Do you let a 24 year old game changing DT go to make your malcontent RB happy?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Since when has Collins been a game changing DT??? Not even close.....

I did not say that. I posed a hypothetical situation where he becomes one this year.

What the hell is wrong with people? Can’t you read for content?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
For the love of God read my post. I outlined the risks. I painted a hypothetical scenario where Collins balls out. I did not say he was a Game Changer today.
Well, assuming we sign Zeke, it's a moot point because we'll still be waiting for Collins to break out but Zeke will be in the fold.

John813

Reaction score
I'm a tad more concerned about his foot injuries. It's the same type of injury for 3 years?
If he posts a 8-10 sack year and where he's just a Donald-lite type of terror then you try to keep him.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I guess the Rams didn't get the memo. Collins is likeable but game changing over preseason? Common...

How’s that working out for the Rams? Also, my point was hypothetical. A what if. I know that the educational system in the US is failing. The lack of critical reading skills here is distressing.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
If Gallup improves to a #1 WR then maybe we don’t have to pay Cooper. Or tag him for a year.

There's a bug difference between being the #1 receiver, that D's game plan against, vs being the #2 to Cooper's #1. Not to say Gallup won't improve but he's even that much more valuable as a #2 w/ Cooper as the #1. I'd only not pay Cooper if there was a Gallup Jr. waiting in the wings. We all witnessed this O w/o Cooper and I'm pretty sure we'd all just like to forget about what we saw. :D

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Seen this lifetime movie before have a great pre season then disappear during the real season. Now this is a contract year and we all know when a player plays his best or was hurt before and all of sudden is not.

cern

Reaction score
who did more for the rams last year. Donald or gurley. did Adrian Peterson take the skins to the promised land? philly's running back or fletcher cox? fournette take the jags to the big dance? there is no right answer to the question. rb's, for better or worse, are the use them up and spit them out players of the nfl.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Tier 1 DT is better than a Tier 1 RB
If given a chance to have a young JJ Watt or Elliott who would I take? Gimme JJ Watt. If I could take Donald over Elliott would I take that? I would. This is why I am optimistic that Dallas will win the SB this year. Not because we have Zeke, but because we finally have a dominant defense. Not just 1 player on defense like when we had Demarcus Ware but a defense that has studs at every position except for maybe one (Heath) but other than that is a very, very solid defense that also has elite players on it. (Lawrence, LVE, Jaylon, Byron, Collins)

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
For the love of God read my post. I outlined the risks. I painted a hypothetical scenario where Collins balls out. I did not say he was a Game Changer today.
hpotetically speaking, then you keep waiting for Zeke, he has no choice but to play and you force him to sign a 14 mill contract. hypothetically speaking that is...zeke is a game changer too.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember thinking he may lead the team in sacks his 2nd year. After his rookie season many of is thought he may be our most talented dlineman.

I was very much on that bandwagon. So much so that I researched the comparisons between his and Sapp's rookie years.

Reactions: CWR

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
How’s that working out for the Rams? Also, my point was hypothetical. A what if. I know that the educational system in the US is failing. The lack of critical reading skills here is distressing.
They played in the SB last year and destroyed the team we root for. Working out great.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
M Collins has looked like an absolute beast in preseason. Unblockable. He has flashed throughout his career so we know he has talent. He is playing for a contract so we know the risks there. We also know of the injury history. Let's say Collins goes boom this season. 16 starts. 10+ sacks. Beastly run defense. Going rate for a top DT is mid to high teens. Donald is at $22+ but he is a top 5 player in the game so no comparison. Collins is 24 years old. 24 years old!!!. You can't sign Dak, Cooper, Zeke and Collins. Sorry you can't.

Do you let a 24 year old game changing DT go so you can make your malcontent RB the highest paid RB in football?

Collins playing like an All Pro changes the Zeke thoughts, no?

Thanks in advance for your views.
I'm a fan of M.Collins but his injury history makes a big contract a high risk.

kskboys

Reaction score
M Collins has looked like an absolute beast in preseason. Unblockable. He has flashed throughout his career so we know he has talent. He is playing for a contract so we know the risks there. We also know of the injury history. Let's say Collins goes boom this season. 16 starts. 10+ sacks. Beastly run defense. Going rate for a top DT is mid to high teens. Donald is at $22+ but he is a top 5 player in the game so no comparison. Collins is 24 years old. 24 years old!!!. You can't sign Dak, Cooper, Zeke and Collins. Sorry you can't.

Do you let a 24 year old game changing DT go so you can make your malcontent RB the highest paid RB in football?

I would draft some route running WR's and let Coop walk. You simply cannot replace that inside pressure. Any QB will tell you that up the gut pressure is by far the most difficult to handle. That's why Romo held out until Jerry agreed to draft Frederick!!!!!!!!!!!

Kingofholland

Reaction score

Collins was always a long shot to re-sign when you look at the other contracts upcoming. In fact, they drafted Hill this year to be an eventual replacement for him. I thought he would develop into something special after the first year, but the Cowboys played him mostly out of position, yet he was still productive.

I would certainly like to retain him, but with Dak, Cooper, Jones, Brown, and L Collins also free agents it will be very hard. They could probably retain 3 of the 6 after factoring in Zeke.