CZ POLL Do you want the Cowboys to draft offense or defense with first pick?

Do you want the Cowboys to draft offense or defense with first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I hear ya and tend to agree.

Things always look very different even a year or two down the line, and you can't be hurting at LT when you passed on one in the draft not so long beforehand.

Thing is, teams don't generally draft for need...or at least they shouldn't....but we tend to look at the draft as the main way to improve.

So...our main source of acquiring talent ideally does not account for need.

Something seems wrong there.

Maybe it's just about catching breaks, which doesn't appear to be our strong point either.
Teams don’t use the draft for need?
Wow!

morasp

Reaction score
You sound like a draft expert.
I read a lot they said on the GBAG radio program that teams were surprised by Farley lack on knowledge when it came to coverage schemes. That and the injuries remind me of Mo Claiborne.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hear ya and tend to agree.

Things always look very different even a year or two down the line, and you can't be hurting at LT when you passed on one in the draft not so long beforehand.

Thing is, teams don't generally draft for need...or at least they shouldn't....but we tend to look at the draft as the main way to improve.

So...our main source of acquiring talent ideally does not account for need.

Something seems wrong there.

Maybe it's just about catching breaks, which doesn't appear to be our strong point either.

I think another factor that doesn’t get talked about (and rightly criticized) enough is the terrible job we’ve done in free agency. Super Bowl teams like the Chiefs, Broncos, and Bucs have hit multiple great moves in free agency while the Cowboys have had one miss after another.

It’s one thing to not spend big in free agency, it’s quite another to have total misses like Cedric Thornton, Nolan Carroll, Stephen Paea, 2018’s receivers, and last year’s washout of Clinton Dix, McCoy, Worley, and Poe.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I read a lot they said on the GBAG radio program that teams were surprised by Farley lack on knowledge when it came to coverage schemes. That and the injuries remind me of Mo Claiborne.

He was slotted to be the first corner off the board before his surgery. Injury is a concern.

morasp

Reaction score
He was slotted to be the first corner off the board before his surgery. Injury is a concern.
I follow the rankings on NFL.com and they've actually moved Newsome from Northwestern ahead of Farley.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Prefer defense but if Sewell, Slater and Pitts are sitting there, and Surtain is gone, I jump all over Sewell or Slater...

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Depends upon who is available at #10.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Neither, ST. The son screwed up the 09 draft, give him another chance.

D, I tell you, D D D D! I don't want to hear the excuse last year that at 17, there wasn't a blue chipper. There will be several blue chip D players at 10.

This is going to be just like the Manziel draft except we don't have to wait as long with our hopes dropping every time he was passed over. Pitts and probably Chase need to come off before 10.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
There aren't that many CBs ready to start this year. Even Surtain would probably take some time to adjust.

So would you ignore a CB based on that? At some point we have to acknowledge that to get deep in the playoffs we are in need of a fusion of talent on defense. We also need to acknowledge that we aren't going to necessarily win anything in the next year or two, we are band aiding too many positions. Identify how we want to play, draft players that fit that and look to 2023 when we can start cutting/trading away the damaging contracts.

Problem is both these concepts are alien to Jerry with his flashy Offense and selling the fans a team that has a chance.

For me we need to look at value, which possibly means trading down (unless we have a certain player left on our draft board that is way way above anyone else, in a position of potential need).

CWR

Reaction score
Is it possible to be happy and pissed at the same time? That will happen with Pitts.

Yeah I get it. We really need Surtain. Hopefully by the time pick 10 comes around Pitts will be gone. I'd be pissed if both were gone. I've seen Horn get a lot of hype though. Parsons is interesting as well.

conner01

Reaction score
Defense, but with a qualifier. That defensive player needs to be ranked close to or above an offensive player.
I think that should be the case in every round
We all know we need defense but I don’t want to waste a single pick on a reach
I wanted defense last year but Lamb was just too good to pass up

conner01

Reaction score
There aren't that many CBs ready to start this year. Even Surtain would probably take some time to adjust.
I don’t agree
Surtain is the most day one ready CB in this draft
Diggs was ready to play day one
You don’t take a player at any position at 10 who is not ready day one

morasp

Reaction score
So would you ignore a CB based on that? At some point we have to acknowledge that to get deep in the playoffs we are in need of a fusion of talent on defense. We also need to acknowledge that we aren't going to necessarily win anything in the next year or two, we are band aiding too many positions. Identify how we want to play, draft players that fit that and look to 2023 when we can start cutting/trading away the damaging contracts.

Problem is both these concepts are alien to Jerry with his flashy Offense and selling the fans a team that has a chance.

For me we need to look at value, which possibly means trading down (unless we have a certain player left on our draft board that is way way above anyone else, in a position of potential need).
As we saw with Awuzie who was good but not great it's better to take a good one when you have the chance. For me I would prefer Surtain or Horn I guess Newsome might be OK too if we could add an additional day two pick but I don't think he's on their level. Surtain or Horn would be a clear upgrade over what we had last year.

morasp

Reaction score
I don’t agree
Surtain is the most day one ready CB in this draft
Diggs was ready to play day one
You don’t take a player at any position at 10 who is not ready day one
I said that a few weeks ago about Surtain and someone reminded me of Okudah. I thought Diggs gave up some big plays last year early on,which was the knock on him coming out, but got better by the end of the season. Surtain would probably have less of an adjustment.

visionary

Reaction score
Can’t say

I’d take Pitts or Sewell but they’re not there then trade down

Status
Not open for further replies.