CZ POLL Do you like the hiring of Mike McCarthy as head coach of the Cowboys?

Do you like the hiring of Mike McCarthy as head coach of the Cowboys?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

glimmerman

Reaction score
If Sean Payton don’t get his players further next year he maybe looking for a job. What have you done for me lately league.

romothesavior

Reaction score
This is the exact point I am making, the stats are almost mirror images of each other.

McCarthy......125-77-2, .618 %, 6 div titles, 10-8 playoff record, 4 NFC Title games, 1 SB ring

Payton...…...131-77, .630 %, 6 div titles, 8-7 playoff record, 3 NFC Title games, 1 SB ring

So can somebody explain to me why McCarthy is trash, but half the board has a boner for Payton. I really dont see it in the stats, so why:huh:
He's also had a comparable career to Dungy, Tomlin, and Carroll.

I guess to some people the only good NFL coach is Belichick?

Brujo

Reaction score
This is the exact point I am making, the stats are almost mirror images of each other.

McCarthy......125-77-2, .618 %, 6 div titles, 10-8 playoff record, 4 NFC Title games, 1 SB ring

Payton...…...131-77, .630 %, 6 div titles, 8-7 playoff record, 3 NFC Title games, 1 SB ring

So can somebody explain to me why McCarthy is trash, but half the board has a boner for Payton. I really dont see it in the stats, so why:huh:

Payton and McCarthy both would have been great hires a decade ago. Not so much anymore.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
So if you have a HOF QB the head coach is just along for the ride, that seems to be the point you are making.

So using that logic, why do so many posters have a chubby for Sean Payton? What has he won without Drew Brees?

Thats a GREAT question. Payton had THREE STRAIGHT LOSING seasons right in the middle of Drew Brees' prime. You think they would have been loving payton had he been the coach of the Cowboys and had 3 straight losing seasons? Apparently once you win a sb, that elevates you to elite status.... well, unless you are Barry Switzer. He didnt do anything, just get carried by the team. So when it suits the argument, the coach was carried by a great team, but conversely when it suits the argument, great coaches are the reason teams win SBs?

It is rare that a new coach comes in and turn s a losing team into a winning team all while keeping the same QB that was there prior to said coaches arrival. McVay being the exception.... but, speaking of Mcvay, how did the Rams do this year? Did he get less innovative?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
He's also had a comparable career to Dungy, Tomlin, and Carroll.

I guess to some people the only good NFL coach is Belichick?
Payton had Brees
McCarthy had Favre and Rodgers
Dungy had Manning
Tomlin had big Ben
Carrol has Russel.

Hey, how many of those QBs listed are going to be in the HOF? lets not wait for your answer,..... ALL OF THEM. Wow, what a coincidence, all of those "GREAT" coaches had/have HOF QBs.

Why is it that Tomlin gets all sorts of credit for taking a Cowher team to a SB, but Switzer was an idiot that took JJ team to the SB?

kskboys

Reaction score

Perception. Nothing more. I've always thought Payton got a bit too much love on these boards.

jnday

Reaction score
I actually don't have any idea. I was hoping so. What makes you say no?
I just don’t see anything in the way McCarthy carries himself that screams motivation. A lot of it has to do with his last couple years in GB when he had checked out on the team.

jnday

Reaction score

I don’t think anybody has said that McCarthy is trash. You must be going for the exaggerated drama effect. I think, like many others, that McCarthy is not going to bring a lot of change to Dallas. I would have preferred a tough disciplinarian that was known for coaching smash-mouth football teams. I don’t see those traits in McCarthy or Payton to be honest.

blueblood70

Reaction score
This hiring reminds me of an AT&T commercial . Just good.
75% say yes and not one owner knows when hes hiring a new staff how iot will turn out regardless of a big name or a college newb..

its either going into work or not..theres no blueprint no cant miss choice..

all we can say is we finally have a year starting without Marinelli , scott Linehan , and Garett..

thats great for now

blueblood70

Reaction score
I don’t think anybody has said that McCarthy is trash. You must be going for the exaggerated drama effect. I think, like many others, that McCarthy is not going to bring a lot of change to Dallas. I would have preferred a tough disciplinarian that was known for coaching smash-mouth football teams. I don’t see those traits in McCarthy or Payton to be honest.

the new era of the nfl with new rules in hitting , targeting, tackling, practice limitations and leaning pass happy has taken smash mouth and HC or assistants that are always in the face of these new millionaires..good luck with that..there are very few of those left, if any..

4 of 5 new HCs hired, dont see a smash mount in any of them..this is the era of scheming players open and passing the football via the spread rpo offenses.. the RBs have made somewhat of a comeback and really thats because of us our line and our RB have been as close to that as it gets and some teams have followed suit to a degree..

