Does anyone know if we ever got an offer from the Bears?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Only one reason I can think of. They want to give QB Jones every opportunity to succeed. Then make a decision on whether or not to extend him after 2021. They could have done that with Slater. But I guess they rather have the 1st next year and the WR. But the Cowboys need all the help they can get. That trade would have sucked for us.
I get it. I just don’t think it’s smart especially for them because I honestly think the Giants could win the NFC East. Everyone has weaknesses in this division but to me they did the most to improve their weaknesses.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This team always feels that they’re contenders.
Yep. Right or wrong they are never rebuilding. They build their team to win now. Even the defense. I give them credit for rebuilding it in just 2 years but for the most part the core is still there. If I have the worst defense I’ve ever witnessed I’m tearing it up. That’s not their MO though.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree and they know better than me I’m not gonna sit here and say what they should’ve done but to me if they need offensive line help they could’ve plugged Slater at guard or tackle. And Daniel Jones is tricky. I can get not getting Fields....if they still believe in Jones. They clearly do and are about to give him and Garrett another year together. Yikes....

I worry more about that Giants defense. They made chicken salad out of chicken **** last year in year one with a new staff (unlike our disaster). That defense might be good enough to carry them to some wins.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep. Right or wrong they are never rebuilding. They build their team to win now. Even the defense. I give them credit for rebuilding it in just 2 years but for the most part the core is still there. If I have the worst defense I’ve ever witnessed I’m tearing it up. That’s not their MO though.

No. They always think this is ‘their year’!

:facepalm:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Not only that but we are trying to win now. I don’t care about next years draft capital that’s Stephen Jones’s obsession. I’m not trading down to 20 in a top heavy draft. It’s silly.

I think it’s funny some people hate the draft but wanted them to take that trade.

We’re trying to win now? We’ve done the bare minimum for a win now team.

Dallas is trying to be mediocre.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We’re trying to win now? We’ve done the bare minimum for a win now team.

Dallas is trying to be mediocre.
That's subjective.

Not saying this is my stance but we definitely know the Cowboys believe had they had a healthy team they would've won the NFC East. They felt their biggest weakness was defense. They brought in Quinn and brought in a bunch of rookies and cheap free agents to fix this.

I'm sure they look at the rest of the NFC and they don't see any juggernaut dynasty's staring at them. Like I said above, Jason Garrett spoon fed that "process" crap to keep his job for 10 years but it doesn't take 10 years. All it takes is a offseason. The Cowboys for the past few years have been collecting talent on defense. if guys like Gallimore, Donovan Wilson and Diggs take another step forward.....if Parsons has a year 1 impact like Chase Young did for the Commanders...its already a better defense on that alone.

I worry more about that Giants defense. They made chicken salad out of chicken **** last year in year one with a new staff (unlike our disaster). That defense might be good enough to carry them to some wins.
Oh I worry about the defense too. To me its a given the defense will be good next year. Same for Commanders. They will both be good. I don't know how good but I project them both to be top 10.

I also think that Giants offense will be good. I just have not faith in Daniel Jones but they clearly do and if he turns the corner? Its lights out. The worst offense in the league last year gets Barkley back....added Golladay...they've been drafting young offensive linemen every year....if anyone is looking for a team to sort of come out of nowhere and be good? Its the Giants as much as it hates me to say.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
[QUOTE="rocyaice” ]
Oh I worry about the defense too. To me its a given the defense will be good next year. Same for Commanders. They will both be good. I don't know how good but I project them both to be top 10.[/quote]

Yeah. Our offense had better be firing on all cylinders when we play them.

I also think that Giants offense will be good. I just have not faith in Daniel Jones but they clearly do and if he turns the corner? Its lights out. The worst offense in the league last year gets Barkley back....added Golladay...they've been drafting young offensive linemen every year....if anyone is looking for a team to sort of come out of nowhere and be good? Its the Giants as much as it hates me to say.

I have faith in Garrett to screw that up. I’m still pleasantly shocked they brought him back.

blueblood70

Reaction score
not one shred of evidence,

so i say no..

and lets live in the now and future not whats past and trying to dig up more narratives to bash the Jonses..most of which are constantly busted,..hes divide between perception and realties created here are grand canyon like..

always looking to start bash threads which are far more popular then positive types..

if we want to make assumptions, im betting the DC FO would have made that trade as they could have taken say barmore, Moehrig, or even Farley down there and got all they wanted after..no reason they wouldn't consider it it after already losing Horn and Surtain , many defenders down at 20 to take..

