Does Anyone Still Care About the Olympics?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Good analysis.

Ireland wont make the next WC - havent won in 11 games. Lost to Luxembourg in qualifiers, which is embarrassing. The national federation is in turmoil due to a major financial scandal. This is impacting the sport at every level. Current manager is a cheap option - previously coached a semi-pro team. Cant afford anyone else. Some good young players coming through, but I fear they may be wasted as it will take years to recover from the scandal.

That is, I didn't know about the financial scandal though. That is a shame. Ireland had been looking so promising of late. Oh well. So, I suspect Ireland and the US will be watching the next WC from the couch. In that case, I'd take Denmark over Holland then.

Last edited:

csirl

Reaction score
That is, I didn't know about the financial scandal though. That is a shame. Ireland had been looking so promising of late. Oh well. So, I suspect Ireland and the US will be watching the next WC from the couch. In that case, I'd take Denmark over Holland then.

There's a very good book called "Champagne Football" about it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
There's a very good book called "Champagne Football" about it.

I will have a look. That would certainly explain why Ireland has been underwhelming lately. Always close, but never in the WC. Yet, they do produce enough talent that they SHOULD make the WC more than they do.