Do you want Brent back?

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Or, perhaps you might want to revise your interpretation of what the 'right kind of guy' is to this organization to bring it into line with what they coach has said it is so many times, in the first place. It never meant choirboys without problems to overcome. It always meant smart players who are willing to work hard and to whom football is important. It amazes me that people still fail to grasp that, since it's been said over and over and over. And it amazes me further that anybody would have a problem with it, philosophically.

Consider the sample pool. lol.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I truly hope he can at some point in his life he can conquer his demons, but I would prefer he do it without wearing a Cowboy uniform.

Nirvana

Reaction score
This is what he said: I think it was telling Sean Lee was in attendance during the trial. Captain of the defense.

To me that means he was there to be supportive. We don't even know what the league will do nor what his team for his treatment will suggest. The latter will go a long way into whether or not Brent gets to think football this year IMO. And the post about Calvin Hill is important; he is part of the team's resources I mentioned.

To add to what I said, I do think Lee wants Brent back on the defense. Speculative on my part, but I do think it's interesting Lee was in attendance, and that it could indicate the plans ahead with Brent becoming available now. If a team considers each other like family, would a retired player still get that level of closeness with the team leader on defense? Maybe, but my inclination is to believe he is considered very much a part of the team. We'll see but I think that's how it will play out: We'll see him at camp.

khiladi

Reaction score
The terminology isn't vague, and it doesn't change to fit circumstances. And there aren't too many players around with TO's debilitating narcissism that it makes sense to expand the definition to rule out obvious outliers like him. But we brought TO in in the first place for the very reasons you mention. Turns out, he wasn't a good fit in the long term because he's a hyperbaric chamber full of me-first crazy.

The fact that this is the NFL means most of these people work hard and play hard. So essentially, RKG means a talented football player. Like I said, vague terminology.

Szczepanik

Reaction score
No he shouldn't be a Cowboy. Im sick of all of the negative press we get as is.

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
I dunno, I am trying to find a way to turn this into a positive. He certainly hasn't made the best decisions, but allowing him to go back to something he's committed a large portion of his life too might just provide the only outlet and hope. Should Brent actually be able to turn it around, the ability to provide and make right for Brown's family would be huge...something I'd want in the same, miserable situation.

Next Years Champ

Reaction score
The man has to live with the death of his good friend for the rest of his life. I am all for bringing him back and letting him try to straighten his life back out. He can use his mistake to preach to younger crowds. Football aside, he can still do a lot of good for himself and the community. Letting him suit up will aide this.

I have no problem at all.

Obviously, once he's ready to play again..

I hope he comes to us first.

Time for closure.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Or, perhaps you might want to revise your interpretation of what the 'right kind of guy' is to this organization to bring it into line with what they coach has said it is so many times, in the first place. It never meant choirboys without problems to overcome. It always meant smart players who are willing to work hard and to whom football is important. It amazes me that people still fail to grasp that, since it's been said over and over and over. And it amazes me further that anybody would have a problem with it, philosophically.

Using that definition "smart players who are willing to work and to whom football is important" describes 90% of the players in the NFL.

I think you just proved everybody's point, that "RKG" is just a generic term that could apply to almost every player on every team with just a handful of exceptions. Basically there is nothing special about "RKG", its just a catch phrase that doesn't really have any significant meaning to it.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I think the possible good that could come from this can outweigh whatever punishment people think is just for a guy who killed his best friend and his best friend's family pleaded with the court to not send him to prison for an extended period of time.

It does not even have to be as a player, but perhaps a representative that can work with other players and the community to teach the dangers of drunk driving. The issue I see is if Josh Brent has the desire to redeem himself.

YR

Excellent point.....................I would bring him back as a team counselor and let him work with the new rookies from the draft and with the community about the dangers of alcohol.

As far as letting him back on the field as a player........................got to say no to that............it would be portrayed by the media as the team supporting drunk driving or not caring about it.

Even if that is not the case, that is how the media is going to portray it. I remember the outrage of Brent just being on the sidelines after that happened, it would be 1000 times worse if he was suiting up for the team.

I would tell Brent, "sorry, but I cant have you wearing the uniform ever again because of the distraction and negative attention it would bring to the team".

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Using that definition "smart players who are willing to work and to whom football is important" describes 90% of the players in the NFL.

I think you just proved everybody's point, that "RKG" is just a generic term that could apply to almost every player on every team with just a handful of exceptions. Basically there is nothing special about "RKG", its just a catch phrase that doesn't really have any significant meaning to it.

I don't agree, at all, that that definition applies to 90% of the NFL. And smart, hardworking, and passionate are all relative terms, anyway. He's obviously talking about qualities in these areas above the league average.

No, people who complain about that description are simply complaining for the sake of complaining, instead of saving their criticisms for things worth actually addressing because they actually keep us from winning football games.

Plumfool

Reaction score
Browns Mom for some reason sticks by this guy. That's pretty telling.

birdwells1

Reaction score
This one is tough, he's had mutliple chances. Plus I don't like the fact that he got in trouble again during the pre-trial phase. You'd really have to have Calvin Hill baby sitting him at all times. Is he worth that trouble? Was he THAT good to take that chance on him again? I think we can make it work.

Some people act like this guy is JJ Watt or something, it's Josh Brent a rotational 7th round draft pick, cut him and pick up a street fa. Just not worth the negative publicity and the risk and as you said he got in trouble again waiting on the trial.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Of course. It's hilarious how people want (1) criminals to serve long sentences and (2) continue to be punished after they've paid their debts. Yeah, that's a recipe for recidivism.

You take a chance on a Suh but Brent? It just ain't worth the risk, you kind find a Josh Brent on any NFL practice squad. I guess I just don't get it.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Yeah, I want him back. Pay his debt to society with his jail time, come back, stay out of trouble, and wreak havoc on the defensive line.

The accident and his stupidity are well documented. Jerry Brown's mother supports him, and so does the organization. I'll support him, cautiously.

Yeah because this is what he's known for.

birdwells1

Reaction score

Well, why does this organization deem some players as "undraftable" or take the off the board?

burmafrd

Reaction score
Some people act like this guy is JJ Watt or something, it's Josh Brent a rotational 7th round draft pick, cut him and pick up a street fa. Just not worth the negative publicity and the risk and as you said he got in trouble again waiting on the trial.

I don't want an unreliable meathead anyway but you are spot on- this guy is not worth the grief we would get