's more than that. His RAS scores are off the charts and they really liked his attitude and approach to the game from what I understand. I'd be lying if I said I've taken a fine tooth comb to his film, but the bit that I have watched looks pretty decent, but maybe not extraordinary.

Every draft pick is a projection of how the scouts, coaches, and front office believe any given player will impact the team. Sure, maybe there were better players on the board. Have we as fans factored in how they will fit in our system? How these personalities will mesh in the locker room? How their work ethics will rub off on their teammates? Or how their skill sets will benefit the whole?

Mazi Smith wasn't a sexy pick. He's a humongous human being that clogged running lanes throughout his collegiate career. He registered half a sack at Michigan and on paper, his stats aren't all that impressive. Why was he the pick at 26? Because clogging running lanes creates opportunities for 2nd/3rd and long where our pass rushers thrive. That single draft pick probably changes the entire dynamic of the defense, and elevates them to levels we haven't seen here in awhile.

I'm not saying Schoonmaker is that sort of difference maker, nor should he be expected to be as a third round selection, but the coaches saw an incredibly athletic player with a great mindset and approach to the game that they felt could be molded into something more than what he showed in Michigan's run heavy, decent QB lacking system.

Long story just a bit longer, these guys have proven they know what they're doing. It's easy to complain because such and such player was graded higher by the talking heads and he wasn't the pick. We've been shown time and again that Dallas is as good as they come in the draft, and it's incredibly arrogant to assume that we as fans know better than a team of professionals with a proven track record of success. Not pointing this at you by any means. Just wanted to put it out there for the masses.
Good post

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
Just build a Super Bowl winning and caliber roster please. Hopefully these jig saw Jerruh pieces will fit.

Kwyn

Reaction score
It seems like literally every year we complain about most of our picks. If it isn’t the first rounder, it’s the second. If it’s not the second, it’s the third. From Travis Frederick to Tyler Smith, so many complain about who the guy is just to turn around 5 months later and say “wow good job Dallas!”.

Obviously we have our guys we want and it can be disappointing to be invested in the draft and see a name you don’t want to see. But we have to remember that we are fans and we take media grades and watch some highlights and think we know what the boards are when in actuality we have zero idea what scouts across the league have ranked these guys.

My advice, calm down and take some solace in the fact that if there’s one thing this franchise has done right the last 8 or so years it’s the draft. More than likely, 2/3 of these guys will be real high caliber contributors.

Look at last year. People hated the Smith and Williams picks lol now they are probably going to be strong pieces moving forward. Did Schoon and Overshown surprise me? Sure. But am I losing sleep over it? No way. More than likely we end up really liking the class.

And lmao someone compared this to 2009. We aren’t a top of the league organization but c’mon guys. If you think the 2023 Cowboys are being run like the 2009 Cowboys then you’re just not paying attention.
We eat our young here in the Zone. Anything less than a perennial all pro is absolute failure and every player we don’t take is a sure fire first ballot hall of famer.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Could've got a starting OG.
O’Cyrus? Zavala? What OG is a definite starter?

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Schoonmaker is our starting tight end before long because I think the fans vastly overrate Ferguson and hendershot.

links18

Reaction score
People will complain about anything. They will even complain about people complaining.

JayFord

Reaction score
the fans here arent fans and some are trolls from other sites and just want to cause discord

no fan of this team acts this way every year unless theyre 12

conner01

Reaction score
in the grand scheme of football fanhood, this is typically the main reason why anyone protests as much as they do

because their "pet cats", and their "mawk draftz", and essentially their manhood, didn't go the way they wanted it to

oh well
We all think we can scout like the experts lol
I generally see the point of a pick even if it’s not they way I would have went
But I have to say I am not too excited about these selections
We needed a guard, didn’t get one
We have 2 of our top 4 CB FA next year, we didn’t add one
We have our center a FA next year, we didn’t get one

Grenic

Reaction score
the fans here arent fans and some are trolls from other sites and just want to cause discord

no fan of this team acts this way every year unless theyre 12
That is total and complete BS. I was in my 30s last time they went late into the playoffs, im almost 60, that is just stupid

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Fans have this little tendency of studying players, and building their mock draft. When the Cowboys go in a totally different direction, then fans get upset. They don't understand this one tidbit, THE COWBOYS DO WHAT THEY WANT NOT WHAT YOU WANT. So as I've said before, I don't study any player until after we draft them. I've been happier ever since.
What is like to know is who these fans are that have any time to do analysis of college players. Like seriously, who are these people?

JayFord

Reaction score
I mean im pushing 40 and this team hasnt won a SB let alone been to a NFCCG since i was 8

i get the frustration but its overdone every year around draft time and the frequent meltdowns are annoying

I live around commanders fans and even have been on their board they dont meltdown half as much as we do and they havent done squat or even been relevant since 1991

check it...the commanders are the only team that hasnt won more than 10 games in a season since 1991 and their fans are more optimistic (borderline dilusional if not outright) about their team

Bagman

Reaction score
It seems like literally every year we complain about most of our picks. If it isn’t the first rounder, it’s the second. If it’s not the second, it’s the third. From Travis Frederick to Tyler Smith, so many complain about who the guy is just to turn around 5 months later and say “wow good job Dallas!”.

Obviously we have our guys we want and it can be disappointing to be invested in the draft and see a name you don’t want to see. But we have to remember that we are fans and we take media grades and watch some highlights and think we know what the boards are when in actuality we have zero idea what scouts across the league have ranked these guys.

My advice, calm down and take some solace in the fact that if there’s one thing this franchise has done right the last 8 or so years it’s the draft. More than likely, 2/3 of these guys will be real high caliber contributors.

Look at last year. People hated the Smith and Williams picks lol now they are probably going to be strong pieces moving forward. Did Schoon and Overshown surprise me? Sure. But am I losing sleep over it? No way. More than likely we end up really liking the class.

And lmao someone compared this to 2009. We aren’t a top of the league organization but c’mon guys. If you think the 2023 Cowboys are being run like the 2009 Cowboys then you’re just not paying attention.
Excellent post