CFZ Do We Really Want OBJ?

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Some are still reticent to admit that sending Cooper off was indeed a mistake. You wouldn't need Cooks nor OBJ.
It wasnt a mistake sending him off. Getting only a 5th after bashing him all off-season was the mistake.

You used a 1st round pick on a WR in 2020 after giving Amari $100m. Ceedee is eligible for a contract extension this season.

You are ok with having 2 WRs making $20+ while Micah and Diggs need extensions soon too.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I have to be honest I wanted OBJ a lot about a month ago. The longer we wait the less interested I become. I wanted the OBJ that would be willing to sign weeks ago and already be at practice and meetings developing relationships with his coaches and teammates, while also collaborating with the medical staff here.

I wont say it's too late, and I wont sit here and say that I wont be excited if they do sign the guy, but my enthusiasm has gone down considerably. Especially with visiting two other teams this week prior to Dallas. Either he wants to be a Cowboys or he doesn't, I'm over the drama.

Exactly. Only so much he can do in so much time to not only know the plays, but to get himself in shape for the game.

I'd rather have Gallup and Brown at this point.

infamousstyles

Reaction score
I think about it in reference to a possible nfc championship game and Super Bowl appearance. I feel like either one of those games, we could be in a shootout. Can our current wr core compete against the eagles, bills, or chiefs if it comes down to that type of game? I don’t believe so. That’s the main reason why I’d want obj.

quickccc

Reaction score
I think if we do sign Beckham, there should be protection plans,.. escape clauses and opt outs.
If his emotional behaviors become disruptive, the Cowboys should be in a position to protect themselves to move on without leaving a dead money cap hit post-Beckham.

We've had opt outs in place for several players,. ala Amari, Cooper, DLaw,(even Zeke has an opt out clause) .. we even had some clauses and conditions ready for Randy Gregory
in the event he had re-signed with us.

quickccc

Reaction score
Odell Beckham Jr:

CONCERNS
- His emotions can sometimes make him a diva. He’s had malcontent issues with two different NFL teams ala NYG and Cleveland; ..
-was only with Rams, for a short time, at later end of their SB win run., but if he were with them this year - during a down, losing season in '22,
what then would be his mood and reactions ?

- Cowboys have always stride to make the atmosphere “ Dak-friendly” .. would that stay if we sign on OBJ ?
We've departed from lead WRs in Dez Bryant and Amari Cooper .. would OBJ be any different ?
So what is the safeguard against the past and rap of Beckham as a malcontent ? Will he be in Dak’s ear griping when the going gets rough ?

- He’s had two ACL tears during his career. (same knee?) That could be a concern, especially for a 30 year older.
- Unlike Gallup’s ACL recovery, he has not played in games this year, where he can
work back into play mode.
So I'm skeptical he would be top notch immediately nor down the stretch this year,
this playoffs, imo.

- He is already age 30, and speed type guys, usually do not last long into their 30’s.
so there’s really only a 3 year window, imo.
And as a player gets older, does he become more susceptible and slowed by injuries ?

STRENGTHS
- At the top of his game, Beckham is a vertical deep threat, he has a lighting release off the line, and terrific footwork/change of direction. He is difficult to jam, and he gets separation.
(is separation an issue with our current WRs ?)

- He does have the dropsies, but he also has made highlight circus catches- even with defenders hanging over and onto to him.
- While he can be overly emotional that’s led to bone head flags or sideline rants, but he’s also ultra-competitive- that alpha male mentality combined with elite skill set brings a lead WR
who can give the better coverage CBs hell. ... who can consistently beat the better coverage CBs.
- Amari could not do that … and it’s questionable that Lamb can do that.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really dont, he would intimidate our young players who are playing well already, I think it would mess up our mojo. Plus I think our wonder boy running the offense would stop calling running plays as much that we need to stay balanced.