Does this front office have a plan?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Booger's plan is to keep doing what he's been doing for as long as he can. The same plan his mentor had.

If you know any wildcatters and I've known more than my share in the Arklatex, plans are all flexible. Booger runs his football team the same way he did his previous company, it's all about risk/reward.

The pattern is identical and he has said that his best wells were the ones with the highest risk and investment and he also admitted to going on his gut and against his paid geologists and pure science at times, a wildcatter trait. No fun if there's no gamble involved.

One common trait of every wildcatter I've known and while I don't know Booger, he still has the trait. They do what they do because they can do what they want to do. Does he not run the team the same way?

Think there haven't been voices in the room advising against moves like Pacman, Spellman, Owens, Bryant, Hardy, Lee, Smith and some of his other risky moves? He doesn't consider risk, only reward. The major difference now is that there is no downside to the risk like there was in the oil bidness. Nothing bad happens when you're bulletproof.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well done Coach!!

Yep , Jerry is basically saying this is the way Im going to do it. Now , what are you going to do about it?

So far we’ve made him the wealthiest franchise on the planet. Maybe are sending him the wrong message?

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There are some old sayings about planning and leadership that apply to the Cowboys these days- “When things don’t go as planned, you find out the quality of your leaders”, and “The best leaders are the ones prepared for both good times and bad.”

It’s always easier when the plans you’ve made work. But what do your leaders do when the plan doesn’t work? Or even worse- What if your leaders never had a plan to begin with?

After watching 4 games with this 2020 Cowboys team, it’s obvious things haven’t gone as planned. But I have some questions:
  • What is this team built to be?
  • What is the plan now?
Thoughts/questions about what this team is built to be NOW:
  • The 2016-2019 teams were seemingly built around the offensive line and the running game’s ability to control the tempo of the game with Zeke and the defense’s ability to bend but not break.
  • In those days, Dak’s role was to be an efficient passer who doesn’t turn the ball over. But we don’t have a dominant offensive line anymore. Zeke is a very good RB, but he doesn’t look as explosive as his early days.
  • Travis Frederick’s retirement has had a big impact on the OL.
  • Is this year’s team supposed to be a pass dominant team now?
  • Did the FO drop the ball in the offseason planning for this defense? Haha Clinton-Dix was signed in the offseason and couldn’t even make the roster. Dontari Poe seems like a shadow of what he used to be. Gerald McCoy was injured before pads were put on.
  • Now what?
So what is this FO’s plan to right this sinking ship? Here’s another old saying that applies- “Hope is not a strategy”, although with Jerry and Stephen Jones, that always seems to be the plan- hope things work out. And if they don’t, find someone else to blame for their own failings.

What do you think is the plan this year? Is there a plan?

haze--- I really like the sayings you put up....we will find out how good McCarthey can be as a leader who desperately needs to make competent and succesful adjustments going forward....what is your prediction...2 choices..good or ;bad???

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There are some old sayings about planning and leadership that apply to the Cowboys these days- “When things don’t go as planned, you find out the quality of your leaders”, and “The best leaders are the ones prepared for both good times and bad.”

It’s always easier when the plans you’ve made work. But what do your leaders do when the plan doesn’t work? Or even worse- What if your leaders never had a plan to begin with?

After watching 4 games with this 2020 Cowboys team, it’s obvious things haven’t gone as planned. But I have some questions:
  • What is this team built to be?
  • What is the plan now?
Thoughts/questions about what this team is built to be NOW:
  • The 2016-2019 teams were seemingly built around the offensive line and the running game’s ability to control the tempo of the game with Zeke and the defense’s ability to bend but not break.
  • In those days, Dak’s role was to be an efficient passer who doesn’t turn the ball over. But we don’t have a dominant offensive line anymore. Zeke is a very good RB, but he doesn’t look as explosive as his early days.
  • Travis Frederick’s retirement has had a big impact on the OL.
  • Is this year’s team supposed to be a pass dominant team now?
  • Did the FO drop the ball in the offseason planning for this defense? Haha Clinton-Dix was signed in the offseason and couldn’t even make the roster. Dontari Poe seems like a shadow of what he used to be. Gerald McCoy was injured before pads were put on.
  • Now what?
So what is this FO’s plan to right this sinking ship? Here’s another old saying that applies- “Hope is not a strategy”, although with Jerry and Stephen Jones, that always seems to be the plan- hope things work out. And if they don’t, find someone else to blame for their own failings.

