Does Anyone Else Want a Rebuild Out of Boredom?

JustChip

Reaction score
I can't disagree. But what does it take to win a championship? Or are we content with coming close?
The question is whether a lessor QB at a significantly lessor cost would result in an overall better team. There would be a chance with most other organizations, but questionable with this organization. They had the benefit of a rookie 4th round QB and failed.

Frankly, I’m convinced it doesn’t matter as long as the Jones boys own the team. Dak at 60 million, Lance at 5 million, or door # 3, it won’t matter. Relevance and a successful regular season with the occasional playoff win is the ceiling.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Speaking for myself, I've had it with all the mediocre results that we've had to digest as Cowboys fans for the past several decades. I long for the kind of success that we had with the Landry teams. That's unlikely to happen in what's left of my lifetime, so I content myself with being entertained. Jerry and Stephen simply aren't the caliber of what's needed in terms of front office management. It might very well take a miracle for that to change.

Last edited:

kevm3

Reaction score
What is a rebuild going to accomplish with Jerry and son picking the players and coaches? We've seen 30 years of this, so what exactly are we going to do different? We could have easily took a shot at Harbaugh or even Beliichick and went all in for one more year at least, but we didnt'. They let talent go and didn't do anything in free agency. Who believes Jerry or Stephen is going to pick a hardnosed coach or put an actual team around the new QB versus putting together a bargain budget team?

If you want to see a worse version of today, sure, let's go into rebuild mode.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I want a culture change. The ‘89 1-15 team was humbling for Jerry and Jimmy. People laughed at them. They said Jimmy and Jerry were out of their league. I think that made Jerry hungry, it hurt his ego, he did everything he could to win. Then we won and Jerry got satisfied, complacent, proud of himself. I would happily sit through 2 or 3 seasons like ‘89 if it meant Jerry got his competitive spirit back.

For me it’s not about draft position but more about Jerry’s position in the NFL. When Jerry was trying to prove he belonged he was a different owner. We need that back. So maybe going 1-16 or 0-17 for a couple seasons would make Jerry/Stephen feel the need to prove themselves. And maybe not filling up the stadium would be good too. Either way I’d suffer through some bad seasons if it meant a culture change back to winning is everything like was had in the 90’s.
That doesn't make sense to me. Winning the Super Bowl makes you want to duplicate that success. This is confirmed through interviews with Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. I don't think Jerry Jones is any different. He wants to win the Super Bowl again.

Flamma

Reaction score
We’re not going to have an average QB in 2024. Tampa didn’t have a very tough schedule. They played Carolina twice. In their last 6 games of the season they only played one playoff team and that was Green Bay who wasn’t playing that good when Tampa faced them in week 15. With our schedule last season and our lack of a running game and our struggles against the run we wouldn’t have stood a chance with Mayfield at QB.
We lost to every tough team we faced, and beat the crap teams. We can do that with Baker.

Flamma

Reaction score
The question is whether a lessor QB at a significantly lessor cost would result in an overall better team. There would be a chance with most other organizations, but questionable with this organization. They had the benefit of a rookie 4th round QB and failed.

Frankly, I’m convinced it doesn’t matter as long as the Jones boys own the team. Dak at 60 million, Lance at 5 million, or door # 3, it won’t matter. Relevance and a successful regular season with the occasional playoff win is the ceiling.
I agree. We need an elite QB to have a chance. A QB at a lesser cost would only go as far as allowing the signing of more of our own players. It would not change their SOP.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We lost to every tough team we faced, and beat the crap teams. We can do that with Baker.
We would have lost to Seattle and Detroit with Mayfield. The main reason we beat the crap out of some of the other teams. It was mostly defensive and special teams scores that led to those blowouts. We got every break go our way in those games.

plymkr

Reaction score
That doesn't make sense to me. Winning the Super Bowl makes you want to duplicate that success. This is confirmed through interviews with Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. I don't think Jerry Jones is any different. He wants to win the Super Bowl again.
I see it differently. I feel in the early 90’s Jerry wasn’t considered a football guy. Especially after he fired Landry and brought in Jimmy and went 1-15. No one took them seriously. It was Jerry and Jimmy vs the world. Once Jerry won back to back Championships he got arrogant. Everyone knows the rest. Now Jerry is in the HOF and always uses the early 90’s to validate his way of doing things. Jerry wasn’t content with just being rich back then, he wanted to win and prove himself. Now it’s more about marketing and ego. That’s my observation. I don’t feel your observation is wrong it’s just not how I see it. I feel if he really wanted to win a Super Bowl again he would go back to managing the marketing and bring in a guy to handle the team like he did with Jimmy. That’s the basis of my opinion why I feel he’s content to rest on his past.

Flamma

Reaction score
We would have lost to Seattle and Detroit with Mayfield. The main reason we beat the crap out of some of the other teams. It was mostly defensive and special teams scores that led to those blowouts. We got every break go our way in those games.
I'll agree to that. We probably would have lost to those teams.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I see it differently. I feel in the early 90’s Jerry wasn’t considered a football guy. Especially after he fired Landry and brought in Jimmy and went 1-15. No one took them seriously. It was Jerry and Jimmy vs the world. Once Jerry won back to back Championships he got arrogant. Everyone knows the rest. Now Jerry is in the HOF and always uses the early 90’s to validate his way of doing things. Jerry wasn’t content with just being rich back then, he wanted to win and prove himself. Now it’s more about marketing and ego. That’s my observation. I don’t feel your observation is wrong it’s just not how I see it. I feel if he really wanted to win a Super Bowl again he would go back to managing the marketing and bring in a guy to handle the team like he did with Jimmy. That’s the basis of my opinion why I feel he’s content to rest on his past.
So it's Charolette's fault? She doesn't market the team right so now they suck in the playoffs. I'm not saying you're wrong but I definitely don't see it that way. As for Jerry using the early 90's as justification that his way is right, three Lombardi trophies are pretty convincing to me. I appreciate this conversation. We just don't agree.

plymkr

Reaction score
So it's Charolette's fault? She doesn't market the team right so now they suck in the playoffs. I'm not saying you're wrong but I definitely don't see it that way. As for Jerry using the early 90's as justification that his way is right, three Lombardi trophies are pretty convincing to me. I appreciate this conversation. We just don't agree.
You know I got to give you respect. Even though we didn’t agree the conversation stayed respectful. Much respect to you sir. I wish all conversations went this way.

Hadenough

Reaction score
With the same head coach and same QB, it just feels like the other pieces don’t matter. We will waffle somewhere between average and good, which I’m beginning to despise.

At this point I’d rather have a rebuild and accept an awful team with awesome draft pick position for a few years just to inject some novelty and long term hope

I know that’s not logical. I know anything can happen if you get to the playoffs, but I have 0 belief in this team as is. It’s like wanting to restart franchise mode in Madden because you made some bad decisions and just kept playing through it anyway.
They don't need a rebuild. They just need a QB that won't crap the bed and roll in it when they play good teams.