Does the idea of drafting another quarterback in the first round entice you at all?

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Didn't SF show that you can win without an "elite" (as in top 5) QB? Especially surrounded by great pieces.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I am of the opinion that you always consider a QB if you feel he is worth the investment and even more so if you feel he is undervalued (in any round). Whether you have a QB or not, draft him & see if you can make a profit on your investment.

I understand that more immediate team needs might be sacrificed in order to do this. That is why i say "consider". If you can afford to do it, it has the potential to bring significant returns.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s not a knock on our quarterback. I’m genuinely asking.

I like Dak but the idea completely starting over with McCarthy is an enticing option for me. I’m good either way but I wanted to get a room temperature of the board

Yes. I'd like to try the talent route this time.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Didn't SF show that you can win without an "elite" (as in top 5) QB? Especially surrounded by great pieces.
But in fairness they built a lot of that on the back of a lot of top 10 picks. If the idiot clapper had not won some meaningless games just to keep his job we coulda been in similar situation.

starfan1

Reaction score
But in fairness they built a lot of that on the back of a lot of top 10 picks. If the idiot clapper had not won some meaningless games just to keep his job we coulda been in similar situation.
I agree that clapper was an idiot but what meaningless games has he won in the last few years that would have put you in a similar position as san fran

blueblood70

Reaction score
NO unless Tua or Herbert FALL to 17 and we dont have to move to get them..ourtside of that we need a lot of defensive help this draft.. I would take a Jhurts or Fromm n the 4th should they be there, that would be worth grooming a backup..

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I agree that clapper was an idiot but what meaningless games has he won in the last few years that would have put you in a similar position as san fran
if memory serves correctly, each win generally cost us 4 - 6 draft spots. For instance, in 2018 we drafted 19th and i believe 1 more loss would have put us drafting 13th. So not exactly SF but moving us up significantly in each round. The season ending win against the Eagles 6-0 was meaningless.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It’s not a knock on our quarterback. I’m genuinely asking.

I like Dak but the idea completely starting over with McCarthy is an enticing option for me. I’m good either way but I wanted to get a room temperature of the board

I would NEVER pass up a potential franchise QB. If they do they are stupid.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

First off what did they win?

2nd the team around Jimmy G is cheap.

They’ll be QB shopping once these guys start needing contracts because he isn’t worth his pay and he is easily replaceable.

3rd... It’s just proven that if a QB takes up a large portion of your cap you ain’t winning squat.

Dak is likely to take up 15 -20% of the cap.. Bub bye Super Bowl.

starfan1

Reaction score
if memory serves correctly, each win generally cost us 4 - 6 draft spots. For instance, in 2018 we drafted 19th and i believe 1 more loss would have put us drafting 13th. So not exactly SF but moving us up significantly in each round. The season ending win against the Eagles 6-0 was meaningless.
2017 it was Ok fair enough that game may have been meaningless I cant remember if the falcons had already clinched or not but I cant fault the coach and players much for not wanting to be embarrassed by a bunch of back ups. Philly was 13-3 and rested the bulk of their players. So losing that game may have put you in position to go after Derwin James and you know how much value Rod placed on the safety position. We got LVE which at that time was our biggest need but I get your point

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With the news that "leaks" out on a daily basis about this negotiation, or lack thereof, I am warming up to the idea more every day.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But you couldn't beat it for edge of your seat excitement.

Javier

Reaction score
Absolutely.

We are talking about Dak, nothing special, and I think MM is not convinced at all.

InTheZone

Reaction score
No. I believe in Dak but if I thought there was a Mahomes out there I’d get it. But thats not the case. People need to be reminded of Quincy, Hutch, Wright, Leaf, henson and so on. You have a very good to great qb you fix other positions IMO. Its easy to be stuck in QB limbo for many years of you mess this up. No thanks.
what coach, OL, RB, receivers, TE did those bum QBs have? I think our situation is 1000x greater than whatever the QB had in those years. And I believe the offensive support is right along the lines of arguably the best in the league at the moment. QB should have no reason to fall flat on their face.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yeah. But most low draft QB’s suck. They stink to the point of being a detriment to their team. That’s the issue. And if you take one that stinks, like most do, you’ve now hamstrung your Team until you do find a good one.

Think about how many undrafted free agent QB’s there are for every Romo or Kurt Warner. The number must be literally in the hundreds.

Same with mid round draft pick QB’s. There are a whole bunch drafted every year who never even stick around as back ups in the league.

Having just a mid round pick QB as a strategy is highly highly highly risky. Which is one reason why QB’s get paid so well in the first place.

Not hundreds.
Romo. Matt Moore. Dak.
vs.
Mike White, Cooper Rush, Stephen McGee

3 mid round picks and UDFAs.
Two franchise QBs and a career backup who just got a ring with KC and is a career .500 starter. That is great return on investment, particularly with the UDFAs.

kskboys

Reaction score
Only QB I would move up to take would be Joe Burrow. The move up on that would be too costly
And in all likelihood, that trade is not available. Burrow is from Ohio, Cincy giving up that pick would take something along the line of the Walker trade. Would you give up 3 firsts, 3 seconds, and a couple of players?

kskboys

Reaction score
Boggles my mind how some fans think we can land a better option with such certainty, and shows zero concern on this mediocre DL. At best mediocre. Prescott has played at a high level for 4 straight seasons, missing zero games and getting paid nothing. It's ridiculous to assume he doesn't deserve to be paid. If the FO doesn't retain him, they're idiots.
It really depends. If Dak is insisting on a capstrapping 40 mil per, we may have to let him walk. I like Dak, but he's simply not worth 40.