What do you think is the plan this year? Is there a plan?

haze..second reply----the defense must make adjustments where players are confident they can react and not have to think and then react....so does that only involve better communication...or will it involve simplying defense too....

or will it involved scheme change...or last and most drastic coach change? and competent adjustment must be quick...secondly we must stop turnovers and hopefully do better getting turnovers.....and thirdly...we must adjust our

offensive line...I would put Martin at RT McGovern at RG and Knight at LT..with badass at center and unfortunately Williams at LG....Looney i have heard is either hurt for a couple of weeks or out for season....Smith we must prepare

to be out for season even if this is not the case....if he can play total bonus......we must get some push and open holes for runnng game to employ RB's more...we must employ ball control more to increase time of possession

all this or some form of all this can be accomplished before Giants game....and continue to work to be better at these...this is Coach Gorico plan to get Cowboys to super bowl

Creeper

Reaction score
Does anyone watch Family Guy? Are you familiar with the James Woods joke, "ooh, a piece of candy. Ooh, a piece of candy..."? Jerry has a plan but then, "ooh, a piece of candy".

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
haze..second reply----the defense must make adjustments where players are confident they can react and not have to think and then react....so does that only involve better communication...or will it involve simplying defense too....

or will it involved scheme change...or last and most drastic coach change? and competent adjustment must be quick...secondly we must stop turnovers and hopefully do better getting turnovers.....and thirdly...we must adjust our

offensive line...I would put Martin at RT McGovern at RG and Knight at LT..with badass at center and unfortunately Williams at LG....Looney i have heard is either hurt for a couple of weeks or out for season....Smith we must prepare

to be out for season even if this is not the case....if he can play total bonus......we must get some push and open holes for runnng game to employ RB's more...we must employ ball control more to increase time of possession

all this or some form of all this can be accomplished before Giants game....and continue to work to be better at these...this is Coach Gorico plan to get Cowboys to super bowl

I'm afraid there are a couple of major obstacles between the Cowboys and the Super Bowl.

jerry-stephen.jpg

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm starting to think maybe the smartest thing to at this point is shut down Nolan scheme ( for now ) and use the same scheme/system players played the last 3-4 years under Marinelli. You have a better chance of getting ALL 11 guys on the same page. Remember Woods saying if one player screws up, they all screw up and he's right coz another player or players are going have to cover the mistake(s).

Just me but we all know the offense is fine and if we get the D to start playing top 15 ball, this team becomes who we thought it would be.

I guess I'm a little confused what OP is asking/looking for from Jerry and/or Stephen since the season has started. We have a new coach and a pretty good draft. You get the impression ( I do at least) they've given MM everything he's asked for. They added McCoy, Smith, and even Griffen to the DLine. So I'm not sure there's a lot more they could have done. If anything, you can argue MM underestimated the challenge of installing a new defensive scheme with CV19, a new coach, new players, no practice. Frankly, that's on him, not Jerry and Stephen.

hawkeye--i am all in on radical adjustment for defense....they must get confident that they can react and not have to think and then react...whether involve only better communication..simplify scheme or install new simple scheme?

dont turn ball over....get turnovers ( easier said then done except easy to secure holding football and not getting it ripped out ).....we must put Martin at RT and Knight at LT and now that Looney could be out long time McGovern at RG

and get more offensive lineman...maybe even employ 11 personnel...as extra blocker to help Knight...or have Shultz quick chip and then go out in flat as security blanket and hope our 2 receivers can get open....and i would always

do play action or RPO ...run several different plays from same formation like the Rams do...this will help greatly to disguise offense

kskboys

Reaction score
Only one plan. The plan is for Jerry to talk a bunch. I haven't noticed anything else that resembles any sort of plan.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
haze--- I really like the sayings you put up....we will find out how good McCarthey can be as a leader who desperately needs to make competent and succesful adjustments going forward....what is your prediction...2 choices..good or ;bad???
As a lifelong Cowboys fan, I always want the best for the team. Unfortunately, unless Jerry stops being stubbornly stupid the way he runs this thing, I see the head coach as just a minor player in where this team goes.

Can Big Mac coach this team up and improve performance? We’re about to find out. But watching this team through 4 weeks, I’m slowly starting to realize he doesn’t have as much talent to work with as we all probably thought. Our defensive player drafts the last 5 years have come home to roost.

