CZ POLL Do you want the Cowboys to give Dak Prescott a new contract? **merged**

Do you want the Cowboys to give Dak Prescott a new contract?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I absolutely think we should draft another quarterback. There always should be competition, but I wouldn't spend a first round pick because I don't see the need as pressing with Prescott on the roster.

So a second or what are we talking about here because if what we are talking about is a low round pick, a 6th or 7th or something, that's competition. That's looking for a backup or bringing in a camp arm typically.
Ultimately, as I said previously, this needs to be the decision of the new coaching staff, assuming that happens.

JMO

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
So a second or what are we talking about here because if what we are talking about is a low round pick, a 6th or 7th or something, that's competition. That's looking for a backup or bringing in a camp arm typically.
Ultimately, as I said previously, this needs to be the decision of the new coaching staff, assuming that happens.

JMO
I would use a 3rd or 4th if a guy the scouts like is there. When you get into the later rounds it's much tougher to get a quality QB. I believe it was Andy Reid that said he would like to draft a QB every year for grooming. If they turn out to be starter material trade them for a profit if your QB position is already filled.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Of course fans are down on Dak. He played against #2 and #3 pass defenses in the NFL the pass two weeks, and those units by definition tend to make QBs look bad. Couple the shortsightedness of sports fans plus the general frustration of posters with this season, and you'll have people thinking Dak's not the answer here. Maybe we should let him walk. Maybe we should play FT chicken with him. Maybe we should mortgage the future for the next new shiny toy.

Fans need to stop looking back at the past 2 games and forward towards the next 50.

Dak is 25 years old. Looking around the landscape of the NFL, you've got say he's been at least a top 10 QB this season. He projects to remain one as the old guard begins to decline and retire. Under what situation are you going to let a top 10 QB entering his prime walk and go QB fishing? And is there anything that Dak's going to do in the next 5 games that will change that evaluation of him?

No. You pay him his money and you keep him here. If he wants Russell Wilson money, that check is written.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course fans are down on Dak. He played against #2 and #3 pass defenses in the NFL the pass two weeks, and those units by definition tend to make QBs look bad. Couple the shortsightedness of sports fans plus the general frustration of posters with this season, and you'll have people thinking Dak's not the answer here. Maybe we should let him walk. Maybe we should play FT chicken with him. Maybe we should mortgage the future for the next new shiny toy.

Fans need to stop looking back at the past 2 games and forward towards the next 50.

Dak is 25 years old. Looking around the landscape of the NFL, you've got say he's been at least a top 10 QB this season. He projects to remain one as the old guard begins to decline and retire. Under what situation are you going to let a top 10 QB entering his prime walk and go QB fishing? And is there anything that Dak's going to do in the next 5 games that will change that evaluation of him?

No. You pay him his money and you keep him here. If he wants Russell Wilson money, that check is written.

You go right ahead and write that check and let the Cowboys pass on giving this young man cap monies that his talent pay grade simply doesn't warrant!
What last 2 games are you talking about bud? How easy you forget the past 3 seasons where scoring in the Red-Zone was Field Goal city galore and how life was those 6 games without Zeke?
Remember that shut out by the Colts?
Remember how the both the Packers and Rams both jumped out to big leads in both our playoff losses?
Nah you just come here and post crazy and destruction for our Star for a QB who is average at best to receive a large portion of our most needed Cap dollars!
We are Cowboy fans and getting embarrassed by quality teams is becoming the norm with inept Dak.
Start saluting the Star and not Dak Prescott.

P.S.The Star was here before Prescott and YA it will be hereafter Prescott!

