Do you want Brent back?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
There are very few people that are as big strong and quick as he is. He used to get push on double teams. People that say he had no impact are smoking crack. If we can get him back then filling out the dline depth chart gets easier. Even if he only backs up he is still an asset in a rotating line. Dude is a run stopping power.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I find it very hard to believe that our players care more about winning than the players on the Tennessee Titans or Washington Commanders. I have seen no tangible proof that our players that are so called "RKG" care more about winning and care more about the game than the vast majority of the players in the NFL.

Now if you have some tangible evidence or some stats to back up this claim, I would very much like to see it. But to say our players are so much more special and care so much more about the game than the vast majority of the players in the NFL is just making stuff up when it boils down to it.

RKG is just a platitude to sound good, but doesn't really mean jack when you analyze it............if I am wrong, show me something tangible that proves our players work so much harder and care so much more than the other players in the NFL.

There's not going to be any stats to suggest anything. That's silly. The RKG thing is something Jason Garrett coined to let fans know the characteristics in players they were looking for when adding players to the roster. They're obviously not going to tell us what specifics they're looking for in identifying that.

If you don't like the players they've added, that's your perogative. You don't like anything else about the head coach, so it's hardly a surprise.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I find it very hard to believe that our players care more about winning than the players on the Tennessee Titans or Washington Commanders. I have seen no tangible proof that our players that are so called "RKG" care more about winning and care more about the game than the vast majority of the players in the NFL.

Now if you have some tangible evidence or some stats to back up this claim, I would very much like to see it. But to say our players are so much more special and care so much more about the game than the vast majority of the players in the NFL is just making stuff up when it boils down to it.

RKG is just a platitude to sound good, but doesn't really mean jack when you analyze it............if I am wrong, show me something tangible that proves our players work so much harder and care so much more than the other players in the NFL.

I see no tangible proof that the Cowboys players care less about winning or about the game than the vast majority of the players in the NFL.

tm1119

Reaction score
The fact that he continued to drink during the pretrial process is pretty scary. I can't imagine living with what he's living with, but you can't continue to drink in that situation. Tells me he really has problems.

Idk, maybe practice squad for a year while he tries to get himself together? A way for him to be around the team and in a structured environment while not taking up a roster spot.

joseephuss

Reaction score
The fact that he continued to drink during the pretrial process is pretty scary. I can't imagine living with what he's living with, but you can't continue to drink in that situation. Tells me he really has problems.

Idk, maybe practice squad for a year while he tries to get himself together? A way for him to be around the team and in a structured environment while not taking up a roster spot.

Is he eligible for the practice squad? I wouldn't worry if he every played football again and I wouldn't worry if Dallas decided to give him another chance.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Football would be better financially but his priority is fighting his demons and crawling out of pit.

waving monkey

Reaction score

Other aspects of RKG might be "coach-able,good locker room guy,plays to the whistle.ect.

tm1119

Reaction score
Is he eligible for the practice squad? I wouldn't worry if he every played football again and I wouldn't worry if Dallas decided to give him another chance.

Nope....didn't know the rules to practice squad eligibility until I just Wikipedia'd them now. Not sure what label you could put on him but keep him around for a year then. I don't think the interest from other teams will be nearly as strong as people are saying. He was a backup before he took an extended leave from football and now has a ton of baggage. Don't see a long list of teams wanting him. Maybe I'm wrong, but if a team wants to put him on their 53 man roster then good for Josh and you let him move on.

Ratmatt

Reaction score
I know we've all heard the news by now

Former Dallas Cowboys player Josh Brent was sentenced Friday to 180 days in jail and 10 years of probation for a drunken car crash that killed his friend and teammate, Jerry Brown.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...180-days-jail-probation?ex_cid=espnapi_public

That being said I heard people say that if Aaron H. wasn't charged there would be a rush of teams trying to sign him. Now the ball is in our court and to be honest. Dallas has had Brents back (in a odd stand-off, but let it play out sort of way) but the question remains. Do YOU want BRent back?

Yes!

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
What do we know about him that would compel the Cowboys to want to bring him back? You know when teams took a risk on TO, they had to weigh talent and potential contribution vs the headaches having him on the team may bring, same with Vick. In those cases those players were once pro bowlers and still in their primes, you'll noticed once TOs production and age caught up with him teams weren't "looking past" his off field stuff anymore.

Not sure what TO has to do with Brent. If there are any here who knows him well then speak up if you will. He seems to be well liked and supported by the team. Whatever the counseling team says about playing, Brent's wishes, and those of the Cowboys will determine if he plays for them or not. Why anyone here would want him hindered is beyond me. How does that affect your life? If you wish to talk about him being a public menace driving then there is room to converse.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
But will he be as unstoppable as Tyrone Crawford and THE Ben Bass? That is what I want to know.

Ok, we don't know what we have in Bass or Crawford but they are liked and I have seen both play well. People cried about the OL and a few said we were better than most thought. That worked out well. I personally don't have a great feel on Bass or Crawford but enough to be hopeful. I wouldn't be including Brent in any plans were I Marinelli but if he plays then he gets a chance to compete.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Ok, we don't know what we have in Bass or Crawford but they are liked and I have seen both play well.

