CFZ Does the Diggs Injury Necessitate a Big Move?

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
Let me preface this thread with this: Let us all wish Diggs a speedy recovery and return to the field. I am sure he is absolutely devastated at the realization he will not get to play in what is shaping up to be a special Cowboys season.

With Diggs out for the season, Dallas is down an All-Pro cornerback on what is likely the league's best defensive unit. Combined with Gilmore, Dallas had a pair of lockdown DBs that made it very difficult for opposing offenses to throw. Without #7, you go from a CB duo that most of the league would envy to just good with Gilmore + Bland + Lewis.

To win anything in this league, you have to good but luck is a major factor. Nearly every team that makes the Superbowl does so on the back of good injury luck. The Cowboys appear to be as good as anyone right now and the NFC is totally wide open outside of SF, Philly, and Dallas. This is likely the best chance that Dallas has had at making to the NFCCG or further in a very long time. Do you jump on this window at the expense of future draft capital, or hope that the roster you have built is deep enough to sustain the loss of one of the NFL's best cornerbacks in Week 2?

My question is this:

Staying put and observing the performance of the defense without Diggs against the Cardinals and Patriots may be the wisest move, but what happens if teams start being able to move the ball on you in the passing game?

If you are the Cowboys front office, does this injury make you think that another big time addition via a trade may be necessary to get you past Philly and SF?
Stay put, next man up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CowboyDAK

Reaction score
I see Scott stepping up. Not to sound like a dick but of course this happens after we sign him to a major contract. Hopefully comes back 100%.

visionary

Reaction score
Let me preface this thread with this: Let us all wish Diggs a speedy recovery and return to the field. I am sure he is absolutely devastated at the realization he will not get to play in what is shaping up to be a special Cowboys season.

With Diggs out for the season, Dallas is down an All-Pro cornerback on what is likely the league's best defensive unit. Combined with Gilmore, Dallas had a pair of lockdown DBs that made it very difficult for opposing offenses to throw. Without #7, you go from a CB duo that most of the league would envy to just good with Gilmore + Bland + Lewis.

To win anything in this league, you have to good but luck is a major factor. Nearly every team that makes the Superbowl does so on the back of good injury luck. The Cowboys appear to be as good as anyone right now and the NFC is totally wide open outside of SF, Philly, and Dallas. This is likely the best chance that Dallas has had at making to the NFCCG or further in a very long time. Do you jump on this window at the expense of future draft capital, or hope that the roster you have built is deep enough to sustain the loss of one of the NFL's best cornerbacks in Week 2?

My question is this:

Staying put and observing the performance of the defense without Diggs against the Cardinals and Patriots may be the wisest move, but what happens if teams start being able to move the ball on you in the passing game?

If you are the Cowboys front office, does this injury make you think that another big time addition via a trade may be necessary to get you past Philly and SF?
Yeah, lets trade the first for next 2 years for another over rated CB

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
No, not a big move for now. But I'm definitely putting CB at the top of my draft list for 2024 now just in case

phildadon86

Reaction score
I don't see any corners out there that are much better than our current top 3 (Gilmore, Lewis, and Bland) that we would be able to trade for. It's a thought but right now I would see how they do against our next two opponents before doing anything major. This defense is mostly about the front 7 anyway.
Our next 2 opponents unfortunately aren’t a good litmus test

starfan1

Reaction score
I believe in the comraderie of this squad.This injury as unfortunate as it is will bring the team even closer. win it for Trevon attitude. Now if something were to happent to #11 then Id worry

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
There are a handful of pending UFAs on bad teams.

Of them, I'd like Kenny Moore, but I'm not sure what you'd have to give up to get him. If, somehow, the Bengals don't get it going, I'd be asking about Chido too.

endersdragon

Reaction score
Our next 2 opponents unfortunately aren’t a good litmus test
I wouldn't count the Pats out, Mac Jones may not be the best QB but I think he's roughly on Purdy's level (the 49ers aren't winning based on their superb QB play). If we struggle against the Pats then we might be looking to trade someone, by then there might be more sellers anyway.

Gambit

Reaction score
No, we stand pat, let the young guns play.

We currently only have a 1st, a 2nd, a 3rd and 7th pick next year we may get two 6ths as compensation.
There is not going to be an available cb worth a 1, 2 or 3rd pick and the 7th will net you next to nothing.
If there is a signing it will be from a practice squad most likely

conner01

Reaction score
Who is the big corner that you can get in a trade? We have Scott, Isreal and Wright along with 5 safeties. All those guys need to step up.
Lewis will go inside and bland will move outside for now. A move sounds good but who could be available and at what cost
Best shot would be a guy in last year of his contract that a team can’t afford but I can’t think of one

JonesBoys

Reaction score
They don’t need to make a huge trade for a top corner, but a solid one for depth would be nice. It’s a long season and one more injury to secondary it’s going to get a lot thinner. You have to plan for more injuries here there.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Let me preface this thread with this: Let us all wish Diggs a speedy recovery and return to the field. I am sure he is absolutely devastated by the realization that he will not get to play in what is shaping up to be a special Cowboys season.

My question is this:

Depends on what is available at the deadline and how the team is performing in the secondary. If the squad is more vulnerable in the secondary and somehow Patrick Surtain becomes available (if Denver is losing most of their games)——then I could see a big move.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
No, we stand pat, let the young guns play.

We currently only have a 1st, a 2nd, a 3rd and 7th pick next year we may get two 6ths as compensation.
There is not going to be an available cb worth a 1, 2 or 3rd pick and the 7th will net you next to nothing.
If there is a signing it will be from a practice squad most likely
We will see how much stock they have on the young players. If they don’t make a move they believe in all of them.

endersdragon

Reaction score
Depends on what is available at the deadline and how the team is performing in the secondary. If the squad is more vulnerable in the secondary and somehow Patrick Surtain becomes available (if Denver is losing most of their games)——then I could see a big move.
After the 49ers game we will know more about this team and more about who might be sellers, though I don't think we could afford Surtain on any grounds. They probably wouldn't take less than 2 firsts.

calico

Reaction score
See how the next man up does. Don’t let Jerry over paying on a trade because he’s desperate.