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
You go right ahead and write that check and let the Cowboys pass on giving this young man cap monies that his talent pay grade simply doesn't warrant!
What last 2 games are you talking about bud? How easy you forget the past 3 seasons where scoring in the Red-Zone was Field Goal city galore and how life was those 6 games without Zeke?
Remember that shut out by the Colts?
Remember how the both the Packers and Rams both jumped out to big leads in both our playoff losses?
Nah you just come here and post crazy and destruction for our Star for a QB who is average at best to receive a large portion of our most needed Cap dollars!
We are Cowboy fans and getting embarrassed by quality teams is becoming the norm with inept Dak.
Start saluting the Star and not Dak Prescott.

P.S.The Star was here before Prescott and YA it will be hereafter Prescott!

If you can't see how Dak has improved from 2016-18 to today, I can't help you. It's not a fluke or coasting surrounding talent; he has simply upped his game.

"We are Cowboys fans and getting embarrassed by quality teams is becoming the norm with inept Dak."

There's 21 other players on the field too. Might want to take a look at them, because #4's not the problem.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I would use a 3rd or 4th if a guy the scouts like is there. When you get into the later rounds it's much tougher to get a quality QB. I believe it was Andy Reid that said he would like to draft a QB every year for grooming. If they turn out to be starter material trade them for a profit if your QB position is already filled.

That line of thought actually comes from San Francisco, as I recall. Mike Holmegren brought it to Green Bay and it has pretty much spread throughout the Bill Walsh Coaching Tree. Now, I'm not sure it was Walsh who actually came up with the practice but I know all of his coaches kinda believe in that idea. I mean, Walsh and his WC is a product of Paul Brown and his old Ohio Offense so it's hard to know where the practice actually came from but it's possible that it did not originate from Walsh.

BTW, I don't believe in that idea. I think it's wise to pick a QB every three years or so. It takes a good three years to get a young QB up to speed. Obviously, that's not hard and fast, there are exceptions but you get the idea. I, personally believe that you can't really develop more then one young QB at a time. It takes resources and time to develop young QBs and it you are doing it with more then one at a time, I believe it takes away from things like preparing your team for games. I believe that QB Coaching should not only be spent on young QBs but should be a continuous thing with starters as well. Especially now, when you see QBs coming into the Pros with a lessor developed set of mechanics, in terms of throwing motion etc.

JMO

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

That's a bad idea. If you believe that Garrett could be done by end of season, this is a horrible idea.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's a bad idea. If you believe that Garrett could be done by end of season, this is a horrible idea.

That's an excellent point and I can't help but to wonder if Dak's re-signing or not is directly tied into that. Smart thinking would be to ride out the current deal and leave it up to the new coach to decide whether or not he wants to continue working with Dak and the team paying huge money to do that.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
That line of thought actually comes from San Francisco, as I recall. Mike Holmegren brought it to Green Bay and it has pretty much spread throughout the Bill Walsh Coaching Tree. Now, I'm not sure it was Walsh who actually came up with the practice but I know all of his coaches kinda believe in that idea. I mean, Walsh and his WC is a product of Paul Brown and his old Ohio Offense so it's hard to know where the practice actually came from but it's possible that it did not originate from Walsh.

BTW, I don't believe in that idea. I think it's wise to pick a QB every three years or so. It takes a good three years to get a young QB up to speed. Obviously, that's not hard and fast, there are exceptions but you get the idea. I, personally believe that you can't really develop more then one young QB at a time. It takes resources and time to develop young QBs and it you are doing it with more then one at a time, I believe it takes away from things like preparing your team for games. I believe that QB Coaching should not only be spent on young QBs but should be a continuous thing with starters as well. Especially now, when you see QBs coming into the Pros with a lessor developed set of mechanics, in terms of throwing motion etc.

JMO
Excellent post, and you're right it was a philosophy of the Bill Walsh coaching tree.

You make valid points in your argument. I remember it getting a bit messy during the Aikman, Walsh, early years.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Polls and polls to go ...
Pay that man. He’s got room to grow. Has the mentality of always wanting to improve. He’s yet to hit his ceiling in my humble opinion. And if we did it now, could probably get a good deal. One way or another he’ll get his money. But do it now so there’s no outrageous contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.