Do you think Dez would have been brought back if they did not draft CeeDee?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Look guys.

Get over your Dez love affair.
I get it. I wanted him to join for nothing also, but this team is fine without him.
Maybe better without him.
Just move forward for once.

That's the sad thing. There was no reason to ever "get over" Dez. Should have been a guy that all Cowboy fans just had great memories off. The love never needed to die. But Dez's post Cowboy bitterness is killing it off.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
A veteran who knows he's on the downside of his career, wants a check, and maybe a playoff run. Those guys exist every year.

The "developing" WRs we still have on the roster had 11 total catches last year. That's not a lot of development or experience to be relying on to back up our 3 starters. Not enough for me, at least.

The problem is the Cowboys want to develop those young receivers. They don’t seem to want to give up on Noah Brown. This season will probably be a make or break for him. They like Cedric Wilson and Devin Smith. The team isn’t going to be interested in a veteran receiver who’s on the downside of their career when they feel their young receivers have potential. They don’t want to impede their development. We’re loaded at WR. You won’t find a team who’s top 3 WRs are better than ours. It’s hard enough finding a solid number one and number two receiver. Our top three receivers can move around and we have enough depth. If we end up releasing a receiver then we might bring in a veteran.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just curious. Do you think Dez would have been brought back if they did not draft CeeDee? Do you think it’s still possible he is brought back? If he comes back do you think he will behave and be a contributor?
No.
No.
No.

All this Dez talk is nothing put a pipe dream from Dez.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Just curious. Do you think Dez would have been brought back if they did not draft CeeDee? Do you think it’s still possible he is brought back? If he comes back do you think he will behave and be a contributor?

My view is:

Definitely- Yes

I think there is a 10 pct chance. If someone gets hurt 90 pct.

I believe he would help out. I also think he would behave. He knows this is his last chance.
You people must be on drugs or something.

vnick

Reaction score
I can't imagine the distraction wouldn't outweigh the possible reward, so no I don't think he would have been brought back.

Had Dez been in camp, he would have attracted media whether he wanted to or not. Even if he tried to behave, he would have been the story, regardless of his role on the team.

Dez, even if he wanted to accept a lesser role and be good, has never been wise in what he says. When he was simply a role player, he would be asked constantly. The media would have eventually twisted something he said into a larger story because Dez doesn't know the meaning of "no comment."

Finally, the biggest worry with Dez would be the influence on the younger players like Gallup. Dez never was a hard worker, never was known for being punctual to meetings, and never was known for being the best student of the game. Could he come in and do those things? Maybe...but there's a risk that the tiger doesn't change his stripes. And by the time he could be cut loose, the damage could be done.

So, I do think the Cowboys would have toyed with the idea, but in the long run, I think the odds would have been against Dez rejoining the team- with or without Lamb.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
main-qimg-485a2e4550a32af4cb2340e921820dcc.webp

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The problem is the Cowboys want to develop those young receivers. They don’t seem to want to give up on Noah Brown. This season will probably be a make or break for him. They like Cedric Wilson and Devin Smith. The team isn’t going to be interested in a veteran receiver who’s on the downside of their career when they feel their young receivers have potential. They don’t want to impede their development. We’re loaded at WR. You won’t find a team who’s top 3 WRs are better than ours. It’s hard enough finding a solid number one and number two receiver. Our top three receivers can move around and we have enough depth. If we end up releasing a receiver then we might bring in a veteran.

They seem to hate Smith. They *should* have developed Smith last year. Why would we plan to develop him in his contract year?

If we could extend Devin Smith cheap, then fine, develop him, but I doubt he's that eager to stay here after being made inactive for the majority of last year after some very good play.

Noah Brown has shown nothing and is in his contract year as well. Why waste time developing him?

Wilson is a physically limited guy. We have him for the next 3 years, but that shouldn't be a reason to keep us from getting better players, and that's not a high bar to get over.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They seem to hate Smith. They *should* have developed Smith last year. Why would we plan to develop him in his contract year?

If we could extend Devin Smith cheap, then fine, develop him, but I doubt he's that eager to stay here after being made inactive for the majority of last year after some very good play.

Noah Brown has shown nothing and is in his contract year as well. Why waste time developing him?

Wilson is a physically limited guy. We have him for the next 3 years, but that shouldn't be a reason to keep us from getting better players, and that's not a high bar to get over.

They don’t hate Smith he doesn’t play special teams which has kept him inactive. We’re very solid at WR. We just used our top pick on one. We have other needs.

HotDog37

Reaction score
I think if he would have been humble instead of coming across as a team divider and a team killer, just lay low he would be fine. Someone would sign him and he would have a second renewed career, but nope. He has to go on twitter and talk, and talk more ...

fansince68

Reaction score
I think forcing 88 on Lamb was to close out the narrative about Dez coming back.

glimmerman

Reaction score

My view is:

Definitely- Yes

I believe he would help out. I also think he would behave. He knows this is his last chance.
What if he comes back in place of one of the other back up WR’s. Has to take a different jersey number. That would really humble him..

MarkP88

Reaction score

My view is:

Definitely- Yes

I don't think so. He's got nothing left. He hasn't played in years. I mean, if he could help a team, he'd have been signed by now. The only reason Dez has been so obsequious in trying to get the team to sign him is because he knew that the Cowboys, and Jones in particular, would be the ones most likely to look at him and be able to see at least the echoes of 2014 Dez.

If we had signed him, I don't think he'd offer anything significantly better than any other 4th WR.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I don't think so. He's got nothing left. He hasn't played in years. I mean, if he could help a team, he'd have been signed by now. The only reason Dez has been so obsequious in trying to get the team to sign him is because he knew that the Cowboys, and Jones in particular, would be the ones most likely to look at him and be able to see at least the echoes of 2014 Dez.

If we had signed him, I don't think he'd offer anything significantly better than any other 4th WR.

Thanks for the thoughtful answer. It’s the off-season and the draft is over so I thought I throw a question out. Some folks here just can’t help themselves from being azz clowns. Instead of ignoring posts they don’t like they have to be snarky and rude. Internet anonymity is a great thing for some people. Losers.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I cant think of a reason why he should be on a team. He has become a character that is not in touch with reality. For example.....just a month ago Dez was trying to make a case to be a Cowboy on social media. Now he is trying to bash the very decision makers that could make him a Cowboy. There is not a team in the NFL that thinks that the good out weighs the bad with Dez.