My prediction? Good and bad?
If by “Good” you mean best case scenario- here’s my take-
  • Team finishes 7-9 with a late flourish, winning the pathetic NFC Least, only to get trucked in the first round.
  • Some of the young guys in this years draft- Diggs, Anae, Biadaz get more PT and show some potential.
Bad or worst case-
  • Finish 4-12, but not enough losses to get a top 5 pick.
  • Tyron Smith announces his retirement leaving this team without a decent LT.
  • Jerry gets impatient and starts inserting himself more into the spotlight, ruining his new HCs credibility with players and the public.
This has been a horrific start for this team with the injuries and the peeling back of the curtain showing the that the talent base was not as strong as we had hoped.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well done Coach!!

Yep , Jerry is basically saying this is the way Im going to do it. Now , what are you going to do about it?

So far we’ve made him the wealthiest franchise on the planet. Maybe are sending him the wrong message?
That won't stop, Greg. How many times have you seen a poster here laying into Booger and follow that up with their plans for going to the game. Some are pissed and buying plane tickets and paying for hotel rooms as well.

I am not criticizing but I gotta say if I was feeding the fool, I wouldn't be so critical. That's like hammering a movie and saying you're headed back to see it again and again.

But I get it, it's more than just the game, it is the entertainment and experience. However, I have yet to give the Highland Park Hillbilly clan a dime so I don't feel I have contributed to their football delinquency.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Booger's plan is a simple one, keep marketing and promoting the team and I disagree, he is not a great salesman, he's a pitchman telling fans exactly what they want to hear.

And what's wrong with fans having hope? I've seen too many of those "won't get fooled again" posts, why? He is not the team, the team is yours in your heart and mind and if you want to believe in it and hang onto hope, good for you!

It's OK to be disappointed in the team and their performance but don't ever be down on yourself for believing. Have you ever believed in someone and they let you down? It's what we do, we believe and we specifically believe in what we want to believe in and we want to believe again.

My friends, this has been a year unlike any other in my lifetime and there's enough to get us down and piss us off, this shouldn't be one of those things because in the end, this just ain't no big thing. It's not my problem and it's not your problem, it's their problem. Lemme let you in on one of CC's Tools for a Tailored Life. Look at anything and everything and ask this one question "do I need to do anything about this"? If not, don't own it.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
As a lifelong Cowboys fan, I always want the best for the team. Unfortunately, unless Jerry stops being stubbornly stupid the way he runs this thing, I see the head coach as just a minor player in where this team goes.

Can Big Mac coach this team up and improve performance? We’re about to find out. But watching this team through 4 weeks, I’m slowly starting to realize he doesn’t have as much talent to work with as we all probably thought. Our defensive player drafts the last 5 years have come home to roost.

My prediction? Good and bad?
If by “Good” you mean best case scenario- here’s my take-
  • Team finishes 7-9 with a late flourish, winning the pathetic NFC Least, only to get trucked in the first round.
  • Some of the young guys in this years draft- Diggs, Anae, Biadaz get more PT and show some potential.
Bad or worst case-
  • Finish 4-12, but not enough losses to get a top 5 pick.
  • Tyron Smith announces his retirement leaving this team without a decent LT.
  • Jerry gets impatient and starts inserting himself more into the spotlight, ruining his new HCs credibility with players and the public.
This has been a horrific start for this team with the injuries and the peeling back of the curtain showing the that the talent base was not as strong as we had hoped.

Bob baby--- for some reason...either i am very deceived or on target...i consider our defensive players better than they have been playing ( with couple exceptions in secondary )...the rams are pretty good team and in second half of that game for the most part we put the clamps on them.....if we have seen it once we know its possible...if we can hang on until Brown and Awuzie and LVE get back along with Gregory and make solid adjustments on D line i can see a turn around
but if we dont get a fair share of lady luck ( if there is such a thing )....i can see worse case scenario playing out.....i like to look forward with a competitive cowboy team during football season...when they are no good a big part of NFL football
season goes away for me...i no longer have a dance in my step...i have heard when Cowboys are good the psychiatric wards empty out.....we are a pititful bunch now that i think of it

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That won't stop, Greg. How many times have you seen a poster here laying into Booger and follow that up with their plans for going to the game. Some are pissed and buying plane tickets and paying for hotel rooms as well.

I am not criticizing but I gotta say if I was feeding the fool, I wouldn't be so critical. That's like hammering a movie and saying you're headed back to see it again and again.

But I get it, it's more than just the game, it is the entertainment and experience. However, I have yet to give the Highland Park Hillbilly clan a dime so I don't feel I have contributed to their football delinquency.
I made the decision in 2008 that I was done spending a dime on the Cowboys until there were substantive changes in the way the naked emperor runs this thing. No merchandise- no games. I’m still waiting on those changes.

