CFZ Does the Diggs Injury Necessitate a Big Move?

rambo2

Reaction score
I must have missed the move that corresponds with Diggs going on IR. Still I think this is a move to be considered
At corner Lewis just came back to the roster and Wright will be back soon. Lewis will play the slot and Bland will play outside. They also have the new guy from Miami that they got in trade.

As far as the roster Wilson is coming back.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
In 07, the Giants won the super bowl w/ CBs off the street. Great pass rushes is what wins playoff games. CB's need only be solid.
exactly. the pass rush. that's what I am going to be focused on. I wouldn't doubt we might roll some saftey coverage at times, but pass rush determines everything.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
After the first two games the Cowboys appear to have shored up their run defense, and the only TD they gave up was a deep ball. With Diggs out, this may be the way teams try and attack us down the field. No one is going to trade a good corner during the season.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
In 07, the Giants won the super bowl w/ CBs off the street. Great pass rushes is what wins playoff games. CB's need only be solid.
I agree with you that pass rush is the great equalizer on defense. This Cowboys team may be pretty well equipped to handle the loss of Diggs due to the fact they have put together what is likely to be one of the greatest pass rushing units of the modern era.

We will have to see how things go the next few weeks.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
After the first two games the Cowboys appear to have shored up their run defense, and the only TD they gave up was a deep ball. With Diggs out, this may be the way teams try and attack us down the field. No one is going to trade a good corner during the season.
If the improved run defense is for real and not just a mirage, opposing teams will be presented a very tough dilemma:

Try to play ball control and keep pounding the rock for 2-3 ypc and attempt to move the ball with a short passing game against a team loaded with hybrid linebacker/safeties meant to stop this type of attack, or try to attack our depth at CB with the deep ball knowing that the NFL's best pass rush will be teeing off on you.

These are two pretty unattractive propositions. I'll be interested to see how opposing OCs approach the challenge.

Another thing worth noting is that the more plays you take to move the ball downfield on the Dallas defense, the more opportunities you grant them to create a turnover, and they have been very good at doing this over the last 3 seasons.

Mikexike

Reaction score
Let me preface this thread with this: Let us all wish Diggs a speedy recovery and return to the field. I am sure he is absolutely devastated by the realization that he will not get to play in what is shaping up to be a special Cowboys season.

With Diggs out for the season, Dallas is down an All-Pro cornerback on what is likely the league's best defensive unit. Combined with Gilmore, Dallas had a pair of lockdown DBs that made it very difficult for opposing offenses to throw. Without #7, you go from a CB duo that most of the league would envy to just good with Gilmore + Bland + Lewis.

To win anything in this league, you have to good but luck is a major factor. Nearly every team that makes the Superbowl does so on the back of good injury luck. The Cowboys appear to be as good as anyone right now and the NFC is totally wide open outside of SF, Philly, and Dallas. This is likely the best chance that Dallas has had at making to the NFCCG or further in a very long time. Do you jump on this window at the expense of future draft capital, or hope that the roster you have built is deep enough to sustain the loss of one of the NFL's best cornerbacks in Week 2?

My question is this:

Staying put and observing the performance of the defense without Diggs against the Cardinals and Patriots may be the wisest move, but what happens if teams start being able to move the ball on you in the passing game?

If you are the Cowboys front office, does this injury make you think that another big time addition via a trade may be necessary to get you past Philly and SF?
I don't think you need to make any moves, We have enough guys back there to take care of business as long as MP11 and the boys bring the heat every down.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If the improved run defense is for real and not just a mirage, opposing teams will be presented a very tough dilemma:

Try to play ball control and keep pounding the rock for 2-3 ypc and attempt to move the ball with a short passing game against a team loaded with hybrid linebacker/safeties meant to stop this type of attack, or try to attack our depth at CB with the deep ball knowing that the NFL's best pass rush will be teeing off on you.

These are two pretty unattractive propositions. I'll be interested to see how opposing OCs approach the challenge.

Another thing worth noting is that the more plays you take to move the ball downfield on the Dallas defense, the more opportunities you grant them to create a turnover, and they have been very good at doing this over the last 3 seasons.
Most teams will still attempt to pound the ball at us, and if they have a mobile QB they’ll take advantage of that because we still struggle containing mobile QBs. However, if we end up with a weak link in the secondary, that’s going to put a bull’s-eye on that player.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Let me preface this thread with this: Let us all wish Diggs a speedy recovery and return to the field. I am sure he is absolutely devastated by the realization that he will not get to play in what is shaping up to be a special Cowboys season.

With Diggs out for the season, Dallas is down an All-Pro cornerback on what is likely the league's best defensive unit. Combined with Gilmore, Dallas had a pair of lockdown DBs that made it very difficult for opposing offenses to throw. Without #7, you go from a CB duo that most of the league would envy to just good with Gilmore + Bland + Lewis.

To win anything in this league, you have to good but luck is a major factor. Nearly every team that makes the Superbowl does so on the back of good injury luck. The Cowboys appear to be as good as anyone right now and the NFC is totally wide open outside of SF, Philly, and Dallas. This is likely the best chance that Dallas has had at making to the NFCCG or further in a very long time. Do you jump on this window at the expense of future draft capital, or hope that the roster you have built is deep enough to sustain the loss of one of the NFL's best cornerbacks in Week 2?

My question is this:

Staying put and observing the performance of the defense without Diggs against the Cardinals and Patriots may be the wisest move, but what happens if teams start being able to move the ball on you in the passing game?

If you are the Cowboys front office, does this injury make you think that another big time addition via a trade may be necessary to get you past Philly and SF?
Dallas has a pretty good stable of viable CBs between Gilmore, Bland, Lewis, Mukuamu, ect. If they made a move, it would likely be for depth.
I wouldn't expect the defense to have much of a drop-off.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
giphy.gif

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Surtain is in his 3rd season. Minkah Fitzpatrick was traded while on his rookie deal when Miami was going full rebuild. If Denver somehow completely craters it could happen (for a high price). Never said it was likely, but weird stuff happens in the league. Get over yourself.
Give them our first next year (so they can pair it with theirs to trade up for a QB) and Michael Gallup with Tolbert looking like he can step into that No. 3 role. Of course, we'd have to eat a lot of dead cap if we traded Gallup this year.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Cowboys should go pick up Farniok from the Bears practice squad and guarantee Farniok a spot on the 53 man roster. That would solve the need for a quality backup proven Center. The roster spot is now available sadly due to Diggs' season ending injury.
C.J. Goodwin will be elevated to take that roster spot. He would be on his last callup this week.