Does Taking Jordan Love At 17 Make Sense If No Dak Deal Is Made By Draft Day

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Technically he’s not a cowboy until he signs it. Seems unprecedented for a QB to skip a season, but it’s only unprecedented until it happens. Before Le’Veon no one believed a franchise player would ever do that. It’s only a matter of time before another does
Dak would lose a number of endorsements if he did not play in 2020 and at this point endorsements is were the bulk of his income is coming from.

chicago JK

Reaction score
I don’t think the cowboys draft a QB at 17 but they better do their due diligence if a guy like Eason makes it to our pick in the third round. He defiantly has a pro arm but he just hasn’t played much college and that scares me.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Not a bash Dak thread. But if negotiations don’t go as planned. Isn’t it smart for organization to prepare for the inevitable. Hold outs and bad feelings. MM doesn’t have any connections with Dak. He might want a fresh start.
:facepalm: Dak is tagged & will be the franchuse quarterback for years to come! One of the reasons MM took the job is because of Dak!

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Dak would lose a number of endorsements if he did not play in 2020 and at this point endorsements is were the bulk of his income is coming from.

Yeah i dont think he'd do it, but my point was hes not actually a cowboy right now

vnick

Reaction score
I don't know that I would take a QB in the first outside the top three. However, I wouldn't mind taking one in the third or fourth, even if we get Dak signed. Getting someone like Fromm in the fourth would make a nice developmental prospect and a guy who I think could step in and play.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
My point is you might as well say he is a Cowboy right now

I cant walk to my girlfriend's house right now without getting stopped by police and potentially taken away in cuffs (we're on bigtime quarantine)

at the end of the 2019 season if you would have asked me what was more likely, Dak getting so emotionally depleted by bickering with Jerry over a few million dollars that he's willing to sit out 2020 if they don't trade him, or I'd be arrested for going outside, Id say the latter is ridiculous and impossible so itd be Dak.

Yet here we are. Implausible, but stranger things have happened.

KDM256

Reaction score
Jordan Love doesn't move the needle for me. Haven't heard of this kid since he became eligible for the draft and I love college football.

It'll be one thing if we were talking about an "under the radar" Cornerback, WR or linebacker but its definitely a buyer's beware when it comes to the quarterback position. I could be wrong on this situation but it feels like EJ Manuel 2.0 taking this kid inthe first round.

RS12

Reaction score
I am all for moving on from Dak at the money he wants. But you would be trading one inaccurate QB for another. Now if you could get Tua and guarantee his health, that is another story.

Sandyf

Reaction score
IMO, it would be a wasted pick to take Love at 17 or 51 for that matter. We need other positions and really taking the BPA at 17 is far more important regardless of the position and Love will definitely not be the BPA at 17. If Love is there at 17 and there isn't someone they think is worthy of the pick then my bet would be that a number of teams will call to come up and get Love which would be a far better option.

If Dallas can't get a contract with Dak done (unlikely as it is, it is also possible) then using him on the franchise this year and looking to the draft of a QB next year would appear to be a great option especially with the prospect of the kid from Clemson and kid from Texas Tech coming out.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Not a bash Dak thread. But if negotiations don’t go as planned. Isn’t it smart for organization to prepare for the inevitable. Hold outs and bad feelings. MM doesn’t have any connections with Dak. He might want a fresh start.

With all the defensive needs to use the Cowboys 1st round pick on a quarterback when the Cowboys have the highest ranked free agent this year either locked on a franchise tag or a new contract before training camp opens is foolishness. People took pre-free agency chest pounding that if tag would hurt Prescott's feelings was just a well used ploy to get the Cowboys to except the contract they want. Prescott has since said that the contract is just the business side of the game. Also if getting tagged is such a blow that brings such hard feelings then just think what they were for Lawrence who got tagged 2 years in a row and then after getting his new contract said how happy he was. AS far as McCarthy is concerned he's already said that he is looking forward to working with Prescott and that he is the QB of the future. You may have claimed this is not a bash Prescott thread but it's obvious you're not a Prescott fan and another thing is for sure it will become another Prescott bashing thread. Any thread started with either Prescott's name or replacing Prescott or will the Cowboys get him signed to a new contract turns into a Prescott bashing thread.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I cant walk to my girlfriend's house right now without getting stopped by police and potentially taken away in cuffs (we're on bigtime quarantine)

at the end of the 2019 season if you would have asked me what was more likely, Dak getting so emotionally depleted by bickering with Jerry over a few million dollars that he's willing to sit out 2020 if they don't trade him, or I'd be arrested for going outside, Id say the latter is ridiculous and impossible so itd be Dak.

Yet here we are. Implausible, but stranger things have happened.
There was no point made if you were trying to make one.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
It makes sense if you've found a trade partner for Dak.

Keeping dak and drafting love is a bad idea for all parties. If you draft a qb high it has to be because you are prepared to move on from Dak. You cant use a 1st round pick on an insurance policy at qb, not with the 17th pick, and not with the current state of the cowboys. I really think they need to hit in the draft this year to truly contend for a superbowl. Just too many holes at this moment.

What you said about using the 1st rnd pick on a QB with all the other needs and having both QB's on the roster is right. The Cowboys, Jerry, Stephen, McCarthy and Nussmieir have all said that Prescott is their franchise QB of the future so I think the chances that the Cowboys even for a split second have or will think about trading him is less than zero and after what the four of them have already said about Prescott and that every team knowing this the chances are less than zero that any team would even inquire about a trade for Prescott. The only ones that even think there's a possibility of a trade done are the ones that don't want Prescott here in the first place.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
If the organization feels he has the strong potential to be a starter in the league then my opinion is you stock pile quarterbacks if only to trade them later for high pics even if Dak is signed

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Dak and the team have now been working on a new deal for nearly one year and don’t seem any closer to a resolution. At a certain point, I’d concede that Dak will be moving on after a couple years on the tag. If that’s the case, we need to find his replacement now.