Does this front office have a plan?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Looks like we have fans that believe cheerleading is only acceptable means to express yourself. Lol
looks like we have fake fans who do nothing but whine and complain and those are nice words not to get benched but one finger saluting you as we speak.:yourock:

hows that for cheerleading?..you can be unhappy with your team no doubt but if all you bring is doom, gloom, and negativity.,

You should no longer be fan ..seems like a lot of work to do nothing but whine and complain like a little snowflake!:oldcouple:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
looks like we have fake fans who do nothing but whine and complain and those are nice words not to get benched but one finger saluting you as we speak.:yourock:

hows that for cheerleading?..you can be unhappy with your team no doubt but if all you bring is doom, gloom, and negativity.,

You should no longer be fan ..seems like a lot of work to do nothing but whine and complain like a little snowflake!:oldcouple:
And those who whine about the whiners.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
There are some old sayings about planning and leadership that apply to the Cowboys these days- “When things don’t go as planned, you find out the quality of your leaders”, and “The best leaders are the ones prepared for both good times and bad.”

It’s always easier when the plans you’ve made work. But what do your leaders do when the plan doesn’t work? Or even worse- What if your leaders never had a plan to begin with?

After watching 4 games with this 2020 Cowboys team, it’s obvious things haven’t gone as planned. But I have some questions:
  • What is this team built to be?
  • What is the plan now?
Thoughts/questions about what this team is built to be NOW:
  • The 2016-2019 teams were seemingly built around the offensive line and the running game’s ability to control the tempo of the game with Zeke and the defense’s ability to bend but not break.
  • In those days, Dak’s role was to be an efficient passer who doesn’t turn the ball over. But we don’t have a dominant offensive line anymore. Zeke is a very good RB, but he doesn’t look as explosive as his early days.
  • Travis Frederick’s retirement has had a big impact on the OL.
  • Is this year’s team supposed to be a pass dominant team now?
  • Did the FO drop the ball in the offseason planning for this defense? Haha Clinton-Dix was signed in the offseason and couldn’t even make the roster. Dontari Poe seems like a shadow of what he used to be. Gerald McCoy was injured before pads were put on.
  • Now what?
So what is this FO’s plan to right this sinking ship? Here’s another old saying that applies- “Hope is not a strategy”, although with Jerry and Stephen Jones, that always seems to be the plan- hope things work out. And if they don’t, find someone else to blame for their own failings.

What do you think is the plan this year? Is there a plan?
I don't think they do. yes, they will say they have a plan, but for a plan to work, you have to be honest and real with youself and Jerry hasn't done that for a very long time. He is reactionary, not a visionary. his focus on marketing, selling...at heart he is a salesman. that's why the cowboys despite the onfield results are the most valuable franchise in NFL and one of the most valuable across all sports.

Jerry sells promises. Jerry sells hope. why did I say he is not real and honest with himself? he is the defacto GM, but any GM with this track record would have been fired long ago.He sells hope, markets. Anyone in football knew that Poe and McCoy are done. yet he signed them. anyone could have told you that we shouldn't hand out a large contract to Lawrence, yet he did. He caved in to Zeke and with a short term view gave him a new contract, with 2 years to go. he has made almost every wrong personnel move there is. his drafts have been so so, in player evaluation except when he gets lucky and something falls on his lap.

and he never really had had any contingency plans. eveyr off season we all on this board, with our friends and fellow cowboys fans and we point fingers at Jerry and every fall, we fall into the same trap. this year, the fingers pointing at Jerry are starting way sooner. way way sooner. we might go on a few game winning streak, but that would be fools gold. this team he has build is not good. and will not be good for several years, as it needs a lot of parts.

jerry has made this mess, as the owner/president/GM he has to take full responsibility. we know the usual course of actions. fire a DC, put the onus on the coach, do the empty talk, try to sell hope. try to sell change....nothing has changed in 25+ years....why do we get fooled and think it will change now

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One good thing about being 1-3, and a bad 3, is that we haven't let that sour our mood and snap at our fellow fans.

I know it's just my imagination but it seems that some posters are blaming other posters for the shape the team is in and the season thus far.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
One good thing about being 1-3, and a bad 3, is that we haven't let that sour our mood and snap at our fellow fans.

I know it's just my imagination but it seems that some posters are blaming other posters for the shape the team is in and the season thus far.
I can’t imagine being sour or negative about how this season has started. Lol

Thankfully we have some cheerleaders to try and keep our spirits up. Ha

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
This team was built to win the SB now, or within two years.

Once this period has passed, it's rebuilding.
So in your opinion has that time passed, or are you saying there is still a two year window?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't think they do. yes, they will say they have a plan, but for a plan to work, you have to be honest and real with youself and Jerry hasn't done that for a very long time. He is reactionary, not a visionary. his focus on marketing, selling...at heart he is a salesman. that's why the cowboys despite the onfield results are the most valuable franchise in NFL and one of the most valuable across all sports.

