Do you draft a WR with the 19'th pick?

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Recently, drafting wide receivers seems like risky business. It’s so hard to gauge how these players transition from their college team to their new team in the NFL. Last year, there were three receivers drafted in the top 10 of the draft - Corey Davis (5th overall), Mike Williams (7th overall), and John Ross (9th overall). Many people thought they were going to be exceptional talents in the NFL, but so far - they’re off to a rocky start. They all had a collective total of zero touchdown receptions last season. And it wasn’t just last year where they’ve underperformed. If you go back over the last three drafts, you’re going to find a great deal of teams disappointed with their first-round WR investments. That’s not to say all first-round wideouts are like that, but it’s something to be mindful of. How much of a sure bet is Ridley versus, say a player like Will Hernandez who is essentially guaranteed to help make this team better?

Does that mean the Cowboys should take a second-round graded guard before one of the blue-chip players in the draft? No, it shouldn’t.

Ridley’s a great talent and unless you believe otherwise - he’s the easy pick at 19 if he’s available. And if Brugler’s prediction is correct, he’s a coin flip away from being an option for the Cowboys in April.

If Ridley is there at 19, do you hope the Cowboys draft him?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I would, if we like the player as a true, you had better double this guy, #1. We need to be looking for a new #1, even if we keep Dez this year.

What has hurt our WR corps are all the gimmick and marginal/ST players we've had on the team at WR. Beasley, Switzer, Brown. 3 roster spots for guys who don't fit the bill as true wideouts.

It has also hurt that the one outside player we took, we refused to use that much - Butler.

I'd rather be churning 2 or 3 Butler/Robinsons all the time. Guys that some other team has spent a few years training, who seem to be limited by situation more than underlying talent. I think you can get solid #2s that way, and won't have to eat roster spots ourselves as they get up to NFL speed.

visionary

Reaction score
Only on 3 conditions:

1. If Ridley is available at 19

And

2. We have signed Poe in FA

And

3. We are planning to move on from Dez this year or next

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I never want a WR in the first, and my opinion was no different this year initially, but after contemplating and evaluating how we will probably pass on a true 1T, or Guard,
if that's the scenario than why not.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I enjoyed learning something in the O.P.
It's entertaining to envision scoring that golden BB W.R. but if the Q.B. can't hit a fence post 'x' out of 'y' attempts at 'Z' yards distance, which is probally why those recent W.R. top end picks have been non-factors,that first round pick needs to be shopped around for it's best value, which isn't at RECEIVER(IMO)

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Someone said defense defense defense. I say tell me why baby, why baby, why baby why... in the words of George Jones.... don't make me cry baby, cry baby, cry baby cry

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
So with all these top notch QB's in the draft someone is gonna fall if they're all top notch. Roquan? Ridley? Forget Vea, we ain't goin there. Hell's bells I'd take Ridley and be rid of T Will!! Route runner and speed?? Lawd's yes!! Assume he has hands. Sort of a co # 1 as someone suggested!! Let's be realistic. Dez ain't goin nowhere in 2018. A contract rework probably. So Dez, T will, Bease and Ridley with Ridley running T Will down! Mikey likes it :)

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I enjoyed learning something in the O.P.
It's entertaining to envision scoring that golden BB W.R. but if the Q.B. can't hit a fence post 'x' out of 'y' attempts at 'Z' yards distance, which is probally why those recent W.R. top end picks have been non-factors,that first round pick needs to be shopped around for it's best value, which isn't at RECEIVER(IMO)

hehe QB can't hit a fence post. I like that. We used to have cattle on the farm, we got rid of he cattle and the fence posts!!

RandyOh

Reaction score
It doesn't matters what we hope for. If hes their at 19 he will probably be taken over everyone except Nelson, B Chubbs, Fitzpatrick, James, or Edmunds.

tm1119

Reaction score
Nope...I just don’t see that big of a gap between who will be available at 19 and who will be available at 50.

Ridley
Sutton
Moore
Kirk
Chark
St Brown
Miller
Washington

Any of those 8 will do for me and I feel pretty confident at least 1 will make it 50

And then there’s guys like Cain, Gallup, Pettis, Lalsley, and Hamilton who could possibly be had beyond 50 that are pretty good prospects as well.

WR’s are a crapshoot in general. All about getting the right guy in the right spot. I just named 13 guys I like in the top 3 rounds and it’s probable that a max of only 5 or 6 will succeed in the NFL.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Nope...I just don’t see that big of a gap between who will be available at 19 and who will be available at 50.

Ridley
Sutton
Moore
Kirk
Chark
St Brown
Miller
Washington

Any of those 8 will do for me and I feel pretty confident at least 1 will make it 50

And then there’s guys like Cain, Gallup, Pettis, Lalsley, and Hamilton who could possibly be had beyond 50 that are pretty good prospects as well.

WR’s are a crapshoot in general. All about getting the right guy in the right spot. I just named 13 guys I like in the top 3 rounds and it’s probable that a max of only 5 or 6 will succeed in the NFL.
I have Washington higher than most but that's just me.
Ridley
Kirk
Washington

Out of this group, I see Washington carving out a pro career.

Techsass

Reaction score
After reading the write ups on this year's class, I wouldn't. Of course my choices may not be the best. I was dead set on Ramsey & completely dumbfounded that we passed on Jack.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I would if it's Calvin Ridley.

if it's not Ridley....Payne,Wynn,Hernandez,Evans are my plan b....if they are all gone,Id consider DJ Moore.

PUSHfold

Reaction score
No and No...just don't think we need elite receivers like that. We're a run first team..I'd rather draft a OG, DL, LB, or trade up to get Derwin if he falls anywhere close.