Do we rest week 17?

J12B

Reaction score
Simple question, if we beat the Eagles do we rest everyone in the final game, or do we play them the whole game, or do we play them part of the game (like the first half). I am sort of inclined towards the latter. I think they need to play otherwise they will come out lazy against (most likely) the Seahawks, but I think they do need some rest especially the o-line (and I don't like the idea of putting Dak behind a backup line). What do you guys think>

Let's get a win week 16 first before discussing resting players.

Flamma

Reaction score
Another reason I want to see us win the season finale if we beat Philly on Sunday, is it will give us a winning season. I would feel a heck of a lot better about our chances in the playoffs being 9-7 than 8-8. There’s been three 9-7 teams reach the Super Bowl, the 79 Rams, 2008 Cardinals and the 2011 Giants. The 9-7 2011 Giants went on to win the Super Bowl but no 8-8 team has ever made it to the Super Bowl. A 500 team has no business being in the playoffs.

Dallas might end up 8-8 anyway. If Dallas beats the Eagles you know Garrett is going to rest any and all players with the slightest of injuries. Dak will probably play one series at best.

CWR

Reaction score
Another reason I want to see us win the season finale if we beat Philly on Sunday, is it will give us a winning season. I would feel a heck of a lot better about our chances in the playoffs being 9-7 than 8-8. There’s been three 9-7 teams reach the Super Bowl, the 79 Rams, 2008 Cardinals and the 2011 Giants. The 9-7 2011 Giants went on to win the Super Bowl but no 8-8 team has ever made it to the Super Bowl. A 500 team has no business being in the playoffs.

Yes and that Giants team played everyone week 17 trying to beat an undefeated Pats team with nothing to gain other than momentum and confidence. AT LEAST thats my recollection. Its been awhile so feel free to correct me if Im wrong.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Doesn't really matter. We played balls out in 2014 to end the year against the Skins and had a disappointing playoff run. We rested everyone after a drive in 2016 and lost in our first playoff game. Played balls out last year to end the season against NYG and had a disappointing playoff run. There is no right or wrong way to approach it. But with only being allowed to dress 46 players, how many people can you really rest, especially with injuries we already have?

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
No. Keep playing. That's what they're paid for. Work until the job is finished.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Simple question, if we beat the Eagles do we rest everyone in the final game, or do we play them the whole game, or do we play them part of the game (like the first half). I am sort of inclined towards the latter. I think they need to play otherwise they will come out lazy against (most likely) the Seahawks, but I think they do need some rest especially the o-line (and I don't like the idea of putting Dak behind a backup line). What do you guys think>

The Cowboys need all the live action time to keep or sharpen all aspects of their game going into the playoffs. They need all of that time getting things thrown at them unlike getting scripted things in practice. If the Cowboys were like 12-3 or 11-4 going into this game I'd say play the starters for a couple of series and pull them and not risk injury, but they would be 8-7 going into that last game and need that live action to get or remain sharp.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
We haven’t made it to week 17 yet.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
I don’t know... maybe rest a few, let a few others play, like how we did last last year. If we win against Philly, we need to gain momentum.

I give you a lot of **** on this forum and when I do it's usually because I feel like you deserve it. I just wanted to say that you've toned down on the negativity a lot and I think it's been a pleasant surprise. I understand this team has without a doubt deserved the criticism it warrants at times and I'll try to do better at not attacking you when you do it from time to time. I feel like enough time as passed since the 28 point comment on the Rams game and I come to you with a peace offering. I can tell you're a true Cowboy fan and me saying you aren't one is wrong. My apologies. Go Cowboys.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You know that coward Garrett would rest every starter he could if he clinched the division this week.

It's "smart" and stuff.

mmohican29

Reaction score
No.

Except Dak if his injury warrants his lineup removal.

Everyone else plays, and plays to win.

snadler

Reaction score

why post this now? I mean can they win a second straight game which I have my doubts before they even consider this..

dfense

Reaction score
No. Garrett leaves the Cowboys 18-0 against the East the last 18 games.

CB61

Reaction score
That's a tough call if people are hurting I say rest them let the backups get some work just in case but definitely maybe a half of work just to stay Sharp I know that's a funny saying in Dallas this year but

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Doesnt it seem the least bit odd that we are thinking about resting players as if we are 12-2?
I understand the concept: rest players during a meaningless game or stretch.
What if the Egirls do a beatdown on us? What if the Skins dig deep to find a way to humble us?

Such a prideful bunch we are.
Wake up and smell the stench of a 7-7 year so far!
Rest is for champs. We clearly are just chumps at the moment.:oops: