CZ POLL Do you want the Cowboys to draft offense or defense with first pick?

Do you want the Cowboys to draft offense or defense with first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
As we saw with Awuzie who was good but not great it's better to take a good one when you have the chance. For me I would prefer Surtain or Horn I guess Newsome might be OK too if we could add an additional day two pick but I don't think he's on their level. Surtain or Horn would be a clear upgrade over what we had last year.

If we have a strong preference for the player available and he's a massive improvement over the other (e.g Surtain over Horn or any other named CB) then yes you pull the trigger. However, if there's no real remarkable preference and we get the chance to trade down (with benefits to this or next years draft), we need to do it.

starfan1

Reaction score
I think your poll needs a bit more to it. Yes defense is biggest need but if Pitts or Sewell fell to us offense is way to go

morasp

Reaction score
If we have a strong preference for the player available and he's a massive improvement over the other (e.g Surtain over Horn or any other named CB) then yes you pull the trigger. However, if there's no real remarkable preference and we get the chance to trade down (with benefits to this or next years draft), we need to do it.
That's actually what I was looking at this morning. Newsome will probably go later in round one and has the same draft grade as Diggs last year. I don't know how they've got them graded but NFL has Horn and Surtain quite a bit higher.

johneric8

Reaction score
They lost Awuzie, if anyone on this forum doesn't believe that the cowboys are going corner with their first pick they're on crack. Im not saying that Awuzie was a great player but he is better than most rookies coming in. If you have a chance to get a big talented corner like surtain you take him! They like their tight ends, if anyone believes that we're drafting a tight end you're smoking some good stuff. They're going corner with their first pick either way in my opinion.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't want defense for just the 1st pick. The first 3 picks or 3 of the first 4 picks need to be on defense.
Unless the Tight end is available. That would be the only reason why I would go offense. We can get a tackle somewhere

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It's not that simple. It depends on what's still available when it's our turn to pick. If TE Pitts is still there then we should claim him. If there is a player of the offense that is higher on the board than the players on defense then we pick BPA. Our biggest need is on defense but that doesn't mean our 1st pick should automatically be a defensive player. We saw this play out last year when our biggest need was on defense but WR Lamb fell to us.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's not that simple. It depends on what's still available when it's our turn to pick. If TE Pitts is still there then we should claim him. If there is a player of the offense that is higher on the board than the players on defense then we pick BPA. Our biggest need is on defense but that doesn't mean our 1st pick should automatically be a defensive player. We saw this play out last year when our biggest need was on defense but WR Lamb fell to us.
For me I don’t care how it unfolds there’s only two players I’m taking. With that pic.

ghst187

Reaction score
If Pitts is somehow there I’d take him in a heartbeat
After that Surtain. After that, I’d take Sewell.
Other than that I move down a bit for Horn

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Offense only if it's Pitts or an offensive lineman.
Defense outside of the above two.

cowboyec

Reaction score
depending on how the board looks...defense.
but you never know what the tide will bring in.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
i voted defense but they need to take the best player that their is remaining at that spot take best player

conner01

Reaction score
I said that a few weeks ago about Surtain and someone reminded me of Okudah. I thought Diggs gave up some big plays last year early on,which was the knock on him coming out, but got better by the end of the season. Surtain would probably have less of an adjustment.
No ones gonna be a shut down corner day one in this draft
But I think like Diggs last year, surtain will hold his own out there and be very solid
I think horn could too

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Quite a bit of "D unless Pitts is available" or some add Sewell.

How many unless' are you willing to give up in the 1st round to avoid addressing the, by far, weakest part of the team?

How does Pitts help this team? Already have the best triplet WR's in the league. There's still only one ball. They added Lamb to the 2nd ranked O and went from 8 wins to 6 and he delivered, he was a great performing 1st rounder. What he wasn't was a need, he was a luxury. This team does not need a TE.

morasp

Reaction score
No ones gonna be a shut down corner day one in this draft
But I think like Diggs last year, surtain will hold his own out there and be very solid
I think horn could too
I would be good with either I guess Horn's Defensive coach is friends with Quinn.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Farley sounds like a bust to me they said when teams did interviews with him they were surprised by how little he understood coverage schemes..
He's a WR convert just like Diggs and he managed to be much better than Diggs at it despite apparently knowing little about coverage schemes.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Defense unless the other teams gift them with Pitts. Anyone else I wouldn't mind a slight trade down before taking a CB.

ultron

Reaction score
I bet there’s a team in the teens that REALLY wants Pitts. If he’s there at 10 I’d take him and trade him for their pick and a 1st rounder next year & then draft Horn with their pick

Status
Not open for further replies.