From what I have seen both have shown potential. But that is it.

The way some people are talking, it is like we are getting a couple of All Pros back. I do not see how an average rookie season from Crawford and a few decent rotational snaps from Bass can justify the amount of faith that is being placed on their impact upon return.

All I am saying is that I would prefer the team be cautiously optimistic for once, rather than simply counting the pair as solutions.

erod

Reaction score
First, he's in for a year suspension from Goodell anyway.

Second, he'll NEVER be able to live up to his probation. He's one sip of a beer from getting put away in prison for a long time.

Third, please shut up with the "second chances" nonsense. This guy already had DWIs on his record, already had a suspended license, had no insurance, and got busted twice for drugs AFTER he killed his friend.

But Jerry Jones was awfully interested in every facet of this case, so no doubt he's hoping to have him back. Says everything you want to know about our functional alcoholic of a general manager, who's got pretty much the same integrity and ethics that Brent has.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Not sure what TO has to do with Brent. If there are any here who knows him well then speak up if you will. He seems to be well liked and supported by the team. Whatever the counseling team says about playing, Brent's wishes, and those of the Cowboys will determine if he plays for them or not. Why anyone here would want him hindered is beyond me. How does that affect your life? If you wish to talk about him being a public menace driving then there is room to converse.

He's a known commodity vs the draft which is unknown. BTW, I want him to do well. If that's playing then fine. If not then what keeps him sober and fills the hole in his heart.

Where did you get this from in my post? The TO comparison is that of talent vs baggage, when the talent outweighs the baggage (TO early years) then you probably take a chance but when the baggage outweighs the talent (TO later years) you probably don't.
Imo Brent is jag and is not worth the bad publicity he may bring with him.

If Brent stays or goes it doesn't effect my life one bit but it does effect my team which is what I'm concerned with. Tbh, the people that want to give him a second (or third, err or fourth) are getting into their emotions, why would you want a mediocre player that would bring unwanted publicity to a hot button team? The answer "because everyone deserves a second chance" now that's not football that acting off emotions.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From what I have seen both have shown potential. But that is it.

The way some people are talking, it is like we are getting a couple of All Pros back. I do not see how an average rookie season from Crawford and a few decent rotational snaps from Bass can justify the amount of faith that is being placed on their impact upon return.

All I am saying is that I would prefer the team be cautiously optimistic for once, rather than simply counting the pair as solutions.

We should be counting on Crawford to be a starter, and for Bass to be a quality backup. That's about the top-end of what expectations should be for either player. I have some hope that both will flourish under Marinelli, but it's just hope at this point.

We really needed to pickup a DL in the top three rounds of the draft last season, honestly. We knew going into 2013 that Rat and Spence and Hatch were all more likely than likely to be gone next year. We had Ware and, we though, Crawford in place. You can fill in a rotation with key college and VFA acquisitions, but we had two slots open for skilled players by my count. We could have filled one in the second or third round last season, and then one or more (if another fell into our laps) this offseason and been in ok shape. As it is, we've got multiple important roles to fill, and not enough picks to be able to do it unless we reach or somehow get lucky. I don't like it.

DLs are not like OGs that you can or should count on getting them low and developing them. You can get by doing that for the 1-tech, maybe. But DEs and 3-techs you have to take high. You need a lot of them, and they need time to develop. We're at a disadvantage at that position group, and we're about to lose our best player there in free agency. I love Ware and have a history of not turning on our own guys too soon, but two declining years in a row almost never gets overcome along the DL. His days as a difference maker you have to gameplan around are done, I'm afraid.

And I still don't think we have our coverage Safety. Wilcox (or Johnson, yeah, I said it) might be him, but he's got a lot of learning to do, quickly. We'd be dumb to count on him.

If Brent can come in and be the 1-tech for us, somehow, this season, I think that's huge. I'm not sure how he fits as far as Marinelli prototypes go, though. If we can get something significant from Crawford at the 5, and then draft the 3-tech in the first (I think that's probably going to be readily do-able, at least), then we've at least got a rotation. Then the problem is depth. We'll still need a S to pair with Church, and we should bring in a LB who can threaten to unseat Carter if he can't figure out what his responsibilities are and learn to play hard for a whole game. Honestly, our defense is a mess, and I have a hard time seeing us fix it in one year. The real question is, can we fix it enough to be middling? Because even middling probably gets us a home playoff game this year with a shot at winning it. I think that's what Garrett needs to get an extension this season, and two years and some luck to build an actual contender.

Of course, at that point, we're going to need to be working on the next QB acquisition. :)

Texan_Eph89

Reaction score
His punishment is knowing he killed his good friend due to being reckless, he'll have to live with that for the rest of his life. The fact that Brown's mother forgave him and did not want to further punish him shows that they were close. I am by no way saying that the law should not place consequences for legal violations in general, but he'll carry this heaviness until his last breath (in this instance, I think is punishment enough).

Give him a shot to keep playing and make sure he turns his life around. He did what many teenagers and young adults do every weekend. Sure it resulted in someone's death (and it's certainly worst case scenario), but he's young and stupid. How many college students with the same or more intellect level do you think drive drunk on any given Friday or Saturday?

The mental anguish he'll live with will never go away.