Does anyone seriously think Jerry is a Football Guy

cowboyed

Reaction score
Man, you must have never played sports. I played w/ many guys in baseball who were not baseball guys. Many of them were really good, but being a baseball/football guy entails a lot more than just playing.

I seriously think many of you are simply misdefining what a "football guy" is.

And no, playing a sport in college does not make you a guru of that sport.
I did not say the was a guru of the sport. I did state he has not been a great GM. And I have played competitive sports, just not professional. There are different classifications of what is a football guy, and they are all legit. so Jerry does have football knowledge and he played his position in college at a high level. He wasn't a walk on without any football knowledge, athleticism or experience. I think squabbling over this has run its course.

birdwells1

Reaction score
That is pretty weak. Jerry is a football guy. He played football at a college level. That doesn't make him a great GM.

From Wikepdia if that helps any or are you just the most resolute, absolute expert on "football guys". There is no way he is not a football guy. You can't erase his experience and history.
Jones attended the University of Arkansas, where he was a member of the Kappa Sigma fraternity.[10] He was co-captain of Arkansas' 1964 national championship football team. He was an offensive lineman for College Football Hall of Fame coach Frank Broyles and a teammate of college football and NFL coach Jimmy Johnson, whom Jones hired as his first head coach after purchasing the Cowboys.[11]
Other notable teammates were Glen Ray Hines, a consensus All-American offensive tackle; Ken Hatfield, who went on to coach several major programs including Arkansas; Jim Lindsey; future Outland Trophy winner Loyd Phillips; and College Football Hall of Fame linebacker Ronnie Caveness.[12] Several future head coaches were assistant coaches for Broyles on the Razorbacks' staff during Jones' college career in Fayetteville, including three more members of the College Football Hall of Fame: Hayden Fry (Southern Methodist University, North Texas State University, and the University of Iowa); Johnny Majors (Iowa State University, University of Pittsburgh, and the University of Tennessee), and Barry Switzer (University of Oklahoma, and later head coach of the Cowboys under Jones).[12]
Jones is one of a very small number of NFL owners who had a significant level of success as a football player.
BRETT VEACH - Chiefs GM

Do you see how he came up through the ranks, got it out the mud? He learned something valuable at every stop, put it in his bag and moved on. Jerry bought the team and named himself GM, it doesn't compare.

birdwells1

Reaction score
I did not say the was a guru of the sport. I did state he has not been a great GM. And I have played competitive sports, just not professional. There are different classifications of what is a football guy, and they are all legit. so Jerry does have football knowledge and he played his position in college at a high level. He wasn't a walk on without any football knowledge, athleticism or experience. I think squabbling over this has run its course.
Coaches and scouts are examples of "football guys" players aren't. You could be gifted athletically and be good at a sports but not have a passion for it, it's just a job to you but not in coaching and scouting.

kskboys

Reaction score
That is pretty weak. Jerry is a football guy. He played football at a college level. That doesn't make him a great GM.

From Wikepdia if that helps any or are you just the most resolute, absolute expert on "football guys". There is no way he is not a football guy. You can't erase his experience and history.
Jones attended the University of Arkansas, where he was a member of the Kappa Sigma fraternity.[10] He was co-captain of Arkansas' 1964 national championship football team. He was an offensive lineman for College Football Hall of Fame coach Frank Broyles and a teammate of college football and NFL coach Jimmy Johnson, whom Jones hired as his first head coach after purchasing the Cowboys.[11]
Other notable teammates were Glen Ray Hines, a consensus All-American offensive tackle; Ken Hatfield, who went on to coach several major programs including Arkansas; Jim Lindsey; future Outland Trophy winner Loyd Phillips; and College Football Hall of Fame linebacker Ronnie Caveness.[12] Several future head coaches were assistant coaches for Broyles on the Razorbacks' staff during Jones' college career in Fayetteville, including three more members of the College Football Hall of Fame: Hayden Fry (Southern Methodist University, North Texas State University, and the University of Iowa); Johnny Majors (Iowa State University, University of Pittsburgh, and the University of Tennessee), and Barry Switzer (University of Oklahoma, and later head coach of the Cowboys under Jones).[12]
Jones is one of a very small number of NFL owners who had a significant level of success as a football player.
It is very weak. Playing college football does not make you a football guy.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
They just keep ignoring all the proof we keep giving them.

If merely playing organized tackle football is what qualifies one as a "football guy" then anybody who played at any level would then be a "football guy" which is absurd.

A "football guy" is a guy who knows how to consistently build a championship contender - guys like Landry, Belichick, Walsh, Shula, Johnson. It isn't any a-hole who was born wealthy enough to buy a team and rule it like Napoleon.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IMO, here’s the fundamental misunderstanding in this whole discussion: When we use the term “football guy”, are we talking about someone who has played football or a person who understands how to manage a football organization that results in a championship? To me when I hear that “football guy” term, it’s the latter definition.

Jerry Jones played college football. He’s been around football his whole life. He has now been around the NFL for almost half of his life. In that sense, he is “a football guy”.

But…As the GM of a football team that MUST understand how to build a quality NFL roster under the requirements of a salary cap, hire an effective and empowered head coach to organize and motivate the roster and produce on field results that end in playoff success…for the last 3 decades, he does not stack up well as a “football guy”.

As a businessman, Jerry is unparalleled compared to other NFL owners. He’s the best. As a GM in the salary cap era, he’s mediocre at best.

LysleE

Reaction score
A “football guy” comes up through the ranks gaining experience in coaching and/or personnel management; working for multiple teams, or maybe one team and advancing within the organization and collecting vast experiences and refining skills.
Jerry played football on a national championship team; then made his billions and decided to buy a football team and install himself as de facto GM. He was smart enough to hire Jimmy who assembled the dominant Dallas teams in the early-to-mid 90’s. Since then with Jerry at the helm calling the shots, the Cowboys have done nothing and have dwelled in mediocrity for almost 30 years.
Jerry is a great owner, but that doesn’t make him a football guy in my opinion.

HungryLion

Reaction score
17 pages of people arguing about a subjective term like “football guy”

goodness gracious we need the season to start.