Do You Have A Diet Plan and Workout That You Do?

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
I was a huge weight room guy for the better part of 15+ years. At my heaviest, I was 6'5" and 250lbs. It became an addiction as I would seriously worry if I missed ONE gym session. Once I got to the 'just maintain' part in the journey, working out started to feel less enjoyable and more like a job. Once I realized that I was working a second 'job', and like @Rockport noted above, that was the end of the road for me. I still try to eat clean and still keep in shape but I always ensure that I'm having fun doing so. It's a tough balancing act but the reward is greater when you're doing it the right way.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
When I was young in my prime, I used to lift all the time. Now that I'm old and fat, I'll have none of that.

Actually, I had fusion surgery on my back 6 months ago so I haven't been able to do much in the way of exercising other than walking. I spoke with my doc and he said I can use certain machines and exercises so I'm going to get back into it a little at a time.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When I was young in my prime, I used to lift all the time. Now that I'm old and fat, I'll have none of that.

Actually, I had fusion surgery on my back 6 months ago so I haven't been able to do much in the way of exercising other than walking. I spoke with my doc and he said I can use certain machines and exercises so I'm going to get back into it a little at a time.
Quick, how is that working out for you? I had cervical fusion and have two herniated L discs but I haven't heard of many successful fusions with the back. And it seems wacky but with the additional risk with cervical ones, they have a higher success rate.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Quick, how is that working out for you? I had cervical fusion and have two herniated L discs but I haven't heard of many successful fusions with the back. And it seems wacky but with the additional risk with cervical ones, they have a higher success rate.
So far so good. Still have some discomfort but it's more from not being fully healed. The psychotic nerve pain I had is gone. L4 and L5 were fused. I'm hoping I don't have a return visit for the ones above that but I hear it can happen over time. I just hope not.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So far so good. Still have some discomfort but it's more from not being fully healed. The psychotic nerve pain I had is gone. L4 and L5 were fused. I'm hoping I don't have a return visit for the ones above that but I hear it can happen over time. I just hope not.
I actually jammed my neck up in high school, ended a promising career in Physics.

Depending on where the fusion is and the stress points, it can lead to more herniations. My neurosurgeon told me that some people are just prone to disc issues and it's not necessarily injury related, although me neck was a football injury compounded by two more events involving that C 6 and 7.

I have a friend that blew a disc sneezing. If they're weak, doesn't take much to blow one.

Glad you are on the mend and you're getting that quick draw back. Getting beat by a sloth was embarrassing.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Nope...

I seem to be taking the Mickey Mantle approach to health and fitness.
It is a fun approach but not good one in the end. Hope you live a lot longer life than Mickey Mantle.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Hey...check this out. My avatar pic is what I just bought at that super market. Fresh berrie crème brûlée ..and yes,it’s really in a glass dish. I’m gonna go broke at that place.

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
I would look up vinnie tortorich no sugar no grain. If I ever get serious about weight loss and working out that is what I would do.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Great thread!!! I just turned 39 this last Monday and my health has been weighing heavily on my mind lately. I was in GREAT shape in my adolescent years. During my late 20's I let that start slipping (so easy to be complacent eh?) and it got worse in my 30's. I got way too hooked on soda (yeah I know how terrible it is) in my mid 30's and I want to stop. I've had a few successful attempts but fall back in the trap. I joke that most men have a beer belly and I have a soda belly.

I'm not super fat but I am a bit overweight. I think with some discipline and exercise I could shed some weight and get back on track. I half joke about how they must put something addictive in soda/energy drinks because they are hard to quit. I think quitting those alone would help me reach my goal tremendously.

At any rate, staring down the barrel of 40, I truly want to make some changes. My question to you all is..................