A family member gifted me some tix to a game at the Stayjum in Dec 2018. I literally parked over a mile from the stayjum to avoid paying any parking fees that went to the Jones cartel. I did not buy anything at concessions. (Yes I was thirsty but waited until back at my car to quench my thirst) The whole experience that day at AT&T was awful. It feels like being at a cheap flea market inside a cavernous new shopping mall. It doesn’t feel like a football stadium to me at all. I’ll never go back as long as the Jones are involved. Free tix or not.

Jerry is lucky he bought the most prestigious brand in sports and that he hired a great coach at the beginning of his time as an owner. Without those two factors propping him up early on, he would probably be seen as an even worse pariah than he already is. Sure he’s turned this thing into a bulletproof cash cow through his business talent. But it’s not like he bought the Jaguars.

If even 25% of the fans stopped buying his merchandise and tix, maybe things could change.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I think the "plan" aspect is overrated in this case. They've had the talent to compete for years now, and they wasted it on a terrible coach. What's happening now is that they haven't drafted well the last few years and that's catching up to them. Their formerly excellent players are aging, breaking down, or leaving at the same time their QB and others are getting paid..

Now once they hit bottom and have to rebuild, that's when they'll need a bigger overarching plan -- who do you trade, who do you cut to clear the cap, is your QB the long term answer, etc.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I made the decision in 2008 that I was done spending a dime on the Cowboys until there were substantive changes in the way the naked emperor runs this thing. No merchandise- no games. I’m still waiting on those changes.

A family member gifted me some tix to a game at the Stayjum in Dec 2018. I literally parked over a mile from the stayjum to avoid paying any parking fees that went to the Jones cartel. I did not buy anything at concessions. (Yes I was thirsty but waited until back at my car to quench my thirst) The whole experience that day at AT&T was awful. It feels like being at a cheap flea market inside a cavernous new shopping mall. It doesn’t feel like a football stadium to me at all. I’ll never go back as long as the Jones are involved. Free tix or not.

Jerry is lucky he bought the most prestigious brand in sports and that he hired a great coach at the beginning of his time as an owner. Without those two factors propping him up early on, he would probably be seen as an even worse pariah than he already is. Sure he’s turned this thing into a bulletproof cash cow through his business talent. But it’s not like he bought the Jaguars.

If even 25% of the fans stopped buying his merchandise and tix, maybe things could change.
Bullet, he's bulletproof. Once he got that venue, it was over.

One thing happened and I am not sure when this took place but it has been for a few years now. He successfully made himself the face of the Dallas Cowboys and I honestly don't care what they do and have to admit I like looking at his sorry face after a loss. He pushed himself so far and hard into the public eye that I became complacent at best. He didn;t erase the history and laundry but he's working on it.

If it were not for the old DC.comers and Zoners, I wouldn't even follow the team any longer. I watch the entire NFL dispassionately but that's not a bad thing. I am in the Guinness World Book of Records with the highest speed attained with a TV remote. Actually broke the sound barrier and scared hell out of my dogs. The one drawback is that I miss my creative use of cusswords and forming hybrids and seeing how many I can fit into one breath.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

I wasn’t referring to you. As usually a post spurred my response which speaks out to everyone my friend. Sorry I didn’t make that clearer.

I have to keep reminding everyone we are the ones( and I’m saying that generally) that continue to fuel the coffers however indirectly it might be. We can’t expect changes if we’re still feeding it.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
when you realize YOUR FEELINGS don't matter when it comes to your sports teams and matters far outside your expertise and your bubble..opinions and feelings , funny thing when coupled with personal expectations thrust upon a group that doesnt know you even exists is where the true issues reside..IN YOUR HEADS

these emotional outbursts full of opinions are whats wrong with society its become all ME and a NOW society...not working throw it, out to hard to deal with...

Emotional outbursts? My note was sarcastic. You seem to be the one that’s ALWAYS emotional. Why so sad?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Emotional outbursts? My note was sarcastic. You seem to be the one that’s ALWAYS emotional. Why so sad?
fans,

poor fans

sad fans
bad fans

and 1-3 but that response was for ALL the detractors and negative Nellie know it all on this board..

Whyjerry

Reaction score
fans,

poor fans

sad fans
bad fans

and 1-3 but that response was for ALL the detractors and negative Nellie know it all on this board..

I think I am going to block you for pure weirdness. Google “supplements for cognitive strength”.