CZ POLL Do you want Romo to start the next game or stick with Dak? **ended**

Do you want Romo to start the next game or stick with Dak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevm3

Reaction score
It's hilarious that Romo has become this superbowl savior and he's our one shot to make it. The dude has never been out of the 2nd round of the playoffs. Mark Sanchez has been deeper in the playoffs.

kevm3

Reaction score
In the situation this team is in right now you play who gives you the best chance at winning in the playoffs. It is just that simple. Dak is showing his inexperience against good teams and that is only going to be magnified going forward. The time is now and there are no guarantees this success flows into next season. You play the guy who gives you the best chance to win now, period.
Seems to be a lot of rooting for the player, not the team going on. Ironic since that was a go to point made often by many Romo haters toward the Romo fans over the years.

Romo hasn't been able to complete a game against a tough defense in the past year and a half, but he's supposed to come in, take all of these hits and shred tough defenses?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly.........Oswelier obviously didn't appreciate getting demoted for Manning and that disrespect was a big reason he left in free agency.
Agreed but I'm still uncertain why Osweilier's feelings would play any factor whatsoever in the differing reasons behind the two situations of Manning getting reinstated and Romo not getting reinstated. That's what I pointed out my original post.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Getting sick of hearing that is "just one week".. Dak has been poor for the last month... you could probably even go back to the Pitt game. Dak was poor for 3 qtrs and then got superhot for the 4th and we came out for a win. Dak was a pure game manager against the Ravens who had an overrated D that fell apart in the second half. Dak was poor against Washington and won because Zeke gashed them and they loaded up the box so much that even TWill could get seperation. Dak was dismal against the Vikes and they didn't even bother trying to do anything other than stop the run and underneath passes. Giants took the same philosophy and Dak stunk it up again.

S

DAK QB rating:
vs Pittsburgh 121.7
vs Baltimore 127.2
vs Washington 108.9
vs Minnesota 108.3

Gator88

Reaction score
Romo hasn't been able to complete a game against a tough defense in the past year and a half, but he's supposed to come in, take all of these hits and shred tough defenses?
He managed despite not being healthy against Miami last year, who had a far better pass rush than the Giants did last week.

ragman

Reaction score
This isn't nuclear physics.

If you bench Dak in favor of Romo, can you guarantee me that we'll get the Romo of 2014? No? Then, you play Dak.

It's just that simple.

GusTheo

Reaction score
I don't get why we have to chose sides? Like people who want Romo feel the need to tear Dak down, and Dak supporters feel the need to tear down Romo, doesn't make sense to me.

No rookie QB has ever won a super bowl in the history of the NFL, I think that's a pretty telling stat. I have zero doubt in my mind that Dak will have us as super bowl contenders for years to come, but as far as this year is concerned I just can't see it.

I personally believe as it stands right now (forget next year) Romo is head and shoulders the better QB, any advantage that Dak has with his legs, Romo more than makes up for with his ability to read defenses and 10 years experience.

Another thing I've noticed is that Dak doesn't throw the ball unless someone is clearly open and I think because of that he leaves a lot on the field. Experienced QB's who trust their game and WR's throw timing routes to a spot and trust that the receiver will be where he's supposed to be. Romo is able to do that, so all this talk I hear about the WR's not getting separation wouldn't matter much.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If you bench Dak in favor of Romo, can you guarantee me that we'll get the Romo of 2014? No? Then, you play Dak.

It's just that simple.

No but I can guarantee you we won't get worse than what we've seen here the last 3 games. It's just a question of whether he can take a hit anymore.

I'd give Prescott these next two games to show any talent whatsoever. Then I'd roll the dice on Romo if he doesn't. Then it's back to the QB drawing board in the offseason. This experiment failed.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
You are 100% correct my friend, if Romo is no longer the Romo we saw in 2014 and is just a shell of his former self, then we might as well just stick with Dak.

But what if Romo is anything close to what he was in 2014? We are going to let him stand on the sideline while a rookie gets us eliminated in the playoffs? Look, experience matters when it comes to QBs in the playoffs. This is no knock against Dak, but he hasn't seen every coverage, every blitz, every formation that a defense can throw at you and Romo has.

If experience didn't matter, why has no rookie QB ever won a SB? And to accept the argument that Dak is the first means that you are arguing that Dak is the greatest rookie QB of all time in the history of the NFL and can make every throw, make every read, and make every audible that a 14 year vet can.

