Does anyone think Dak is better than Romo was?

Status
Not open for further replies.

khiladi

Reaction score
So what are you saying?

Dak sucks vs Cover 2 but is elite versus the blitz, but Romo sucked versus the blitz but was elite versus Cover 2?

I actually was editing my post, when you responded:

Teams NEVER defender Romo like that. When he came into the Eagles game, without Zeke, the Eagles basically dropped their defenders back in zone coverage and Romo faced deep cover 2 zones regularly, which Dak looks awful against. When teams zone blitzed Romo, like the Football Team, they basically had free runs to Romo all day long, because guys like Gurode were not smart. In 2012, they were 31st in the league in rushing, when Garrett started to finally get play calling revoked, so teams had no threat of a rushing attack and could just pin back full steam against Romo.

And having a good ranking against a blitz tells us nothing about how ‘elite’ a QB is, because blitzing doesn’t mean you brought pressure. Kirk Cousins is one of the best QBs tradiuknall againsf the blitz, Heineken during their 4 game win streak was the best QB against the blitz in terms of rating and so on.

Blitzes leave your backfield open to exploitation, but you willing to gamble for PRESSURE. And if you aren’t getting pressure like defenders weren’t against the line Dak played under, then you naturally are going to be better against the blitz than against 4 rushers.

khiladi

Reaction score
The issue of Romo is when he FINALLY had the team and Garrett of of the way, after years of carrying that franchise and keeping them relevant, while getting pummeled, they went with the mediocre QB in Dak.

That’s the issue of Romo versus Dak…. One was back-stabbed for a mediocre system QB that needs everything tailored to his fragile psyche..

MajesticRey

Reaction score
I actually was editing my post, when you responded:

And having a good ranking against a blitz tells us nothing about how ‘elite’ a QB is, because blitzing doesn’t mean you brought pressure. Kirk Cousins is one of the best QBs tradiuknall againsf the blitz, Heineken during their 4 game win streak was the best QB against the blitz in terms of rating and so on.

Blitzes leave your backfield open to exploitation, but you willing to gamble for PRESSURE. And if you aren’t getting pressure like defenders weren’t against the line Dak played under, then you naturally are going to be better against the blitz than against 4 rushers.

But his line hasn’t been great since Frederick retired. Hasn’t he still been really good versus the blitz?

I do see that Dak struggles when his receivers aren’t “completely” wide open, though.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
The issue of Romo is when he FINALLY had the team and Garrett of of the way, after years of carrying that franchise and keeping them relevant, while getting pummeled, they went with the mediocre QB in Dak.

That’s the issue of Romo versus Dak…. One was back-stabbed for a mediocre system QB that needs everything tailored to his fragile psyche..

I have been saying this for 6 years...there is no debate as to whether Romo was a better QB in 2016 than Dak (for god sakes Dak was a rookie, there is no comparison between the two of them) Now If you are trying to win a SB you play your best players when they are healthy enough to play...the Cowboys didn't do that and showed alot of fans that winning wasn't the most important thing, now i agree that Dak is unfairly getting some blame for that idiotic move by the team but it still doesn't change the fact that he is an average QB

khiladi

Reaction score
But his line hasn’t been great since Frederick retired. Hasn’t he still been really good versus the blitz?

I do see that Dak struggles when his receivers aren’t “completely” wide open, though.

Yes it has…. It’s been more than adequate, better than plenty of OL in the league. Burrow got sacked over 50 times this year.

And again, Frederick retired in 2019, which would have been the end of Romo’s contract. He played 16 games. So if you go by 2014, you’d get Romo with these guys in 2016, 2017, 2018 outside Frederick, and 2019, though Romo playing that many years was highly unlikely. The point though is the SB window is short and was stupid to compromise that for an experiment at QB, especially when Romo is light years better than Dak when he came back in practice and the standard excuse was Dak doesn’t ‘practice well’ but he shows up on game day.

Plus, you wouldn’t need to get rid of Dez and TWill whom Romo had no problems finding that early and give up draft picks for Cooper and could have spent them on the trenches and defense. A lot of personnel decisions were made to give Dak countless weapons.

And again, mediocre QBs are often up there in terms of QB rating against the blitz, because blitz doesn’t equate to pressure. Quinn for example, often cane with the blitz against Hurts, while having his DBs playing right up on the WRs, while he dropped into cover 2 shell and had guys like Diggs playing way off their WRs when we played Herbert and the Chargers…

Cmac

Reaction score
Oh it's effen on NOW. This guy here is the reason people are FORCED to defend their OWN QB. HOW PATHETIC!

His 248 passing touchdowns are the ninth-most in NFL history among quarterbacks who played their entire career with one team.

Romo ranks third in quarterback wins in Cowboys history with 78, trailing Troy Aikman (94) and Roger Staubach (85).

Romo has a career passer rating of 97.1, which is the fourth-best in NFL history (minimum 1,000 pass attempts), trailing only Aaron Rodgers (104.1), Russell Wilson (99.6) and Tom Brady (97.2).

