Does anyone know if we ever got an offer from the Bears?

Creeper

Reaction score
In hindsight it would have been a mistake. Who would Dallas have picked? Barmore, Moehrig? I was all for it, I just didn't foresee both of those players dropping as far as they did. I thought they'd go sooner than their projection.

As it turns out, Dallas could have traded up for either of those two relatively cheap. I don't think they wanted either one.

Newsome or Stokes. Or maybe even Farley, although I don't think the Cowboys would risk Farley there. I heard he was taken off a lot of teams first round boards because of the back issues. But if the goal was to take one of the top CBs at 10, trading down to 20 and taking Newsome or Stokes would have kept the Cowboys strategy in place for the rest of the draft - whatever it was - and given them more draft capital. But there is more than one way to win a draft so taking LB, CB instead of CB, something else works too, as long as they got a good CB. And I think Joseph will not disappoint.

Creeper

Reaction score
Maybe the Bears didn't think it would be worth the extra they'd have to give up for one more spot. Maybe they were working their way down the line until they found the first team willing to make a deal.

I am sure this was the Bears thinking. They knew the Cowboys were not going to take a QB. The only question would be if the Cowboys traded out of 12 to NE, in which case the Bear would lose one of Jones or Fields but could still get a QB at 11. Jerry would have had to be willing to take less than the Giants or at least the same as the Giants, but he would have had no idea what the Giants were offered.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
you keep using the unproven fact we were offered the trade, no proof whatsoever, using hypotheticals as fact is ridiculous..

so better who you bettering?? the DC Team is now your child..what are you going to do if turns out to be mists??nothing

keep watching ,thats how it works for fans..we dot control all this and thats also assuming Newsome is what all world? what if he stinks?/ see all the what if in stupid what if thread after thread..smh.

Parsons is regarded as one of the best defenders in the draft, hes gifted athletically and only getting better, he was picked 12th good or bad it was the correct pick at the moment..it wasn't bad pick now and wont be if he doesnt meet expectations. Its how the draft works.

this isn't taco situation...we picked both need and best defender on the board..

I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm speaking on a hypothetical. I think it's more likely the Cowboys were offered something similar, but I'm not stating it as a fact. It's getting old when people complain about discussion on a discussion board. None of us have any say so on the team.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, like I said in a different post, Parson's play is going to eventually determine what was the right move. I just thought it was a crap offer by Chicago. I would have rather had their 2nd this year.
Their GM was not trading that, he and his HC are on the hot seat, might not be there next year. I wonder if the owner winced a little when that was announced, the first gone next year. Unless he had to seek permission to do it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No one here will know the truth, even if you think they speak it. Not any more than was Parsons really the target all along.

And what if they were made that offer? Just because you would have taken it doesn't make it the right thing to do. You don't know who they take at 20, what if its another Charleton?

By all accounts, this was not a great D draft, the fall off was steep and the Cowboys were the team that needed the most help on D.

Not only do we not know but we don't know how many teams are made those offers of a future 1st in every draft and pass on that.

If they were offered that, they decided that this player, right now, is worth the 12th pick and whatever 1st rounder that would have been in 2022. Was that a mistake? Won't know for a while.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
I firmly believe that the Cowboys - and most of the league - had a consensus of about 10 top players. And Parsons and Slater were the last two of those players.
You are spot on. Trading down for the sake of trading down doesn't make a lot of sense. And I don't know what being or not being a Super Bowl contender has to do with it. The draft is about adding talent to build a team.

It seems pretty safe to assume Dallas was comfortable using its first round pick on one of five players -- the two corners, the two offensive tackles and Parsons. All would have been long gone before 20.

And I'm not sure the Bears trade would have been that attractive. Most everyone seemed to agree the draft had no more than 16-18 true first round players. So you draft a player you like considerably less than Parsons.

Next year's Bears one would have been nice. But I'm not on board with those who acted like it would be an automatic top 10 pick. The Lions replaced Stafford with Goff, the Vikings let their defense get old in a hurry, and the Packers might be playing without Rodgers. Who knows where the Bears finish?

As for whether the Cowboys had the opportunity, it's probably semantics. Trade ideas are cooked before the draft. The Cowboys probably let the Bears know they anticipated getting one of their targets and weren't particularly interested. So the Bears didn't call.

The Giants reacted to having lost their player and thus triggered the trade.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
In retrospect, that looks like the most likely scenario. When the corners went, Parsons was their top defensive player left. There was a big drop off after him on their boards.