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I truly don’t know what to expect. A little more discipline yeah OK. But if you can’t win with the great Aaron Rodgers how are you going to win with Prescott. Even though I’m at Prescott supporter. I really don’t like the McCartney signing. I guess you’re in a pod I like is the special things will be better. I just hope it’s not more of the same and I’m usually positive

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Listening to this guy talk has definitely lowered my expectations. I just don't see any toughness in him. Now that could be extremely wrong on my part. I hope I'm wrong but this guy looks like he's happier waiting for the next meal. Ok. joke there but we shall see. I never thought of him as one of the best coaches Green bay has had.

gmb1

Reaction score
I don't have to like the man, but if he can get the Cowboys to the NFC Championship game then I'll be a believer. I'm gonna wait and see just I've done with Garrett.

With Jerrah and Mike having that sleepover getting their manicures and back rubs gives me pause. o_O

cellarrodent

Reaction score
Regardless of the coach hired, it will all depend on JJ's continued involvement. So, while he's been able to get started with hiring his own staff, we'll see how it all pans out as JJ attempts to stand aside and be out of the spotlight... My guess is, it won't last long! There's only ever been one problem with this org, and that's JJ...period!

As for their role in the team's outward-facing appearance, it'll be a collaborative effort from top to bottom.

"We're gonna make 'we' decisions," McCarthy said. "... I think that's all you can ask for as a head coach."

Already stinks of meddling!

kramskoi

Reaction score
He probably has 3 years to get this team to the trophy room. I'm not sure how much talent can be kept together beyond that. Once you are paying Prescott the big bucks it becomes increasingly difficult to make all the right decisions on personnel surrounding him.

I like it...mainly because it is the only move that makes logical sense given that the team simply can't afford to bring in a college coach who may have to learn on the job like Garrett did...even a Riley or a Meyer. A boatload of head-coaching experience is being amassed...possibly the best thing...maybe a not so good thing if you believe that too many cooks spoil the broth. That said, these former head coaches should be mini-motivators, which will help compensate for the merely "solid" McCarthy...at least on the reports about his lackluster "fire". He won't be able to sneak off for massages...because Jones and Co. are going to be up his butt like a microscope...something he didn't have with Thompson, and probably to his detriment. I like his analytics file and what he did during his year off...BUT, he's going to have prove that it will help going forward because he can't Eddie Lacy a guy like Elliot. The man simply costs too much money. That means his offensive philosophy is going to HAVE to change. Either that or Elliot's days are really numbered because you don't EVEN need a 50 million dollar RB to power a WCO. So that's my most concerning reservation about McCarthy...can he change his coaching philosophy/mentality to complement and accommodate a RB of a quality he's never had AND a QB that is not in the class of an Aaron Rodgers.

As for Prescott. I think McCarthy can make him better...and he will simply have to going forward, because the slow starts have simply got to end. I'm not looking for a superbowl in his first year, but if they don't make the playoffs the honeymoon could end rather abruptly. If we are still gnashing our teeth by McCarthy's fifth year then I don't see how he stays, minus a couple of title game appearances at least.

Skillit

Reaction score
I think people hold Aaron Rogers and only 1 SB against him.

It may be true that Rogers was being held back by his simplistic scheme.....but Rogers is the type of guy to not take into account the other 10 players limitations on his side of the ball much less the entire team concept.

I think MM’s philosophy will work well for Dak.
I’m cautiously optimistic. I hope it’s a good fit.

Oneiros

Reaction score
Listening to this guy talk has definitely lowered my expectations. I just don't see any toughness in him. Now that could be extremely wrong on my part. I hope I'm wrong but this guy looks like he's happier waiting for the next meal. Ok. joke there but we shall see. I never thought of him as one of the best coaches Green bay has had.
So serious question here, what are your opinions on when you hear Bill Belichick speak?

He always lulls me to sleep but he's one of the greatest coaches of all time.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I just don’t see anything in the way McCarthy carries himself that screams motivation. A lot of it has to do with his last couple years in GB when he had checked out on the team.

Well do you remember how McCarthy beat the Cowboys 7 times out of 10 during his tenure with the Packers? And whether Garrett was an OC or HC, he was a Cowboy for all 7 of those beatings. ;)
McCarthy had a better overall Won / Loss record than Garrett, a LOT better post season record, plus a Super Bowl win.....all Garrett had was his process.
McCarthy is a clear-cut upgrade from the likes of Garrett and he deserves a break, and I intend to give him one! :flagwave:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.