Is this seriously the argument being made?
Except that Tony has never led us to an NFC Championship game. I know it isn't all his fault but you act like he's Tom Brady. If Tony comes back and fails what is next season going to look like? It's going to be a mess. I know everybody wants to win a SB but there is the long term future to think about too. We have got to know what Dak is made of. The guy is coming off of an 11 game winning streak and you want to replace him with someone who hasn't played an over a year. Somebody who couldn't even survive a pre-season game. I can't believe some can't see that any good defense is going to go all out at Tony to see if he can take a hit. And he better be able to take it.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
He managed despite not being healthy against Miami last year, who had a far better pass rush than the Giants did last week.
And what happened the following game? So he survived one game. He couldn't survive two.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
After 27 years, I chuckle after asking myself, "Does Jones feel pressure from fans?"
He's walking back his Dak is locked in quote already. That's not pressure but it is something. Ah Jerry, never a dull moment.

revospeed

Reaction score
It's hilarious that Romo has become this superbowl savior and he's our one shot to make it. The dude has never been out of the 2nd round of the playoffs. Mark Sanchez has been deeper in the playoffs.

That's the thinking man's choice for starting QB. It's tough to beat Mark Sanchez's resume.

Most playoff wins in Jets' history.
Played in two AFC Championship games
Rose Bowl MVP
Two time Gentleman's Quarterly coverman.
NFL records for most hotdogs eaten between series by a quarterback
2nd place in a QB competition between himself, Geno Smith and Tim Tebow
Centerpiece of one of the most iconic NFL plays in history.

It's amazing to think that he's looked over in favor of Romo and Dak.

Gator88

Reaction score
And what happened the following game? So he survived one game. He couldn't survive two.
Yeah, when people rush back to try and save a season despite being hurt, they tend to reinjure what was hurt and never healed. Especially against the league's best defense on 3 day's rest.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
[

It's just that simple.

Well he looked damn good in camp, so I wouldn't worry that much. If they see it in practice every day and make the change I'd say that would answer your question.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Yeah, when people rush back to try and save a season despite being hurt, they tend to reinjure what was hurt and never healed. Especially against the league's best defense on 3 day's rest.
Don't know what the excuse was for the pre-season. He had all off-season to heal. If we didn't have Dak on our roster it would have been 2 straight seasons ruined waiting for Tony to get healthy. I was plenty down after he got hurt again. I thought "here we go again". It gets old after awhile.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Cowboys committed to go with Dak this season and you don't bench your starting QB due to one poor performance especially this late in the season. It wasn't all Dak's fault last week, he got little help from his receivers and we're committing too many penalties that are putting us behind the chains. Romo is going to be caked with more rust than the Titanic and can't avoid pressure like Dak. This is Dak's team and we're going to live or die with him at QB this season.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
If they stick with Dak and we get eliminated in the playoffs, Dak hasn't seen the backlash he is going to get from a large section of the fan base. There was even a caller on Talkin Cowboys that said if we want to go to the SB we have to put Romo in.

That is the prevailing opinion on a lot of Cowboy sites right now, so if they stick with Dak they better realize what they are doing because if we don't make it to Houston, Dak is going to be blamed for the rest of his career if we never get this close again.

That was the botch, naming Dak the permanent starter and letting Romo go out there and do a concession speech basically. Dak is now expected to play at a probowl level and if he doesn't, its going to get very uncomfortable for him with a large percentage of the fan base. May not be fair, but it is what it is.

I won't have backlash for Dak. He's given us a great season.

I do agree if we want shot at super bowl it has to be experienced Romo.

I agree with "botch" paragraph.

zeke21

Reaction score
DAK QB rating:
vs Pittsburgh 121.7
vs Baltimore 127.2
vs Washington 108.9
vs Minnesota 108.3
I like to watch the play.. not just a QB rating which is a great tool but not the whole story.

Against Pitt, Dak had a QB rating of under 80 heading into the last.. and then he shredded the tired D and ended in a blaze of glory.
Against Balt, Dak had a QB rating of under 60 heading into the half time break... and then he shredded the tired D and ended the game well
Washington openly allowed him to dink the under passes (which drives up your QB rating) because they loaded the box heavily
Vikings openly allowed him to dink the under passes (which drives up your QB rating) because they loaded the box heavily

Right now Dak is playing a zero risk play book against defences that are going 150% overload to stop Zeke on the run.. that SHOULD lead to a very high QB rating as there must be receivers open or at the most in man to man coverage.

Dak is playing teams that are more than happy to let him complete 100% of his passes for 3/4 yards in the flats.. they are playing Dez hard and loading the box and then bringing a heap of pressure up the middle.

Anyway I'm not trying to get down on Dak.. he is my QB because I support the Dallas Cowboys. I have the right to feel that Romo is the better option, right now, for my team because this is an internet forum to discuss opinions.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I said NO. Keep Dak in this week.

But here is a scenario where I feel pretty sure they would bring in Romo later.
If Dallas' loses 1 or 2 of the last 3 and the offense looks sluggish, then we get to the playoffs and things are looking ugly in the first game by half time, Romo will be asked to bail us out. That could easily happen if that opponent ended up being New York. In fact, the end of season tailspin in the last 3 games may not even need to happen in that scenario.

A lot of "ifs" there, but if it played out that way, I feel certain they'd make the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.