They knew that they could still get one of Slater or Parsons if they dropped down two spots so they were willing to risk that. But dropping down to 20 means they’re both gone. And they likely weren’t willing to miss out on both
Yep, this is most likely what happened. I don’t blame them for not wanting to trade away from Parsons, either. I’m certainly glad they didn’t. That kind of blue chip talent is always great to add to your team and he was about the last one.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I firmly believe that the Cowboys - and most of the league - had a consensus of about 10 top players. And Parsons and Slater were the last two of those players.
Yes.
When Dallas was at 10 there were 4 left; those two plus Smith and Fields.

Knowing Philly was trading up for Smith took the risk out of trading down two spots....or even 3.
Drop further than that and that upper-tier is gone.

Teams picking 10-13 were all thrilled to get those last players 4 players in that tier.

plasticman

Reaction score
All I read about was pure speculation, there were numerous articles that posed the potential trade but there was never any response from either team as to the reality of such a trade.

Without citing any specific team source, writers mentioned scenarios described with words like "if", "could", "possible", and "potential".

These were all opinion articles, none of them were reporting actual news.

Flamma

Reaction score
Their GM was not trading that, he and his HC are on the hot seat, might not be there next year. I wonder if the owner winced a little when that was announced, the first gone next year. Unless he had to seek permission to do it.

I don't know how Fields is going to turn out. But if you told me that the Bears were going to not only draft Fields, but do it without hurting this year's draft, I would have laughed. I know they gave up a 5th this year. Next years first won't matter if their pick pans out.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
The Cowboys were not going to trade down to #20 even for an 1st round pick next year.

All of the players they had graded as 1st round picks that didn't have serious medical issues would have been off the board.

Micah Parsons was a slam dunk elite prospect. He only made it to #12 because the NFL puts a higher value on QB, WR and CB than off-ball LB.

Parsons was almost universally regarded as a better prospect than the CBs that were drafted ahead of him, but teams lean towards need and positional value.
Is corners positional value greater than MLB?

fivetwos

Reaction score
It makes sense though. Why would you call Dallas who had the higher pick and weren't in the market for a quarterback?

Mind you....when was this call even made?

Because all things point to the Giants drafting Devonta Smith. So if the Cowboys just traded with the Eagles that was the writing on the wall for the Giants so at that point if I'm a team I'm calling the Giants knowing they just missed out on their target of Devonta.
Because the idea was getting in front of Philly for Fields.

If he is your guy, you don't take the chance that NY will trade you the pick.

Hey....you at least pick up the phone and ask!

I do not at all buy that they never spoke.

If the team says they didn't want to lose out on Parsons, that's fair and acceptable (although I didnt think so immediately after) and all is fine.

If Parsons turns out to be what they think he is its all moot.

I just dont care for the insinuation that Chicago never once called. That makes zero sense.

Maybe they were told no, but they at least made the call earlier in the week.

I also seriously doubt they offered Dallas a 2nd for 10, then offered a 1st plus for 11.

I think Jerry wanted to be sure he got a "top defensive player" in this draft.

He needs to improve now, not in a year.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Because the idea was getting in front of Philly for Fields.

If he is your guy, you don't take the chance that NY will trade you the pick.

Hey....you at least pick up the phone and ask!

I do not at all buy that they never spoke.

If the team says they didn't want to lose out on Parsons, that's fair and acceptable (although I didnt think so immediately after) and all is fine.

If Parsons turns out to be what they think he is its all moot.

I just dont care for the insinuation that Chicago never once called. That makes zero sense.

Maybe they were told no, but they at least made the call earlier in the week.

I also seriously doubt they offered Dallas a 2nd for 10, then offered a 1st plus for 11.

I think Jerry wanted to be sure he got a "top defensive player" in this draft.

He needs to improve now, not in a year.
I agree, had they made an offer to Jerry I don't doubt that he'd turn it down

But.....Just to clear, I assume anyone saying they offered a 2nd to Dallas was referring to this years 2nd
They offered a 2022 1st to NY (or roughly the trade value of this years 2nd)
Either way, they would’ve needed to offer slightly more to get to 10.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Should it be? Who would you take in their prime to start a team, Deion Sanders or Ray Lewis?
Is that a serious question?

The Cowboys don't win the 95 season Super Bowl without Deion.

The MLB was Robert Jones.