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
[QUOTE="rocyaice” ]
Oh I worry about the defense too. To me its a given the defense will be good next year. Same for Commanders. They will both be good. I don't know how good but I project them both to be top 10.

Yeah. Our offense had better be firing on all cylinders when we play them.

I have faith in Garrett to screw that up. I’m still pleasantly shocked they brought him back.[/QUOTE]
I mean that's the hope.....

But I'm not gonna sit here and say I haven't had nightmares of Giants winning the NFC East and having a top 10 offense....I think Garrett turns the corner this year too....

lostar2009

Reaction score
I feel like we had to of. If they moved up to 11 why wouldn't they at least inquire at 10 knowing also that Dallas is always a wild card. Don't you think they'd be worried about Dallas trading down with say NE and them losing there guy?

Maybe they figure 11 was cheaper than 10. And they knew we wasn't selecting a QB. So why trade up for 10 when they knew 11 they good?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean that's the hope.....

But I'm not gonna sit here and say I haven't had nightmares of Giants winning the NFC East and having a top 10 offense....I think Garrett turns the corner this year too....

I will never be afraid of a Garrett-led offense. Unless he’s coaching FOR the Cowboys. But it will be interesting to revisit this subject during the season to see how he’s doing.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I will never be afraid of a Garrett-led offense. Unless he’s coaching FOR the Cowboys. But it will be interesting to revisit this subject during the season to see how he’s doing.
Yeah they sucked last year but in Garret's defense I don't know what he could've done with such piss poor talent. And its not really that I fear the Giants or Garrett....its just...I don't know I have a bad feeling that what they get out of Garrett is the opposite of what we got. Like Wade going to get a Super Bowl with the Bronco's....

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
In retrospect, that looks like the most likely scenario. When the corners went, Parsons was their top defensive player left. There was a big drop off after him on their boards.

They knew that they could still get one of Slater or Parsons if they dropped down two spots so they were willing to risk that. But dropping down to 20 means they’re both gone. And they likely weren’t willing to miss out on both

They shouldn't get trapped in Oneitis. Or Twoitis. There are more fish in the sea.

Is Parsons supposed to be some generational player that we couldn't afford to pass up on? I don't think so. Very good and likely Pro Bowl player, but not at a premier position. Slater is not a a Tyron. Neither are guys we couldn't pass on, and they weren't even the guys they were hoping for.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah they sucked last year but in Garret's defense I don't know what he could've done with such piss poor talent. And its not really that I fear the Giants or Garrett....its just...I don't know I have a bad feeling that what they get out of Garrett is the opposite of what we got. Like Wade going to get a Super Bowl with the Bronco's....

I hear ya. But if it makes you feel any better, Wade showed he was a good coordinator before and after Dallas as well. Garrett never has.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The Cowboys claim their target in the 1st round after the CBs they were after were gone was LB Micah Parsons. They didn't want to trade too far down that it might jeopardize drafting him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They shouldn't get trapped in Oneitis. Or Twoitis. There are more fish in the sea.

Is Parsons supposed to be some generational player that we couldn't afford to pass up on? I don't think so. Very good and likely Pro Bowl player, but not at a premier position. Slater is not a a Tyron. Neither are guys we couldn't pass on, and they weren't even the guys they were hoping for.

I firmly believe that the Cowboys - and most of the league - had a consensus of about 10 top players. And Parsons and Slater were the last two of those players.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No we didn’t. It’s been reported we didn’t get that offer. I don’t know why people are still so upset about something that never was

Agree, and what does it matter if we did get an offer. It's too late now. It only serves for fans with an agenda. :laugh:

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I'm surprised they wouldn't get a call either. But maybe they just had 3 or 4 players in mind they wanted in the 1st round and felt they wouldnt have a shot if they traded down further.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I posted in another thread. That the NYG defense improved and played well last year. And that the WFT defense, as many think it is great. Well they are good. But I seen games where they were scored upon easily. They only looked great against our make shift OL and back up QB's. I watched as much as I could of the NFCE opponents, with NFL ST. So it was not like I am basing it on just games against us.
I agree, I am more concerned with the NY defense over WFT. But who knows, this is a new year.