From 2006-14, Romo led 27 game-winning drives in the fourth quarter and overtime. That is the most in the NFL over that span, one more than Peyton Manning and Matt Ryan.

1. A career winning percentage of 69 percent puts him approximately 11 wins per regular season—good enough for a playoff every year in the NFC.

The winning percentage of 69 also puts Tony Romo ahead of legends like John Elway, Dan Marino, Johnny Unitas, Steve Young and Kurt Warner. It is also better than current stars Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and better than any quarterback to have begun his career since Romo took over in Dallas.
With a career completion percentage of 64, Tony Romo currently ranks seventh all time in that category.

1. With 8.1 yards per attempt, Tony Romo currently ranks fourth all time.

By comparison, “gun-slinging” quarterbacks like Brett Favre and John Elway, who both average 7.1 yards per attempt over their careers, are a full yard per attempt behind Romo

With only 3.0 percent of his passes being intercepted, Romo is tied with first ballot Hall of Famers Dan Marino and Troy Aikman—neither of whom would be criticized for throwing “too many interceptions.”

1. That number is also better than John Elway, Kurt Warner, Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Warren Moon, Jim Kelly, and Johnny Unitas—just to name a few.
Better yet is Romo’s touchdown percentage. With an unbelievable 5.7 percent of his passes going for touchdowns, Tony Romo is the best of any active quarterback in that category.

1. Romo’s current career passer rating stands at an impressive 95.4. This number puts him fifth all time and better than every Hall of Fame quarterback in league history other than Steve Young’s 96.8.

By comparison, here are some of the quarterback ratings of a few of the league’s most legendary quarterbacks:

Tom Brady—93.5

Troy Aikman—81.6

Warren Moon—80.9

John Elway—79.9

Johnny Unitas—78.2

Terry Bradshaw—70.9
You alright? I didn't mean to touch on such a sensitive issue. I get it. I love TRomo too. Come off the ledge now. Come on down. We can talk about this.
1*QiwtN9a0Iotv129_1TxTqQ.jpeg

Cmac

Reaction score
I also remember that...what i also remember is he is the guy who drove us 80 yards to get us there in the 1st place....no 3 and outs from this guy with the game on the line
Then I'm glad Dak doesn't hold for Z's FGs.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score

Romo shouldn't have been holding for them either...no starting QB in the NFL does..when Romo became the starter that 2006 season Parcells should have relieved him of that duty

Cmac

Reaction score
Romo shouldn't have been holding for them either...no starting QB in the NFL does..when Romo became the starter that 2006 season Parcells should have relieved him of that duty
Agree.....but we know what happened right? Doesn't dismiss it.

nobody

Reaction score
Two very different quarterbacks. Better hall. Prescott doesn’t Choke. Romo saw the field better. I’ll take Prescott any day over Romo

Dak choked yesterday.

That being said, it was time to move on from Romo.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Me too!

Pure insanity to have a starting QB playing special teams, for so many reasons.

As a QB, Romo did his job that day by driving the team down for the game-winning points on the road. Possibly even heroic with a different holder (or ball)...lol.

But then he also, as a non-QB, played special teams....unrelated to his QB play.
The rest was painful Cowboy history

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You alright? I didn't mean to touch on such a sensitive issue. I get it. I love TRomo too. Come off the ledge now. Come on down. We can talk about this.

I'm fine.

So called fans that search out the worst moment of our players and posting all big and bad? Probably could use some help. You're still broken about it.

DFWJC

Reaction score
No one can, with a straight face....tell me someone else couldn't have held once Romo took the starting job.
No team has used their starting QB to hold since then, if that gives you your answer.

The league also changed the rules on game balls after that.
Visiting teams get to have their own, broken in, footballs for special teams vs getting a bright shiny new, and slippery, ball forced on you by the home team.

never again after that....but too late for us.

btw., Romo never made an excuse about either of those things. He owned it

Cmac

Reaction score
I'm fine.

So called fans that search out the worst moment of our players and posting all big and bad? Probably could use some help. You're still broken about it.
Huh? I'm simply calling it for what it is. Dak and TRomo have the same legacy going......big numbers, but when the game is big.......come up small. They have that in common, already.

As for searching the worst moment of our players.......the Board ain't got no problems to single out the likes of Zeke, or former players like Jaylon Smith, Dez, T.O. or similar, so I ain't enamored over the similar ringless players like a Romo, Witten or SLee. Just fair. Dak stunk yesterday just like quite a few on the team, and coaches.

Now what? Twist this into I'm defending Zeke?

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
The year we lost to the giants. Romo had rob petiti at tackle. No run game. He could read a defense. No comparison in my opinion. Give romo daks talent.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Where did he choke. He was actually better than Garoppolo. He had to make up over 100 yards and penalties. On offense and defense. Just because you might not appreciate the quarterback. Look at the entire picture if you can
Choking can also be hesitating and holding onto the ball too long because your unsure and lacking confidence. Those windows are tighter and the game is faster in the playoffs and Dak couldn't deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.