Does the idea of drafting another quarterback in the first round entice you at all?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
yeah the qb prospects all look good , till they start playing in nfl lol.
in 2017 chicago passed on mahomes and took trubisky, who they thought was far superior to mahomes.
8 other teams passed on mahomes to take other players, and out of those 8 only 2 amounted to anything.
But even so , the guy to take was mahomes, but nobody except the chiefs saw it !.

I see different qb names posted here for the guy to get, and odds are only 1 of those is any good, and they could
all be busts.

How many here actually think the jones boys can pick the right qb, out of the group in the draft, and is there even
a good one in the group?
A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. We know what we have in dak and he is serviceable, and I would think
about drafting a qb, but I would wait until one I really liked was going to be in the draft.

I know one thing, mahomes was a once in a decade pick, there are no more mahomes coming anytime soon.
he had prepared for being a nfl qb his whole life, and he has the right mental qualities also.

If dallas drafts another qb, they will probably be like tannehil, mariota, trubisky, so nothing to get excited about,
and not even better than dak.
Good point, never heard Mahomes here until after. Further proving that none of us have a clue if a QB will pan out in any round. There are some here with the logic that all we need is a QB as good as Prescott and we can ride the rookie contract for 4 years and build a great team around him. But, wouldn't that raise the QB's stock? All while pissing on Prescott the entire 4 years, they're all of a sudden fine if we get another as good. Lol.

Last edited:

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It’s not a knock on our quarterback. I’m genuinely asking.

I like Dak but the idea completely starting over with McCarthy is an enticing option for me. I’m good either way but I wanted to get a room temperature of the board
In the first round. Absolutely not. But I would like to draft a quarterback every single season in a late round. You simply don’t know what you’re going to get and you might end up with great trade bait

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
29,999,999 ?
I have no problem payingAn athlete what they’re worth. But I never would have paid Elliot because he’s not worth it to the team. But Prescott definitely is in my opinion. So again I don’t grudge them their money I just don’t want to be the one giving it to them. When I don’t feel they deserve it. Prescott has earned it. And I’m hoping this new coach and brings out the best in everyone

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Good point, never heard Mahomes here until after. Further proving that none of us have a clue if a QB will pan out in any round. There are some here with the logic that all we need is a QB as good as Prescott and we can rider the rookie contract for 4 years and build a great team around him. But, wouldn't raise the QB's stock? All while pissing on Prescott the entire 4 years, they're all of a sudden fine if we get another as good. Lol.
The media is dying for the next Roger Staubach. They already Take Mahomes is the best thing ever. But in my opinion worst game I’ve ever seen a quarterback play in the Super Bowl. Other than a Hail Mary he loses that game. Nope I don’t see a quarterback in the first round worth anything right now.

Reactions: G2

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The media is dying for the next Roger Staubach. They already Take Mahomes is the best thing ever. But in my opinion worst game I’ve ever seen a quarterback play in the Super Bowl. Other than a Hail Mary he loses that game. Nope I don’t see a quarterback in the first round worth anything right now.
No one mentions Williams and that game ending TD run. A real thing of beauty.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
In the first round. Absolutely not. But I would like to draft a quarterback every single season in a late round. You simply don’t know what you’re going to get and you might end up with great trade bait

Yet with a later rd QB you need some time to develop, not sure you can do that in a season and end up playing musical backup QB. Romo did great as an UDFA but he sat 3.25 season before he got his start.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No one mentions Williams and that game ending TD run. A real thing of beauty.
I think MVP should’ve gone to the wide receiver Hill. He’s the one that caught the Hail Mary. But you’re right

starfan1

Reaction score
I have no problem payingAn athlete what they’re worth. But I never would have paid Elliot because he’s not worth it to the team. But Prescott definitely is in my opinion. So again I don’t grudge them their money I just don’t want to be the one giving it to them. When I don’t feel they deserve it. Prescott has earned it. And I’m hoping this new coach and brings out the best in everyone

No disagreement here.I was not in favor of the Dlaw and Zeke contracts at all.In fact I'm not convinced jaylon's was the right thing to do but his is manageable.now here we sit and its the most important position on the team and they waited when his should have been the first one they did.

If they are as certain as they say they are then Dak should have been done first. The defense needs so much help and has the entire decade it can no longer be ignored. Im ok with 30-35 no more but its not my money so I wont lose sleep with whatever they give him.

Once they Pay Dak and there is room to pay him they better make damn sure thy hit on all their picks.

SSoup

Reaction score
A. Of course it's a knock against our QB. Don't be silly.

B. No, it's a dumb idea. We'll be picking a dozen picks after the point at which the elite QB prospects will be long gone. And given our glaring needs at DT, DE, CB, S, and TE... there should really be a good player there at an actual position of need.

I'm all for spending a mid-round or later pick on a young QB if we see one who we think has starter potential and should make a great #2 at least. I'm not for spending our highest pick, our biggest and best resource, on people's Dak-Replacement wet dreams.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Only if we are also trading down. I doubt we have more than 2 or 3 1st round grades on a QB so the only reason to draft one near 17 is to capture that 5th year option. We should always be looking to draft and groom a QB just maybe in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
No! Yet another thread on a topic that will NOT happen.

rags747

Reaction score
I like the kid at the Senior Bowl, said he had some Mahomes in him, a little wild. Big arm and big presence in the huddle evidently, a real leader. Forget his name though. Ain’t happening folks, The Jones Boys are locked and loaded for Dak.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
29,999,999 ?

I might be okay with that. Its the $35-40 million talk I'm not on board with. It's not about me not liking Dak. I do and was one of the first to jump on his bandwagon. He lost me a little last year but came back some this year. For me, its about a realistic worth to the team. It shouldn't be that he is next in line so he has to get more than the last guy even though he isn't as good.

starfan1

Reaction score
I might be okay with that. Its the $35-40 million talk I'm not on board with. It's not about me not liking Dak. I do and was one of the first to jump on his bandwagon. He lost me a little last year but came back some this year. For me, its about a realistic worth to the team. It shouldn't be that he is next in line so he has to get more than the last guy even though he isn't as good.
I understand your view. Alex smith wasn't worth what he got,Kirk cousins wasn't either,Romo wasn't worth it either its just how it works. Them dingbats should have hammered it before last year.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No disagreement here.I was not in favor of the Dlaw and Zeke contracts at all.In fact I'm not convinced jaylon's was the right thing to do but his is manageable.now here we sit and its the most important position on the team and they waited when his should have been the first one they did.

If they are as certain as they say they are then Dak should have been done first. The defense needs so much help and has the entire decade it can no longer be ignored. Im ok with 30-35 no more but its not my money so I wont lose sleep with whatever they give him.

Once they Pay Dak and there is room to pay him they better make damn sure thy hit on all their picks.
Where have all the men gone. You’re absolutely right you have to hit the draft. This is a young man’s game not like my old football

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
2 INTs certainly doesn't warrant MVP.
And good thing the fumble went out of bounds. I am not a huge Mahomes fan. I think the media wants another Mc Rogers lover boy. I’m with Terry Bradshaw show me more kid