Do you draft a WR with the 19'th pick?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
3. We are planning to move on from Dez this year or next

We need WRs, and could have an all new crew by next year.

Beasley is in his last year, Williams is in his last guaranteed year, and Dez is overpaid by a lot. Because we can't turn over Williams this year, and shouldn't let go of Beasley at his current price, we almost have to move on from Dez this year to start turning over at the top.

Jake0

Reaction score
No way, this draft is deep at WR and weak at the top. 1st round WR is generally bad already, but this draft makes a no a hell no. Some really good players will fall to 2nd/3rd round for sure.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Only on 3 conditions:

1. If Ridley is available at 19

And

2. We have signed Poe in FA

And

3. We are planning to move on from Dez this year or next

Wouldnt keeping Dez at a lower cost along with say DJ Moore improve the WR core? The team has said they are going to do everything they can to get Dez at a lower cost and if all that fails then he would be released. Considering we havent heard anything i think they are working something out or atleast having talks. We will know by monday though.

DL isnt the root of this teams problems. Hell defense isnt the root of this teams problems. Even during Dallas slump last yr they held leads in ATL PHI going into the 2nd half because the defense was holding up. But they ran out of gas because the offense couldnt get anything going. The prolems on this team are on offense. Wether thats scheme or players thats the problem, not the def. They do need a MLB if they indeed plan on not playing Smith there. But is MLB really a big need? Because teams play in nickle the majority of the games because of how the game is played today. Is the MIKE really going to play much? Smith and Lee will most likely be on the field. If this team isnt going WR in round 1, i think its gotta be Vander Esch

bodi

Reaction score
NO I go with LM , think its gotta be Vander Esch

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
I’d rather go OL or DL but if our top targets are gone at Ridley is still there I’d probably do it

kskboys

Reaction score
Wouldnt keeping Dez at a lower cost along with say DJ Moore improve the WR core? The team has said they are going to do everything they can to get Dez at a lower cost and if all that fails then he would be released. Considering we havent heard anything i think they are working something out or atleast having talks. We will know by monday though.

DL isnt the root of this teams problems. Hell defense isnt the root of this teams problems. Even during Dallas slump last yr they held leads in ATL PHI going into the 2nd half because the defense was holding up. But they ran out of gas because the offense couldnt get anything going. The prolems on this team are on offense. Wether thats scheme or players thats the problem, not the def. They do need a MLB if they indeed plan on not playing Smith there. But is MLB really a big need? Because teams play in nickle the majority of the games because of how the game is played today. Is the MIKE really going to play much? Smith and Lee will most likely be on the field. If this team isnt going WR in round 1, i think its gotta be Vander Esch
Yes it is.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I'd prefer not to as it's a weak class.

The only guys with #1 potential are Sutton and St Brown and that's quite a risk as they have some flaws.

Dallas_Cowboys50

Reaction score
The only way I dont want Ridley at #19 is if we can go Defense and somehow still wind up with D.J. Moore at #50 or trade up or whatever......

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I was thinking about this before I got to the computer. Is there really a 1st RD WR in this class?

Calvin Ridley is already what 23 years old, do you think a team is going to invest a 1st round pick on a skill position player especially at one the is speed driven on a guy who will be knocking on the door of 30 when he is up for a new contract IMO I do not see it at all. Ridley went to big time college with top nutrition, top S&C coaches and programs and and at his age he is 190 and I don't see him gaining much more.

DJ Moore love the players but are you okay with drafting a career #2 wr in the 1st even if hes a top end #2?

Courtland Sutton is a big WR but he has a lot of work to do, played lesser competition, and isn't a sub 4.5 guy with mind boggling leaping ability.

Christian Kirk I love the explosiveness with the ball in his hands but the short arms scare me and what people are saying about him being mainly a slot guy might hold true. Not drafting a slot guy in the 1st.

DJ Chark is a height, weight, speed guy that the NFL covets, but a lack of production could be placed on poor scheme fit/ play calling, and below average QB play. He seems to be a guy teams will draft in the 1st, but is he one of those guys you are praying to be something more then he was in college like the Stephen Hill guy the Jets took a little while back.

At the end of the day this draft is rich at WR in depth, but nobody IMO we should take at 19 and even if we traded back IMO.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I would prefer defense, but if we get wiped out and have to go offense................yea, Ridley is universally considered the top guy in the class.

I would not be upset over the pick.............at least this way we can kick Twill to the curb next year.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Recently, drafting wide receivers seems like risky business. It’s so hard to gauge how these players transition from their college team to their new team in the NFL. Last year, there were three receivers drafted in the top 10 of the draft - Corey Davis (5th overall), Mike Williams (7th overall), and John Ross (9th overall). Many people thought they were going to be exceptional talents in the NFL, but so far - they’re off to a rocky start. They all had a collective total of zero touchdown receptions last season. And it wasn’t just last year where they’ve underperformed. If you go back over the last three drafts, you’re going to find a great deal of teams disappointed with their first-round WR investments. That’s not to say all first-round wideouts are like that, but it’s something to be mindful of. How much of a sure bet is Ridley versus, say a player like Will Hernandez who is essentially guaranteed to help make this team better?

Does that mean the Cowboys should take a second-round graded guard before one of the blue-chip players in the draft? No, it shouldn’t.

Ridley’s a great talent and unless you believe otherwise - he’s the easy pick at 19 if he’s available. And if Brugler’s prediction is correct, he’s a coin flip away from being an option for the Cowboys in April.

If Ridley is there at 19, do you hope the Cowboys draft him?

WR is the top need and Ridley at #19 is likely the BPA.

My concern with Ridley is that he might be more ready now due to being a little older, but he might not be the highest upside WR.

WR is one of those positions where the mental-makeup needs be closely evaluated.

Tristan

Reaction score
Ridley is the only legit blue chip wr in this draft, he wont be available at 19 imo because he is to good!

If he did fall then he should and would probably be easily the highest rated player on our board and a gift that falls into our lap at a true position of weakness.

My only issue w dez was the drops/fumbles, his speed and age are not a concern for me yet because of the way he trains. I hope we keep dez and restructure his deal, but if the drops continue I cut him immidiately! Im hoping it was a hand injury or sonething because dez has always had great hand imo.

That said Dez needs a guy like Ridley or (Sammy Watkins) opposite him anyway at this point, hes not calvin Johnson

Unless we can sign a guy like Watkins, Id love a chance to add a dynamic guy like Ridley with great hands and route running to our offense.

I agree w the age concerns but Il worry about 7 years from now 7 years from now.

Ive heard enough interviews w his bama defensive teamates that in theyre opinion this dude is on a whole nother level and that they had no one on theyre defense that could stay with him one on one,

Rashan Evans said they wouldn't even dare leave him one on one in practice because he would kill them everytime, we need that!

cnuball21

Reaction score
Ridley is the only legit blue chip wr in this draft, he wont be available at 19 imo because he is to good!

If he did fall then he should and would probably be easily the highest rated player on our board and a gift that falls into our lap at a true position of weakness.

My only issue w dez was the drops/fumbles, his speed and age are not a concern for me yet because of the way he trains. I hope we keep dez and restructure his deal, but if the drops continue I cut him immidiately! Im hoping it was a hand injury or sonething because dez has always had great hand imo.

That said Dez needs a guy like Ridley or (Sammy Watkins) opposite him anyway at this point, hes not calvin Johnson

Unless we can sign a guy like Watkins, Id love a chance to add a dynamic guy like Ridley with great hands and route running to our offense.

I agree w the age concerns but Il worry about 7 years from now 7 years from now.

Ive heard enough interviews w his bama defensive teamates that in theyre opinion this dude is on a whole nother level and that they had no one on theyre defense that could stay with him one on one,

Rashan Evans said they wouldn't even dare leave him one on one in practice because he would kill them everytime, we need that!

There's not a blue chip WR in this class.

Ridley is a quality prospect, but blue chip WR prospects aren't 190 pounds (likely less).

Oreycsg

Reaction score
Id rather wait and draft EQ St. Brown. But i wouldn't be mad if Ridley makes it here.

Oreycsg

Reaction score
There's not a blue chip WR in this class.

Ridley is a quality prospect, but blue chip WR prospects aren't 190 pounds (likely less).

No... but they are 6'5", 214 LBS, 33" wingspan, 9 1/4" hands and runs a 4.48 with 20 reps on the bench. That is a blue chip WR if ive ever seen one measurable wise. His football IQ is through the roof too. Im telling yall this is our boy. Big AND fast. Best of both worlds

cnuball21

Reaction score
No... but they are 6'5", 214 LBS, 33" wingspan, 9 1/4" hands and runs a 4.48 with 20 reps on the bench. That is a blue chip WR if ive ever seen one measurable wise. His football IQ is through the roof too. Im telling yall this is our boy. Big AND fast. Best of both worlds

From a size/ athleticism standpoint, yes.

Unfortunately the production and what's on tape doesn't match that.

Part of that is due to poor QB play part of it is due to him.

Oreycsg

Reaction score
From a size/ athleticism standpoint, yes.

Unfortunately the production and what's on tape doesn't match that.

Part of that is due to poor QB play part of it is due to him.

I agree that his production isn't there which is sad for me. I would have loved to have seen his numbers go up, but unfortunately ND is just a bag of suck right now. Im not sure Jerry Rice coulda caught more than 800 yards on that team(hyperbole). It sucks. But in his tape you can see him getting open pretty consistently, atleast when i is in off coverage. Pres is another story.