CZ POLL Do you want Romo to start the next game or stick with Dak? **ended**

Do you want Romo to start the next game or stick with Dak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
If the front office had ever taken the players' feelings into consideration, they would have made the switch to Romo when he was ready to play. Any and all struggles that have or will confront Prescott should have been anticipated before the decision was made to keep him as the starter. If they cared that any of the players would regret a decision that had a high probability of not succeeding, they would not have made it in my opinion. That's why I think not making the switch at the appropriate time says the front office believed Prescott was and is the best quarterback option now and into the future.

However, the Don't Mess With Chemistry qualifier was a poor one. It was shortsighted and completely negated any argument that could be made for reliance on proven experience. The Pro Football Hall of Fame is filled with bronze busts of hall of fame quarterbacks with hall of fame careers filled with wins--some involving NFL championships--and losses. In essence, Jones and Garrett's decision was a gamble that Prescott could do what no other proven veteran NFL quarterback has done before--win a championship during their rookie season.

They have already gambled on the 2016 season. The only thing stopping the gamble from paying off is an eventual loss that sends the team off packing for the offseason. I say this because there is zero way of knowing if keeping Prescott behind center won't pay off if-and-until it doesn't. Jones and Garrett rolled the dice. They have been rolling the dice. And I doubt they will stop rolling the dice--no matter how much empathy or compassion they have for the players.

I agree the qualifier is laughable. But I don't think that means they can't make the switch. I agree with everything you said about their thought process. But we are also talking about a Jerry Jones led organization. I really believe that if Dak continues to struggle, he will force them to go to Romo. I think if Jerry is going to be denied a championship, he would want to go down with his best players, playing, not sitting. IMO.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
True but then you could say the same thing if Dak is benched and Romo comes in and plays a bad game and they lose. Seems to me if the Cowboys do not win it all they will be criticized either way. If Dak is starting and they lose Dallas was stupid for not putting in Romo but if they put in Romo and lose people will claim how stupid it was to bench Dak who put this team in the position to start with.

Oh that I agree with 100%. They will be criticized either way, without winning it all.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Right now it seems as though the organisation is so stuck that they may not make the switch no matter what is happening.

Also I don't want Romo coming back in with only a week worth of snaps before the playoffs start. I really think you watch Dak in the first half of this weeks game and then make the call. Give Romo the second half against the Bucs and then the full Lions game. That should answer all the questions that are currently going around.

Worst thing that happens is that Romo gets hurt or stinks it up.. and then you go back to a rested Dak. I'm not sure why there is so much fear about trying Tony under centre.. almost an irrational fear that Romo will come in and look better than Dak and that ruins their Dak fantasy or something..
Why not keep the guy who WON 11 games in? Why go back to a guy who's had 10 years to do something and couldn't? Until further notice, Dak is our QB. End of story.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Oh that I agree with 100%. They will be criticized either way, without winning it all.

Which is ironic since no one was giving the Cowboys a snow ball chance in hell of even getting to 8-8 this season. For me not getting a SB would be a disappointment but I am very excited for this team and the future of this team. In all my years of following the Cowboys (1965) this is truly a 1st to see the type of success they are having yet to have this type of controversy but then again for most of those years there was no internet or message boards. To see a young man getting ripped who has done nothing but help his team to 11-2 and to take the cheap shot from a fan base is a true eye opener.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree the qualifier is laughable. But I don't think that means they can't make the switch. I agree with everything you said about their thought process. But we are also talking about a Jerry Jones led organization. I really believe that if Dak continues to struggle, he will force them to go to Romo. I think if Jerry is going to be denied a championship, he would want to go down with his best players, playing, not sitting. IMO.
Thing is, everyone's sense of what "struggling" means varies from person to person. Jones and Garrett are no exception. So when some might say it's time, Jones and Garrett may disagree and say not yet. It may be hard for anyone to wait-and-see what may or may not happen but everyone who isn't Jones and Garrett shall wait regardless. Jones and Garrett may "wait too long." Or their gamble may pay off. Shoulda woulda coulda is in the control of a select few.

I'm mentioning Jones and Garrett because the decision making isn't isolated to Jones alone.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
I don't necessarily agree with all of this.

It was widely reported that Brock was highly pissed at John Elway for replacing him as the starter, so pissed that Brock would not even go with the Broncos to the White House to celebrate their SB win.

Obviously Brock didn't see Manning's benching and him being named the starter as a temporary situation as you are saying, at least Brock apparently feels that it wasn't a temporary change. Otherwise, if it was just a temp move and all parties knew it was a temp move, why did Brock get so pissed about it? He obviously didn't feel it was a temp move at all and Elway back stabbed him by going back to Manning.

And in the meanwhile, Brock Osweiler has stunk up Reliant field and been so miserable that Houston is now considered a possible landing site for Tony Romo. Most of the young QBs get a raw deal - just ask them. :rolleyes:

If the roadmap of your franchise is led by coaching staff/ownership concerns over the psychological well-being of your young QB prospect - your franchise is being led off a cliff. Suck it up youngsters or get a real estate license - because you're in the WRONG line of work.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
You would get a Romo that has a work horse in Elliot that would help immensely in Romo slowwwwwly getting it together.

Yes bloke, that is what this team needs, a QB who will slowwwwly get it together. Makes sense in a fast-paced game, ya think?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
And in the meanwhile, Brock Osweiler has stunk up Reliant field and been so miserable that Houston is now considered a possible landing site for Tony Romo. Most of the young QBs get a raw deal - just ask them. :rolleyes:

If the roadmap of your franchise is led by coaching staff/ownership concerns over the psychological well-being of your young QB prospect - your franchise is being led off a cliff. Suck it up youngsters or get a real estate license - because you're in the WRONG line of work.

By all means, old fellow, let's instead worry about Romo's ego and psychological harm being on the sidelines would do to the rusty and geezer-like veteran QB.

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
If they are going to restrict the QB to handoffs and passing, I say go with Romo as Dak doesn't thrive being restricted to conservative play.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
winning 11 reg season games in a row don't mean jack if you are one and done in the playoffs personally I am tired of the losing and the excuses

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It's threads like this for why we have to move on from Romo. Can't go into next season with a divide at QB, with one side wanting Romo and the other wanting Dak. If Dak has a bad game you can't have the Romo FANS screaming for him and vise versa. Just leads to a distraction and a never ending controversy.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
winning 11 reg season games in a row don't mean jack if you are one and done in the playoffs personally I am tired of the losing and the excuses
No, Romo is 2 and done in the playoffs. Averages to one first-round one and done every 5.5 seasons.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
They will be criticized either way, without winning it all.
yeah that is the situation.
fandom and media etc is split 50/50 so no matter what they do , if they dont win it all they were wrong.

That is why playing tony against giants or TB would be a good idea, if he lost or got hurt, debate is over.
If he played good and won, then you still have debate, but then you know he can play and how good.

I think tony would have been a better matchup for giants game.
Why give the team to either qb, let both play and teams would have to prepare for both of them !
They wouldnt know who was starting till game time, and if one plays bad for a half put the other one in.

crashintonickdm

Reaction score
If they lose Sunday and are trailing at half with the qb stinking it up against the lions then you go back to romo.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If they lose Sunday and are trailing at half with the qb stinking it up against the lions then you go back to romo.

If they lose Sunday and Dak looks bad, Romo starts vs Detroit because HFA might be in serious jeopardy, depending on what NY does beforehand.

But, I am not expecting Dak to look bad, think they go back to what was working.

Status
Not open for further replies.