Does anyone know if we ever got an offer from the Bears?

Flamma

Reaction score
Caleb Farley. Then in the 2nd round they could have used one of their 4th round picks to move up for Moehrig.

Well, Parsons and Kelvin Joseph as opposed to Farley, Moehrig, and next year's 1st round pick from Chicago. I think the play of Parsons is going to determine which of the two is better.

fivetwos

Reaction score
People are still making up this bullcrap trade that was never offered to us.
Still waiting on an answer as to who said that and when.

I'm not buying that Chicago drafted a franchise QB at 11 but didn't pick up the phone at 10.

Scotman

Reaction score
In retrospect, that looks like the most likely scenario. When the corners went, Parsons was their top defensive player left. There was a big drop off after him on their boards.

They knew that they could still get one of Slater or Parsons if they dropped down two spots so they were willing to risk that. But dropping down to 20 means they’re both gone. And they likely weren’t willing to miss out on both
IF they had an offer, I don't think the process is really any more complicated than this. I think you probably nailed it.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Jerry talked about it that night. He said they had an offer to move lower than they did but didn’t want to miss out on Parsons. Had to have been the Bears.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Still waiting on an answer as to who said that and when.

I'm not buying that Chicago drafted a franchise QB at 11 but didn't pick up the phone at 10.
It makes sense though. Why would you call Dallas who had the higher pick and weren't in the market for a quarterback?

Mind you....when was this call even made?

Because all things point to the Giants drafting Devonta Smith. So if the Cowboys just traded with the Eagles that was the writing on the wall for the Giants so at that point if I'm a team I'm calling the Giants knowing they just missed out on their target of Devonta.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don’t think we did.

and I suspect that if Devonte Smith was not taken at 10 by Philly, the Giants would not have taken this trade at 11
They wouldn't have. It just worked out perfect for the Giants...well perfect as it could. Smith was the target. They missed out....for some reason they still felt receiver was a weakness so they were determined to get one. They could trade down and still get one. Cowboys didn't have that luxury. They trade down their draft is screwed this year.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
to trade down to 20?
The Cowboys were not going to trade down to #20 even for an 1st round pick next year.

All of the players they had graded as 1st round picks that didn't have serious medical issues would have been off the board.

Micah Parsons was a slam dunk elite prospect. He only made it to #12 because the NFL puts a higher value on QB, WR and CB than off-ball LB.

Parsons was almost universally regarded as a better prospect than the CBs that were drafted ahead of him, but teams lean towards need and positional value.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The Cowboys were not going to trade down to #20 even for an 1st round pick next year.

All of the players they had graded as 1st round picks that didn't have serious medical issues would have been off the board.

Micah Parsons was a slam dunk elite prospect. He only made it to #12 because the NFL puts a higher value on QB, WR and CB than off-ball LB.

Parsons was almost universally regarded as a better prospect than the CBs that were drafted ahead of him, but teams lean towards need and positional value.
not sure they wouldn't have considered a trade to 20 but i agree with the rest,,fans see to think parsons was consolation prize and missing on the 2 cbs left us parsons as last resort when in fact he for sure was on most peoples mocks going to us and for sure on the DC list regardless of what order they had for 1st rounders', he was on there , no doubt..

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
In hindsight it would have been a mistake. Who would Dallas have picked? Barmore, Moehrig? I was all for it, I just didn't foresee both of those players dropping as far as they did. I thought they'd go sooner than their projection.

As it turns out, Dallas could have traded up for either of those two relatively cheap. I don't think they wanted either one.

I would have taken Newsome at 20. 3rd corner on my board and get the 1st next year. Parsons better be worth it or it's gonna look bad not getting that 1st next year.

Flamma

Reaction score
I would have taken Newsome at 20. 3rd corner on my board and get the 1st next year. Parsons better be worth it or it's gonna look bad not getting that 1st next year.

Yeah, like I said in a different post, Parson's play is going to eventually determine what was the right move. I just thought it was a crap offer by Chicago. I would have rather had their 2nd this year.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Yeah, like I said in a different post, Parson's play is going to eventually determine what was the right move. I just thought it was a crap offer by Chicago. I would have rather had their 2nd this year.

A 2nd this year would have been great too.

blueblood70

Reaction score
you keep using the unproven fact we were offered the trade, no proof whatsoever, using hypotheticals as fact is ridiculous..

so better who you bettering?? the DC Team is now your child..what are you going to do if turns out to be mists??nothing

keep watching ,thats how it works for fans..we dot control all this and thats also assuming Newsome is what all world? what if he stinks?/ see all the what if in stupid what if thread after thread..smh.

Parsons is regarded as one of the best defenders in the draft, hes gifted athletically and only getting better, he was picked 12th good or bad it was the correct pick at the moment..it wasn't bad pick now and wont be if he doesnt meet expectations. Its how the draft works.

this isn't taco situation...we picked both need and best defender on the board..

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
not sure they wouldn't have considered a trade to 20 but i agree with the rest,,fans see to think parsons was consolation prize and missing on the 2 cbs left us parsons as last resort when in fact he for sure was on most peoples mocks going to us and for sure on the DC list regardless of what order they had for 1st rounders', he was on there , no doubt..

The majority of the draft media has Parsons ranked as a top 10 pick.

Multiple well known draft analysts said Parsons would have been ranked ahead of Isaiah Simmons if they had been in the same draft (Simmons was #8 in 2020).

The Cowboys biggest issue in 2020 might have been the LB position.

How could they possibly pass on an elite prospect?