Does anyone still subscribe to magazines?

rags747

Reaction score
Magazines for me were fantastic. Used to get the financial mags Forbes, Fortune, Money and then the Auto mags Car&Driver, MotorTrend, Road&Track, Automobile and then the Dallas Cowboys weekly, Playboy for a while as well. Used to go on family vacation and be so psyched when I came home to review the mail and all of the new magazines! During Draft season would get Mel Kiper and 5-6 draft magazines at the local magazine shop.

Today I have ZERO subscriptions. Quite the change…

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Magazines for me were fantastic. Used to get the financial mags Forbes, Fortune, Money and then the Auto mags Car&Driver, MotorTrend, Road&Track, Automobile and then the Dallas Cowboys weekly, Playboy for a while as well. Used to go on family vacation and be so psyched when I came home to review the mail and all of the new magazines! During Draft season would get Mel Kiper and 5-6 draft magazines at the local magazine shop.

Today I have ZERO subscriptions. Quite the change…
Times change. Even starting as a kid, I would always look forward to those season preview magazines for all the sports. Street & Smith, Sporting News, etc... always anxious to see where they predicted my team to finish. Meant a little more in those days when we didn't have a blog for every opinion online.

Not too long ago, one of my frequent flier cards offered me some free magazine subscriptions on my leftover miles. I subscribed to quite a few, but found I don't even read them anymore. Like Dante said, bathroom reading material at best now.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Times change. Even starting as a kid, I would always look forward to those season preview magazines for all the sports. Street & Smith, Sporting News, etc... always anxious to see where they predicted my team to finish. Meant a little more in those days when we didn't have a blog for every opinion online.

Not too long ago, one of my frequent flier cards offered me some free magazine subscriptions on my leftover miles. I subscribed to quite a few, but found I don't even read them anymore. Like Dante said, bathroom reading material at best now.
It's been a while since I've seen a mag at a doctor's office...Of course, that's probably due, at least in part, to the pandemic.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
On a similar topic, last week checked the mail and the postman accidentally left a catalog, it was a 2" thick interior design catalog. I sat there staring at it like it was some kind of relic, couldn't remember the last time I saw a catalog in the mail. I remember getting those thick Christmas catalogs when I was a kid and practically wearing out the pages looking at all the toys, circling those special ones I really wanted Santa to bring. Those catalogs were definitely the talk around the neighborhood's kids when they finally showed up.

Then getting a little older and get those Crutchfield catalogs and Bass Pro Shops catalogs, man I loved getting catalogs. Old school browsing before the internet, between magazines and catalogs, that's how we used to"surf the web"........lol

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Once Playboy went nudeless, I gave up all my subscriptions. I knew it was over.
I think Playboy has gone back to nudes.
I recently had been subscribed to Analog Science Fiction, Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine, and Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine. However, I haven't read all the stories so I stopped. I still have them. I read a short story from them sometimes. Maybe I'll re-subscribe when I get low on stories.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
On a similar topic, last week checked the mail and the postman accidentally left a catalog, it was a 2" thick interior design catalog. I sat there staring at it like it was some kind of relic, couldn't remember the last time I saw a catalog in the mail. I remember getting those thick Christmas catalogs when I was a kid and practically wearing out the pages looking at all the toys, circling those special ones I really wanted Santa to bring. Those catalogs were definitely the talk around the neighborhood's kids when they finally showed up.

Then getting a little older and get those Crutchfield catalogs and Bass Pro Shops catalogs, man I loved getting catalogs. Old school browsing before the internet, between magazines and catalogs, that's how we used to"surf the web"........lol
I still get 3 different phone books, all for surrounding areas. They go straight to recycling.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think Playboy has gone back to nudes.
I recently had been subscribed to Analog Science Fiction, Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine, and Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine. However, I haven't read all the stories so I stopped. I still have them. I read a short story from them sometimes. Maybe I'll re-subscribe when I get low on stories.
I think I heard something about that, but the damage is done, as far as I'm concerned. No Hef, no Playboy.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I think I heard something about that, but the damage is done, as far as I'm concerned. No Hef, no Playboy.
The Internet made times tough for Playboy. Playboy used to be one of the few resources where a young guy could see nudies. Nowadays, finding nudies on the Internet is as easy as finding sushi in Japan. Playboy has to compete with all that, and so it will have to have exceptional photography for attracting an audience. They've even got software now that will take a photo of a clothed woman and it will virtually take all her clothes off and make a new image from that, not that I recommend that. That seems kind of slimy to me. But the point is, it used to be tough to find nude photos, but today it's ridiculously easy.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
The Internet made times tough for Playboy. Playboy used to be one of the few resources where a young guy could see nudies. Nowadays, finding nudies on the Internet is as easy as finding sushi in Japan. Playboy has to compete with all that, and so it will have to have exceptional photography for attracting an audience. They've even got software now that will take a photo of a clothed woman and it will virtually take all her clothes off and make a new image from that, not that I recommend that. That seems kind of slimy to me. But the point is, it used to be tough to find nude photos, but today it's ridiculously easy.
Nowadays you find them everywhere online, on TV, and offline just check what they wear these days

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Nowadays you find them everywhere online, on TV, and offline just check what they wear these days
I know. Nowadays a lot of bathing suits basically show a person's behind. I was really surprised when I recently watched some women's diving competitions. They wore one-piece bathing suits that showed almost all of the woman's derriere. In previous decades, they didn't do that. I'm surprised it's allowed, but they didn't put me in charge of the wardrobes of women athletes. I would have chosen something that at least covers their bo-hineys.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Oh...I know! Err, what I mean is, I've heard that about the internet!

Seriously though, Playboy photos were always much better than what you find on the net. They were artistically done, by an actual photographer who knew what he was doing. Also, it may sound cliche, but the articles, reviews, etc., were second to none. That may have continued to be the case after they changed the format, but the whole change seemed to either be pandering to the whims of the repressed, or the new boss (Hef's daughter?) doing things the way they preferred. Whatever the case, it cheapened the product.