Jerry sells promises. Jerry sells hope. why did I say he is not real and honest with himself? he is the defacto GM, but any GM with this track record would have been fired long ago.He sells hope, markets. Anyone in football knew that Poe and McCoy are done. yet he signed them. anyone could have told you that we shouldn't hand out a large contract to Lawrence, yet he did. He caved in to Zeke and with a short term view gave him a new contract, with 2 years to go. he has made almost every wrong personnel move there is. his drafts have been so so, in player evaluation except when he gets lucky and something falls on his lap.

and he never really had had any contingency plans. eveyr off season we all on this board, with our friends and fellow cowboys fans and we point fingers at Jerry and every fall, we fall into the same trap. this year, the fingers pointing at Jerry are starting way sooner. way way sooner. we might go on a few game winning streak, but that would be fools gold. this team he has build is not good. and will not be good for several years, as it needs a lot of parts.

jerry has made this mess, as the owner/president/GM he has to take full responsibility. we know the usual course of actions. fire a DC, put the onus on the coach, do the empty talk, try to sell hope. try to sell change....nothing has changed in 25+ years....why do we get fooled and think it will change now
The results will sell themself past the hype and hope our snake oil salesman pimps.

I’m still amazed by those who are so surprised. Disappointed and frustrated . Sure..

Honestly , as much as I’d like to see our franchise succeed on the field as I’m going to watch all the games anyway , I do take some satisfaction in Jethro continuing to flounder.

It’s like I’m rooting for us to win but laughing at our Football Idiot for losing. It’s definitely a mixed bag of emotions with our SOB of an owner.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
There are some old sayings about planning and leadership that apply to the Cowboys these days- “When things don’t go as planned, you find out the quality of your leaders”, and “The best leaders are the ones prepared for both good times and bad.”

It’s always easier when the plans you’ve made work. But what do your leaders do when the plan doesn’t work? Or even worse- What if your leaders never had a plan to begin with?

After watching 4 games with this 2020 Cowboys team, it’s obvious things haven’t gone as planned. But I have some questions:
  • What is the plan now?
  • The 2016-2019 teams were seemingly built around the offensive line and the running game’s ability to control the tempo of the game with Zeke and the defense’s ability to bend but not break.
  • In those days, Dak’s role was to be an efficient passer who doesn’t turn the ball over. But we don’t have a dominant offensive line anymore. Zeke is a very good RB, but he doesn’t look as explosive as his early days.
  • Did the FO drop the ball in the offseason planning for this defense? Haha Clinton-Dix was signed in the offseason and couldn’t even make the roster. Dontari Poe seems like a shadow of what he used to be. Gerald McCoy was injured before pads were put on.
  • Now what?
So what is this FO’s plan to right this sinking ship? Here’s another old saying that applies- “Hope is not a strategy”, although with Jerry and Stephen Jones, that always seems to be the plan- hope things work out. And if they don’t, find someone else to blame for their own failings.

Yes, lose as many games as we can and pray it's enough to earn the first pick in the draft!

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I believe they did and unlike some years actually tried at least a little to better the roster.
I applauded this bit for one minute believe it was nothing more than an attempt at a quick fix.

This is what, Poe's 4th team in 5 years? His best days are way behind him
Ditto for McCoy, although to a much lesser degree as i still believe he would have helped.
The Clinton Dix was a strange signing, even in his prime he was just an average NFL safetly.
They weren't prepared for the Beard's retirement but should have seen the writing on the wall with Tyron Smith. Ditto for the injuries to LVE and Lee. This team needs to address the trenches and the back 7 of the D in next years draft/FA.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
1) make money
2) continue to market/sell the brand
3) place the brand in the news/ sports cycle no matter what that news is - remember any mention of the brand is good whether it be positive or negative.
4) repeat 1-3

the football plan falls way down the list, if at all

:hammer:....yup the plan is to get into your wallet any way possible. Yet....still get you to come back for more. :rolleyes:

Cebrin

Reaction score
Personally, I think there's a crack in the boat, and that crack is Nolan. It's pretty bad when several former players have gone on record to say it, but no one listens. These aren't just scrub players, either.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Sure they do. It’s called counting their money.
As long as the dollars keep flowing the Jones’ care little about the product on the field

Oh I believe Jerry definitely cares, and he wants to win, but that doesn't mean he knows how to do it.
I do think they made a good effort in the off season to bolster the DL with Smith, Griffin, Poe, McCoy and drafting Gallimore, but it's showing a lot less improvement than I expected, plus we lost McCoy.
On top of all that, I think Nolan is also part of the problem.

the playmaker

Reaction score

• What is the plan now?
  • Now what?

merchandising
merchandising:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There are trolling rules. But rest assured, i would never report you. It's all about the repartee.
If they spur you to break the rules you should . I’d welcome the challenge . We shouldn’t fall victim to letting members incite us to responses which could be against the rules . Mods suggest reporting or ignoring rather than a rule breaking response.

My understanding of the rules is anything Cowboy related including ownership , front office, coaches and players are fair game to attacks and personal insults without members of the forum being subject to personal attacks , insults or antagonism and stalking.

This includes attacking groups like haters or lovers for example as long as you don’t single out a single member. Your post recently stating that as long as I attack Jethro, Cheapskate Son and Fat Mikey you will attack me is a direct violation and why I reported it. I’ve reported others for similar violation.

This was a widespread issue on the old forum but is more strictly enforced here.

I understand you have a personal issue with how I attack certain issues , especially Cheapskate Son recently , but I’ve tried not to be personal with you unless invoked. I understand your position and welcome the debate on the issues without personal insults which are used intently to discredit the messenger cause don’t like message.

Last edited: