Do you want Brent back?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I don't want an unreliable meathead anyway but you are spot on- this guy is not worth the grief we would get

Would he be more reliable than Sean Lee? How about Claiborne? Maybe Spencer? I'll leave the meathead part out when referencing all players.

barney

Reaction score
NO I don't want Brent back he's a liability and his performances never make a impact

birdwells1

Reaction score
RKG guys are what is left after you remove the worst of the bad apples.

If Josh Brent was coming out of the draft this year, with his off the field troubles, would the Cowboys draft him? If not then you shouldn't bring him back if so then you should.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
If Josh Brent was coming out of the draft this year, with his off the field troubles, would the Cowboys draft him? If not then you shouldn't bring him back if so then you should.

He's a known commodity vs the draft which is unknown. BTW, I want him to do well. If that's playing then fine. If not then what keeps him sober and fills the hole in his heart.

birdwells1

Reaction score
He's a known commodity vs the draft which is unknown. BTW, I want him to do well. If that's playing then fine. If not then what keeps him sober and fills the hole in his heart.

What do we know about him that would compel the Cowboys to want to bring him back? You know when teams took a risk on TO, they had to weigh talent and potential contribution vs the headaches having him on the team may bring, same with Vick. In those cases those players were once pro bowlers and still in their primes, you'll noticed once TOs production and age caught up with him teams weren't "looking past" his off field stuff anymore.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, why does this organization deem some players as "undraftable" or take the off the board?

Probably because, despite their obvious skill, they think football might not be important enough to them (i.e., they're doing it for the money, or the fame, or for whatever reason). Also, there's the obvious group of players who aren't a scheme fit. There are only a couple dozen players on a team's draft board to begin with. It's not all that hard to winnow it down to both the physical, mental, and emotional makeup you're looking for. The question is, what are the emotional/mental characteristics you want, and which do you want to weed out.

Wood

Reaction score
First thing first....this isn't Eric Williams we are talking about. This was a marginal DT. If you think this team is a marginal DT away...then we have a gap between reality and fantasy here that needs to be ironed out first. After that....lets assume he wants to play football again, the NFL will slap 1 year suspension on his rear end for guilty verdict. If Dallas can't replace a marginal DT in draft then none of this matters.

Kaiser

Reaction score
you kind find a Josh Brent on any NFL practice squad.

Not really. Independent of whether he should come back, Brent was a good rotational DT when he was on the field. If you could find someone at that level on any practice squad the Cowboys wouldn't have had the weekly tryout of street free agents you saw last season. They played 16 different players on the D Line last year. They also would have likely won another game or two and been in the playoffs if solid DL were that easy to pick up.

Soth

Reaction score
If this team does give this loser another chance, I better not ever hear the words

"Right Kinda Guy" come out of that Clappers mouth ever again.

I also better never hear anything about removing talented players from the draft board because of character issues.

Agree 100%

I doubt Brent will change. He's had multiple chances. I don't think it's worth the risk. It's not like he's Wilfork.

WinnipegBoy22

Reaction score
On the first DUI that should make a person think maybe i should call someone to drive me home. On his second chance he has 17 drinks that should really tell you not to get into the car. On his third chance.......OK there is no third chance. No don't take him back end of story.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Not really. Independent of whether he should come back, Brent was a good rotational DT when he was on the field. If you could find someone at that level on any practice squad the Cowboys wouldn't have had the weekly tryout of street free agents you saw last season. They played 16 different players on the D Line last year. They also would have likely won another game or two and been in the playoffs if solid DL were that easy to pick up.

We fall in love with our own players too much, what I'm saying is that Brent is nothing more than Nick Hayden a decent rotational player but if he's your starter then you're looking in the draft or fa to replace him. Without the off field stuff Brent should be in a fight to make the squad every camp, with the off field stuff he shouldn't be invited to camp. If keeping Brent is going to make or break your season then we're in trouble anyway.

Kaiser

Reaction score
If keeping Brent is going to make or break your season then we're in trouble anyway.

Agree on that point, which is why we saw the defensive misery that we witnessed last season. I disagree on Brent's play, he has a lot more upside than Hayden and if Dallas doesn't bring him back he will definitely be signed by someone else.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Agree on that point, which is why we saw the defensive misery that we witnessed last season. I disagree on Brent's play, he has a lot more upside than Hayden and if Dallas doesn't bring him back he will definitely be signed by someone else.

I think a fresh start with another team would do both parties good.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
They're plenty of Dlineman in this draft we should focus on. Brent needs to get his life on track and we need to move on from that situation.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Excellent point.....................I would bring him back as a team counselor and let him work with the new rookies from the draft and with the community about the dangers of alcohol.

As far as letting him back on the field as a player........................got to say no to that............it would be portrayed by the media as the team supporting drunk driving or not caring about it.

Even if that is not the case, that is how the media is going to portray it. I remember the outrage of Brent just being on the sidelines after that happened, it would be 1000 times worse if he was suiting up for the team.

I would tell Brent, "sorry, but I cant have you wearing the uniform ever again because of the distraction and negative attention it would bring to the team".

I agree with your sentiment. But, if he were to be brought back, I would not be outraged by it given the situation.

YR

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I don't agree, at all, that that definition applies to 90% of the NFL. And smart, hardworking, and passionate are all relative terms, anyway. He's obviously talking about qualities in these areas above the league average.

No, people who complain about that description are simply complaining for the sake of complaining, instead of saving their criticisms for things worth actually addressing because they actually keep us from winning football games.

I find it very hard to believe that our players care more about winning than the players on the Tennessee Titans or Washington Commanders. I have seen no tangible proof that our players that are so called "RKG" care more about winning and care more about the game than the vast majority of the players in the NFL.

Now if you have some tangible evidence or some stats to back up this claim, I would very much like to see it. But to say our players are so much more special and care so much more about the game than the vast majority of the players in the NFL is just making stuff up when it boils down to it.

RKG is just a platitude to sound good, but doesn't really mean jack when you analyze it............if I am wrong, show me something tangible that proves our players work so much harder and care so much more than the other players in the NFL.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
RKG stand for ridiculous and kinda goofy which is where this thread has gone.