Dolphins Grant S Minkah Fitzpatrick Permission to Seek Trade **merged**

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
They don't want contracts, they want to follow the cleveland model, a ton of draft picks to build their team on, not some player that will need a new long term deal in a year
They still have to man a 53-man roster.

Taco is an affordable player that they can easily move on from. Of course they will want a bunch of draft picks but teams also don't like to give up several picks at once. A pick (or two) and a player (or two) is still a win for them if they have decided they want to move on from Minkah.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Taking defensive players for granted wont get us anywhere. Brady wasnt breaking records last SB, he didnt even get to 300 yards. Their RB didnt rush for 100 yards either.

You do realize that what I am suggesting is taking B. Jones and replacing him on the roaster with someone that is even more talented than he is. I not suggesting we cut Jones or that we trade him for an OL or something, this is trading an player we wont' have next season for a more talented player at the same position (defensive back) that we will have for at least 3 years.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
They still have to man a 53-man roster.

Taco is an affordable player that they can easily move on from. Of course they will want a bunch of draft picks but teams also don't like to give up several picks at once. A pick (or two) and a player (or two) is still a win for them if they have decided they want to move on from Minkah.
what makes you think they even want Taco??

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
You do realize that what I am suggesting is taking B. Jones and replacing him on the roaster with someone that is even more talented than he is. I not suggesting we cut Jones or that we trade him for an OL or something, this is trading an player we wont' have next season for a more talented player at the same position (defensive back) that we will have for at least 3 years.

I'm not gonna pencil in that Byron Jones is gone at the end of the year. I thought that about La'el Collins and he came out of nowhere with a longterm deal. And if the Cowboys trade Byron Jones for Fitzpatrick it should be a tradeup swap. Shouldn't have to add anything else. Honestly even then I would rather have the more proven player for the playoff run and take the comp pick if it comes to that.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
I saw a Cowboys fan over twitter suggest trading Jourdan Lewis for him. And wondered why should be want to trade one of most promising DBs to Miami. Miami wants a high price that is worth, but we shouldn't give up too much either.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
what makes you think they even want Taco??
They may not specifically want Taco but they need bodies.

Even when tanking you have to field a roster. They want picks but they will also take players as part of the package, especially youg players with easily disposable contracts.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Not going to get sucked.

Normally I would not expect the Cowboys to be interested in this type of trade; however...

The financial side of it somewhat fits with something Stephen Jones would be interested in doing.

I think it might be to play him at CB more than at Safety but with both Jones and Brown being free agents after the season, MFitz has to be an appealing concept to Cowboys management.

The problem is that the Cowboys are not going to promise him an immediate staring job.

Plankton

Reaction score
In the Kiper last year, I traded up to get Fitzpatrick in the first round. I think the guy is a difference maker - a true swiss army knife kind of player. He will make the team better, no matter if he lines up at corner, slot or safety. I would be ecstatic if they could make a move for him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I saw a Cowboys fan over twitter suggest trading Jourdan Lewis for him. And wondered why should be want to trade one of most promising DBs to Miami. Miami wants a high price that is worth, but we shouldn't give up too much either.
Why would Miami do that trade?

Lewis is under team control for 2 years.

MFitrz is under team control for 4 years.

The Dolphins are rebuilding...

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Why would Miami do that trade?

Lewis is under team control for 2 years.

MFitrz is under team control for 4 years.

The Dolphins are rebuilding...

TBH, not sure why they want to move on from him at all. If they are rebuilding, this guy is going to be good for a long time. Good piece to have.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score

Even when tanking you have to field a roster. They want picks but they will also take players as part of the package, especially youg players with easily disposable contracts.

If they need bodies, they can sign people off the street or 31 other teams practice squads....they want draft picks, they are in full rebuilding mode....Fitz was the 11th overall pick, team friendly and years left on deal, you're not getting him for a player dallas wants to get rid of and a late first round pick...ain't happening....they got two first round picks and a second for Tunsil...

T-RO

Reaction score
I have an auto-trigger that compels me to respond to any post referencing PFF...

My auto-trigger also stop me from reading past the point where I see PFF mentioned.

Triggered? I wouldn't have thought you'd admit to such a thing.

Pro Football Focus is making enough money to fund 261 employees! All 32 teams subscribe to PFF...at considerable cost.

If GMs, coaches, & insiders find it valuable...I can only chuckle at fans who utterly dismiss it. PFF invests 300-plus man hours per game.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
they got two first round picks and a second for Tunsil.
and many people feel Tunsil is the best young left tackle in all of football.

I don't disagree with you on the Dolphins wanting picks. I'm just saying you can sweeten the pot with players. I don't want to send multiple high picks for him and if another team does, so be it, we miss out on this particular player.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Cowboys fans should just focus on the concept of trading a draft pick for MFitz and all the issues surrounding that concept.

Taco or other players on the Cowboys roster just complicates the issue. The Dolphins are primarily going to want a premium draft pick.

What are the real issues with MFitz in Miami and how much do those issues affect his value?

There is always a significant risk with a player that the team that drafted him only 1 year earlier is willing to trade him away.

He is only on his 2nd season. If the Dolphins rebuilding effort have any success it should be well before he is a free agent.

To me, it comes down to: Would the Dolphins take the Cowboys 2nd round pick in a trade?

If that question can be answered then any variations can be estimated based on that (i.e. Taco plus a 3rd, etc.).

jaythecowboy

Reaction score

I don't disagree with you on the Dolphins wanting picks. I'm just saying you can sweeten the pot with players. I don't want to send multiple high picks for him and if another team does, so be it, we miss out on this particular player.

No team even wants to send the Dolphins a 1st. If they got a first they would jump at it.

Plankton

Reaction score
CBSSports is saying the Cowboys have some interest "at the right price".

giphy.gif

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Normally I would not expect the Cowboys to be interested in this type of trade; however...

The financial side of it somewhat fits with something Stephen Jones would be interested in doing.

I think it might be to play him at CB more than at Safety but with both Jones and Brown being free agents after the season, MFitz has to be an appealing concept to Cowboys management.

The problem is that the Cowboys are not going to promise him an immediate staring job.

It’s just too perfect all around but I’m sure our compensation won’t look as good as someone else’s.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score

Miami doesn't necessarily want to get rid of him but they're willing to listen to see if a team is willing to knock their socks off and fork over a first and a second round pick or somthing to that effect

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Miami doesn't necessarily want to get rid of him but they're willing to listen to see if a team is willing to knock their socks off and fork over a first and a second round pick or somthing to that effect

The relationship between him and the team right now pretty much guarantees he will be moved. They aren't going to give him away, but he is as good as gone.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pro Football Focus is making enough money to fund 261 employees! All 32 teams subscribe to PFF...at considerable cost.

If GMs, coaches, & insiders find it valuable...I can only chuckle at fans who utterly dismiss it. PFF invests 300-plus man hours per game.

Those entities pay for their stats, not their evaluations of players.

PFF does have value in stats they collect.

It does require someone watching game footage to create stats such as pass locations (i.e. right, middle, left & short, deep).

NFL teams don't care about the "grades" that PFF gives NFL players.

PFF can sell to 32 teams and even if they charge $1000 per year, that's only 320K.

If PFF can con fans into paying $100 per year, then 1 million fans at $100 per year is 100 million per year.

They are attempting to use their stats business to legitimize their analysis business.

It's a common business strategy to leverage one product to sell another.