Does Taking Jordan Love At 17 Make Sense If No Dak Deal Is Made By Draft Day

jjktkk

Reaction score
Not a bash Dak thread. But if negotiations don’t go as planned. Isn’t it smart for organization to prepare for the inevitable. Hold outs and bad feelings. MM doesn’t have any connections with Dak. He might want a fresh start.
Not unless your scouts, etc. grade Love out at 17. And based on some of the draft prognosticators I've read, 17 seems to be too high for Love. Seems like that would be a serious reach imo.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Yeah I expect someone to jump in front of us to get him. I expect Burrow, Tua, Love and Herbert to be top 15 picks.

Of the various category for the top 7 QB's in this draft there are categories that Love is ranked 6th or7th, Decision Masking -7th, Passing Under Pressure - 7th, Accuracy(short/intermediate) - 6th If there is a team that would jump ahead of the Cowboys for him it would be a team that has a QB far far worse than Prescott. Since every team knows how the Cowboys feel about Prescott and who might be interested in Love and he is still on the board a pick ahead of the Cowboys, they will just wait and take him after the Cowbiys pick because they won't be drafting him or any other QB in the first round.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...-qbs-skills-from-decision-making-to-accuracy/

Last edited:

fansince68

Reaction score
McCarthy has said he likes Dak and looks forward to coaching him. Might just be lip service. Who knows.

Regardless, no the Cowboys shouldn't take Love at 17. For starters, that's far to high for him.
Big quandary, 35 million is to high for Dak.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Drafting a QB because it represents great value is not the Cowboys way. We will reach at a position of need because we need to "win now" with this great collection of "talent". No way Jerruh has an eye for the future. He is in "win now" mode more than ever. The Patriots had Tom freaking Brady and they would draft a QB all the time. We are all in on Jerruhs boy and will make him the highest paid player ever all thanks to an 8-8 season. Madness.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Technically he’s not a cowboy until he signs it. Seems unprecedented for a QB to skip a season, but it’s only unprecedented until it happens. Before Le’Veon no one believed a franchise player would ever do that. It’s only a matter of time before another does

First off Bell had squabbles with the steelers before he was tagged. The season before he had become a somewhat looker room problem. He just wanted out of Pittsburgh. Prescott did some pre-free agency posturing saying his feelings would be hurt if the Cowboys tag him in hopes the Cowboys sign him to what his agent asked for. Prescott as since said that he understands there is a business side to the game. Prescott grew up a Cowboys fan and his dream was to play for the Cowboys so just about the only ones that believe that Prescott would sit out the season are Prescott haters because that's what they are hoping for.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind looking at Cole McDonald in 3rd or 4th as a developmental QB for MM.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
If we end up with one of those the Cowboys will have a great future:

Justin Herbert
Jacob Eason
Jake Luton
Riley Neal
Case Cookus

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Bell still got paid

tenor.gif
Did he lose money in fines?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
If available yes. While I like Dak this contract negotiation has turned silly. I would welcome a take it or leave it approach. Ultimately you can thank Jerry for this mess. Focusing on Zeke last year was beyond stupid. Should have matched the Goff contract and been done. Now you have this and an overpaid man baby at a position that clearly begins to burn out by the 5th season.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Dak has been franchised. Deal or no deal he is a Cowboy in 2020
You do know until Dak sings the tag it can be rescinded? Seems some,of,you don't know these things so just wanted to let you know he might not necessarily be a Cowboy unless he's signed the tag and I didn't hear about it.

Rayman70

Reaction score
If available yes. While I like Dak this contract negotiation has turned silly. I would welcome a take it or leave it approach. Ultimately you can thank Jerry for this mess. Focusing on Zeke last year was beyond stupid. Should have matched the Goff contract and been done. Now you have this and an overpaid man baby at a position that clearly begins to burn out by the 5th season.
Fromm as a interesting Camp guy in round 4. He reminds me of Fitzpatrick. Has some MAGIC to him..nothing really great, but really solid.

Rayman70

Reaction score
If we end up with one of those the Cowboys will have a great future:

Justin Herbert
Jacob Eason
Jake Luton
Riley Neal
Case Cookus
the first 2, YES...the others...ahhh I dunno. Watch out for Fromm and Hurts in the mid rounds. MM is known for grabbing a guy while he was in GB.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Not a bash Dak thread. But if negotiations don’t go as planned. Isn’t it smart for organization to prepare for the inevitable. Hold outs and bad feelings. MM doesn’t have any connections with Dak. He might want a fresh start.
If MM is all in on that transition than what choice do I have,, I already bought in all in with MM or who ever replaced the moron,, so what the H do I know.
I just know that I have no other choice at this point to buy in.. if Im going to somehow be some sort of rational minded Cowboy Fan.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
You do know until Dak sings the tag it can be rescinded? Seems some,of,you don't know these things so just wanted to let you know he might not necessarily be a Cowboy unless he's signed the tag and I didn't hear about it.
Cowboys-new-Mike-McCarthy-plans-to-build-around-Dak-Prescott.jpg