Does anyone seriously think Jerry is a Football Guy

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
You are defeating your own point. It is a hypothetical. There are people who actually respect Jerry Jones as a general manager. They can say they would hire him as one. How can it be proven they would not? Create an alternate reality and gift them an NFL franchise to test it out?

Simply put, you would not hire Jones. I would only hire Jones as a marketing VP. Many people, thousands or more, would not hire Jones to walk their dog.

Yet, there are those who would hire him as a GM. Why? Because they see him as a football guy.
I'm not defeating my point at all - nobody is hiring Jerry Jones to GM their team regardless of so called "respect", thus he isn't a "football guy".

Name just one owner not named Jerry Jones that would hire Jerry Jones to GM their franchise. Just one. That is how you would defeat my point.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Who claimed they are a football guy on this forum? Back up your BS with receipts.

Does it hurt your feelings that other people actually want results? Are we big meanies for pointing out that it has been 28 years of failure?

Jerry isn't a football guy at all. You have to be a logical contrarian to claim he is a football guy.
Good lord. I absolutely detest having to defend Jerry about anything.
So let's start there.
Its pretty obvious you are majorly in your feelings here.
But yea most people posting on this board believe they are a football guy.
If they didn't, they would shut up and not post on a football forum.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not defeating my point at all - nobody is hiring Jerry Jones to GM their team regardless of so called "respect", thus he isn't a "football guy".

Name just one owner not named Jerry Jones that would hire Jerry Jones to GM their franchise. Just one. That is how you would defeat my point.
Let me explain your argument to you. First, you ask:

Here's the end of this debate - Every one of you trying to claim Jerry is a football guy would NEVER hire Jerry to GM your team if you acquired an NFL franchise. Not a single one of you. Not in a million years. Case closed.
You posed your original question to COMPLETE STRANGERS on the internet. You are not conversing with NFL OWNERS.

So, I point out to you that COMPLETE STRANGERS, who type supportive messages of Jerry Jones as a GM, will likely state they would hire him. How do you digest that counterpoint? Here was your response (again):

Dude. I cannot name any owner, of any NFL franchise, of any professional sports franchise, on any continent, who would hire Jones to manage their sports team. Do you now see where your logic has failed?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Your point is dumb as dirt because plenty of football guys are not general managers.
This entire argument is stupid.

Jerry Jones is NOT a good general manager.
Was John Madden not a football guy?? Never a General Manager.
Troy Aikman not a football guy??
Never been a coach or GM.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Football guy or not Jerry has done a really solid job of adding talent to this team. Whether that is by his doing or just that he has quality people advising him to make decisions doesnt really matter to me.

My issue with Jerry is playing Owner/GM at the same time. A good GM is going to push their owner for as many resources, including financial ones, as possible to improve their roster. A good owner is going to push back on that GM to win with as few resources as possible to free up money in other areas. With the current organizational structure there is no back and forth dialog to find the median and the numbers show that it has resulted in an organization that doesnt like to spend on its roster/coaches.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Not sure of what your definition of a “Football Guy” is, but Jerry was co-captain of Arkansas 1964 National Championship game as an offensive lineman. Throughout his time in the NFL he’s learned from so many of the greats that he’s certainly learned even more. So IMO, he’s a football guy more than most here. His only problem is he’s convinced his way is the right way.
He's a football guy, but he has pretty much proven he lacks the tools and strategy to build a team that can contend for the Superbowl in the modern era. He's good at building good teams, but has struggled to put together a great team in the salary cap era.

The Cowboys are run pretty much unlike any other team in the league. There really isn't another with this level of family involvement in the day to day operations of the front office.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's a football guy, but he has pretty much proven he lacks the tools and strategy to build a team that can contend for the Superbowl in the modern era. He's good at building good teams, but has struggled to put together a great team in the salary cap era.

The Cowboys are run pretty much unlike any other team in the league. There really isn't another with this level of family involvement in the day to day operations of the front office.
I would add Jerry Jones is not a leader, who has emphasized championship success at all costs during the post-Jimmy Johnson era--which lingered on enough to encompass Barry Switzer's first two seasons. It is an intangible that has interwoven itself into the fabric of the team for decades.

Head coaches, like Mike McCarthy, have tried to counter it by installing their culture corrective philosophies. All have failed. Every 'contending' team has lacked any definitive degree of team grit to power through the playoffs. That detrimental trait must change for the team to succeed when it matters most.

rambo2

Reaction score

Name the gms that have more Super Bowl wins than Jerry Jones. Name the gms that have 0 Super Bowl wins. Name the gms that have 1 Super Bowl win.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That's what you guys pull out of your butt.
bootlicker-bootlickers.gif