Do you let a 24 year old game changing DT go to make your malcontent RB happy?

cern

Reaction score
I think someone as astute as Stephen has a handle on the cap issues. clearly the stated goal of the cowboys is to keep as many of the young, outstanding players as possible on the roster. cutswill more likely be made at positions where first and second team players are showing starting potential. d-backs come to mind. that would make guys like Byron jones expendable. tyrone Crawford would be another. even tavon Austin.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
No I would let byron jones walk, cut sean lee, witten, and ty craw before I let maliek out the door.

PoetTree

Reaction score
It's Byron Jones, next offseason, we will let go to accommodate Zeke; and it's worth it.

Remember that we passed on a generational talent @ corner (Jalen Ramsey) to draft Zeke #4 overall. The conclusion by the entire organization is that Zeke, by the way he impacts time-of-possession & protects the defense, was the more valuable player. Hence, they will go younger/cheaper at corner, count on Kris Richard (one of the best teachers in football) to coach them up, and keep their Hall-of-Fame halfback in the middle of the offense...

It's the contracts to Dak & Amari, both of which are going to be larger than Zeke's (Dak's considerably so), which may compel the 'boys to let Maliek walk. I'm with you, though, on wanting to keep him!

stinkface

Reaction score
5rBdBgZl.png

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
M Collins has looked like an absolute beast in preseason. Unblockable. He has flashed throughout his career so we know he has talent. He is playing for a contract so we know the risks there. We also know of the injury history. Let's say Collins goes boom this season. 16 starts. 10+ sacks. Beastly run defense. Going rate for a top DT is mid to high teens. Donald is at $22+ but he is a top 5 player in the game so no comparison. Collins is 24 years old. 24 years old!!!. You can't sign Dak, Cooper, Zeke and Collins. Sorry you can't.

Do you let a 24 year old game changing DT go so you can make your malcontent RB the highest paid RB in football?

Collins playing like an All Pro changes the Zeke thoughts, no?

Thanks in advance for your views.
I'd let Crawford go.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
If you're surprised that an oft injured talented but not great is having a carrer year in a contract year you're cute

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
What a stupid thread ....... Signing Zeke has nothing to do with signing Collins.

You agenda boys make up scenarios in your head to blame Zeke on.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
Exactly. 100% correct. Victims of good drafts. Wish the NFL gave Salary Cap carve outs for drafted players.
I’ve been saying this for a few years. Why should a good drafting team be punished? Maybe something like only 90% of a drafted players contract counts toward the salary cap? Or some other way of giving the team that drafted the player an edge.

Sandyf

Reaction score
I know fans believe we cannot sign Malik Collins or La'el Collins or Bryon Jones if we sign Zeke and Dak and Amari but we do not even know what the salary cap will be next year. An idea, yes but only if the NFL and NFLPA cannot agree on a new CBA early. There is pressure on both sides to get the deal done early because a new TV contract is about to happen, new huge gambling money is happening, and the last thing either side wants is a strike since they both lose quite a bit of money on those deals.

Both sides want less preseason games and that is going to happen. We will see more of the training camp scrimmages with another team thing. The NFLPA wants a bigger piece of the pie especially the the TV contract going up and the gambling money coming to the forefront. The owners want more games and playoffs that really count. There are other issues like size of roster, PS roster size, etc. but it still comes with a give and take. It will get worked out. When it does then we will know if Dallas can sign all of those guys or not, until then it is only speculation and fear so we should be happy just to wait and see.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
What a stupid thread ....... Signing Zeke has nothing to do with signing Collins.

You agenda boys make up scenarios in your head to blame Zeke on.

I forgot to block you. Just a dumb bomb thrower. Thanks for the reminder to block.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
M Collins has looked like an absolute beast in preseason. Unblockable. He has flashed throughout his career so we know he has talent. He is playing for a contract so we know the risks there. We also know of the injury history. Let's say Collins goes boom this season. 16 starts. 10+ sacks. Beastly run defense. Going rate for a top DT is mid to high teens. Donald is at $22+ but he is a top 5 player in the game so no comparison. Collins is 24 years old. 24 years old!!!. You can't sign Dak, Cooper, Zeke and Collins. Sorry you can't.

Do you let a 24 year old game changing DT go so you can make your malcontent RB the highest paid RB in football?

Collins playing like an All Pro changes the Zeke thoughts, no?

Thanks in advance for your views.

This is Collins we're talking about not Donald? Pre-season games are well practice. Collins has not shown this type of value up to now and therefore you keep the HB.
Now if this was between Donald and Zeke I'd have to say Donald but I would know that our offense would be down-graded greatly as our passing game or a rookie HB cannot make up for the impact a player like Zeke brings to the field.
It's a Cap game and those who manage it wisely (Not investing zillions for off-lineman) WIN!!!!!

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That isn’t true when 90% of the offense is based on the RB. The offense is bad enough as it is. Without Zeke , the offense would be beyond horrible.

Yes we our lopsided on offense and that is pretty much reason #1 we are not Superbowl bound......

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm talking Collins over Zeke, easier to find a decent RB that can play right away than finding a legit DT or any position for that matter besides kicker and punter
:muttley: Ok is the Troll Police around? Anyone anyone ????

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My hope is that the cowboys don't make a decision on Maliek based on his performance against 2nd and 3rd string OL in the preseason.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
10.5 sacks in 3 years vs. a rushing champ every time he's been on the field. Give me a freaking break.
I get it but RB's come into the league as what they are. Sometimes it takesA little bit to develop the DL. I hate to say it but "It's a prosess"..:laugh:

cern

Reaction score
No I would let byron jones walk, cut sean lee, witten, and ty craw before I let maliek out the door.
I agree on three of the four. just not lee this year. Kris Richard said it best. it all starts up front.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Exactly. 100% correct. Victims of good drafts. Wish the NFL gave Salary Cap carve outs for drafted players.

The NFL salary cap is so flexible that you don't need carve outs for drafted players.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Maliek Collins is immensely talented, but he's never made it through a season healthy. We can't pay everyone so I say save the money for the guys who are dependable, even if it means a little dip in talent.