How, where, what can I find as a healthy alternative to soda/energy drinks? I do awesome with water at work but for some reason when I get home it's like my brain clicks on this zombie "I neeeeeeeed sooooooooda" mentality. I hate it. All advice welcome.

roughneck266

Reaction score
I was on a diet. Went from 260 to 145, up to 200 now ... but will be going back on my diet soon. Excercise is not possible for me at this point, so I need to be vigilante diet wise...lol.
Losing that much weight without exercising i s pretty impressive.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Great thread!!! I just turned 39 this last Monday and my health has been weighing heavily on my mind lately. I was in GREAT shape in my adolescent years. During my late 20's I let that start slipping (so easy to be complacent eh?) and it got worse in my 30's. I got way too hooked on soda (yeah I know how terrible it is) in my mid 30's and I want to stop. I've had a few successful attempts but fall back in the trap. I joke that most men have a beer belly and I have a soda belly.

I'm not super fat but I am a bit overweight. I think with some discipline and exercise I could shed some weight and get back on track. I half joke about how they must put something addictive in soda/energy drinks because they are hard to quit. I think quitting those alone would help me reach my goal tremendously.

At any rate, staring down the barrel of 40, I truly want to make some changes. My question to you all is..................

How, where, what can I find as a healthy alternative to soda/energy drinks? I do awesome with water at work but for some reason when I get home it's like my brain clicks on this zombie "I neeeeeeeed sooooooooda" mentality. I hate it. All advice welcome.
Just drink caffeine free like Root Beer,or like me with sugar free Coke Zero. You don’t drink as much...now I can’t even stand regular soda.

Cowboys_22

Reaction score

My wife does all the grocery shopping, she just stopped buying soft drinks about 20 years ago. If it’s not around the house, you won’t drink it lol. After a couple of months you won’t miss it either.

I still drink some on occasion when we go out but very rarely. All that sugar can’t be good for you. My 2 cents :cool:

Praxit

Reaction score
I usually run/jog my *** off and do at least 2 - 6K's a week. Sometimes, I squeeze one extra 6K in there if I can. I like jogging, been doing it for the last 15 yrs or so. In return it helps to maintain weight and feel better over all.
As for diet control, I try not to eat anything past 6:00 PM. Just drink water or juice.

...But I must tell you guys something strange that began happening to me while running. About 3 months ago, while jogging I began experiencing dry mouth with the feeling of my throat becoming smaller or tightening. I would stop and begin to cough, trying to lubricate the area. Since I dont carry a water bottle with me, I would get a little panicky..lol.. Looking a bit odd wheezing and coughing, I just walk the rest of the way. I'd get to the car and drink water, rest a little and try to jog a bit more. The symptoms would still persist.

During this time, I'm bewildered trying to figure this out. This has never happen to me before. Every time I ran now in the following weeks it happened. I told the wife about it, she was baffled as I was.

Ok, here's the weirder part. One particular night, I was looking up vitamins on my phone. Laying there at night just browsing. Somehow I fell into the B vitamins and their healing properties. One of the symptoms of deficiency is Swelling of theTongue.....>>>> That's right Swollen Tongue. I shot straight up like a rocket. I began to ruminate in my mind, is that what I was feeling when I ran? Next day I went out bought a B-complex. Took them for about 3 days before I ran again.

Well, next time I run the symptoms are basically gone. I could breathe deeper and mouth wasn't dry. I ran again the following day and weeks after with basically symptoms gone. I was deficient in B vitamins. How and why it happened? I really don't know. ..:) I dont consider myself a lucky person, but for this instance and how it happened. I will say, I fell unto the right button.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
My wife does all the grocery shopping, she just stopped buying soft drinks about 20 years ago. If it’s not around the house, you won’t drink it lol. After a couple of months you won’t miss it either.

I still drink some on occasion when we go out but very rarely. All that sugar can’t be good for you. My 2 cents :cool:

I absolutely agree with you. I've told the wife SO many times not to bring it homes, then she does, and I always get the "it was on sale" line. However, I finally have her on board!!! Looking forward to the change.