Does anyone seriously think Jerry is a Football Guy

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
film-sylvester-stallone-john-rambo-machine-gun-shooting-r8exxwecxyana9u2.gif
I am gonna have so much fun with this gif when the season is over.

giphy.gif

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Name the gms that have more Super Bowl wins than Jerry Jones. Name the gms that have 0 Super Bowl wins. Name the gms that have 1 Super Bowl win.
Ok…I can answer that….GMs that have won more SBs than Jerry:
  • Bill Belechick- the pats de-facto GM from 2000-23 won 6.
  • Richard Haley - GM of the Steelers won 4 from 1974-79.
  • Al Davis won 3 from 1976-83. Zero after that.
  • Jerry won 3 from 1992-95. Zero after that.
No GM in NFL history has ever won a SB 10, or 20 or 28 years after their last one. Why? Because the owner eventually fires them. Patriots owner Bob Kraft eventually cut ties with Bill B. Jerry will be the oldest GM in NFL history this October and he’s long been the only owner in NFL history who kept a GM who won 4 playoff games in 28 years.

birdwells1

Reaction score
I agree with this only in the sense that at this point how can he not be.

The question should be how good of a football man is Jerry.
My sister has been a surgical tech for over 30 years, that doesn't mean that she can perform surgery. Just because you've been around something for a long time doesn't make you qualified.

kskboys

Reaction score
My sister has been a surgical tech for over 30 years, that doesn't mean that she can perform surgery. Just because you've been around something for a long time doesn't make you qualified.
There are many many players who are not "football guys".

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Good lord. I absolutely detest having to defend Jerry about anything.
So let's start there.
Its pretty obvious you are majorly in your feelings here.
But yea most people posting on this board believe they are a football guy.
If they didn't, they would shut up and not post on a football forum.
Claiming to be a football fan is not claiming to be a football guy.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
You are defeating your own point. It is a hypothetical. There are people who actually respect Jerry Jones as a general manager. They can say they would hire him as one. How can it be proven they would not? Create an alternate reality and gift them an NFL franchise to test it out?

Simply put, you would not hire Jones. I would only hire Jones as a marketing VP. Many people, thousands or more, would not hire Jones to walk their dog.

Yet, there are those who would hire him as a GM. Why? Because they see him as a football guy.
Anyone saying that they would hire Jerry Jones as their GM because they think he's a "football guy" should be drug tested immediately!

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I think the ones claiming he is are simply not understanding the term.

I know when I first joined the main site many many years ago, I got my chain yanked for pointing out a player had stiff hips. Many were not aware that stiff hips is commonly used in scouting reports.

Same thing here, many are simply not aware of what the term indicates in football lingo.
Those scouts make up terms all the time, earlier this off-season heard a scout refer to a player as having "oily hips"....lol

TheCritic

Reaction score
Love the title of this thread, BTW!

I was trying to imagine any person alive that would ever argue that Jerry Jones is a football genius. LOL couldn't do it!

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
Howie Roseman Philly John Lynch SF Joe Schoen Giants Joe Douglas Jets these are guys who run football teams , scouting depts and yes you get results or you’re canned simple .

Jerry is the “ face “ of the Cowboys he goes to the senior bowl with cap & whistle it’s cute sure that’s it . Let’s not kid anyone who thinks differently , Jerry is the PR version . Has the radio show which I wouldn’t spend 2 mins listening to . McClay and the nuts & bolts make suggestions Jerry signs off makes the draft night phone call .

Want a “ football guy “ I give you Brad Holmes took over pure garbage from the previous regime , went out hired Dan Campbell drafted the likes of Sewell Hutchinson to control the lines , now the Lions are challenging SF and Lynch for NFC kingdom .
He was a football guy at one time but now he's a bubbling fool

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Usually when an owner gets as old as jerry, the fans are just waiting for him to die for a change in direction. When jerry dies, the same operation will continue with his son in charge. Tough break for cowboys fans.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Howie Roseman Philly John Lynch SF Joe Schoen Giants Joe Douglas Jets these are guys who run football teams , scouting depts and yes you get results or you’re canned simple .

Jerry is the “ face “ of the Cowboys he goes to the senior bowl with cap & whistle it’s cute sure that’s it . Let’s not kid anyone who thinks differently , Jerry is the PR version . Has the radio show which I wouldn’t spend 2 mins listening to . McClay and the nuts & bolts make suggestions Jerry signs off makes the draft night phone call .

Want a “ football guy “ I give you Brad Holmes took over pure garbage from the previous regime , went out hired Dan Campbell drafted the likes of Sewell Hutchinson to control the lines , now the Lions are challenging SF and Lynch for NFC kingdom .
Jerry Jones is a Master Marketer/Businessman who is putting on appearances as a "Football Guy". It's what the job of being the face of the Empire requires. No More, no Less.

cowboyed

Reaction score
When I titled the thread “ football guy “ I assumed people wouldn’t go back 60 yrs to Frank Broyles . Football guy as in GM as in your fired for the lack of playoff success .
That is pretty weak. Jerry is a football guy. He played football at a college level. That doesn't make him a great GM.

From Wikepdia if that helps any or are you just the most resolute, absolute expert on "football guys". There is no way he is not a football guy. You can't erase his experience and history.
Jones attended the University of Arkansas, where he was a member of the Kappa Sigma fraternity.[10] He was co-captain of Arkansas' 1964 national championship football team. He was an offensive lineman for College Football Hall of Fame coach Frank Broyles and a teammate of college football and NFL coach Jimmy Johnson, whom Jones hired as his first head coach after purchasing the Cowboys.[11]
Other notable teammates were Glen Ray Hines, a consensus All-American offensive tackle; Ken Hatfield, who went on to coach several major programs including Arkansas; Jim Lindsey; future Outland Trophy winner Loyd Phillips; and College Football Hall of Fame linebacker Ronnie Caveness.[12] Several future head coaches were assistant coaches for Broyles on the Razorbacks' staff during Jones' college career in Fayetteville, including three more members of the College Football Hall of Fame: Hayden Fry (Southern Methodist University, North Texas State University, and the University of Iowa); Johnny Majors (Iowa State University, University of Pittsburgh, and the University of Tennessee), and Barry Switzer (University of Oklahoma, and later head coach of the Cowboys under Jones).[12]
Jones is one of a very small number of NFL owners who had a significant level of success as a football player.