Dolphins Grant S Minkah Fitzpatrick Permission to Seek Trade **merged**

tyke1doe

Reaction score
JMO, but Anthony Brown, who will be a free agent after the season, isn't very enticing. We would literally get better value by trading Brown to a team more interested in winning in 2019 an trading that pick+our second for Fitzpatrick
Fair enough.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why wouldn't a team give up a 1 for him? He was the #11 overall pick in 2018 and had a rookie season where he played in all 16 games with 2 interceptions, one returned for a TD, and 80 tackles. This isn't some reject that isn't panning out for Miami. He's a secondary building block type player that Miami would be crazy to let go for less than a 1.

If the Dolphins thought he had lived up to the #11 overall pick, then why trade him?

Why trade away a building block that is under team control from a contract perspective for 4 more years?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
And Taco is the answer............don' think so!!!!

Could be, actually. If he goes there and performs well by the time his contract ends, then they'd be able to also gain a comp pick for him. Sort of trading a 2 and a possible 4 or 5 for him. That's not bad ammo.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With regards to trading for Minkah Fitzpatrick, from a realistic (not jesting) perspective, I would just leave out players like Taco or other Cowboys players.

The real question is what draft pick would they really take for MFitz and what are the real issues with him?

Normally I would not advocate giving up anything significant for a player when his team is willing to trade him after 1 year.

However, the situation in Miami seems odd and while MFitz has not proven his draft status per se, he has not really failed either from what I can see.

Giving up a 2nd for a previous year's high 1st round pick would be interesting even if the player has not been what was expected based on his draft status.

Just from a financial perspective they get 4 years from him if the trade happened now which is all they get with any 2nd round pick.

They get the player about 8 months early as compared to the player they would get with the pick.

The cost is about 6M for 3 years plus the cost of year 4 which is the 5th year option and will be about 14M.

That's 4 years, 20M, 5M average.

Byron Jones with a good year will get 16M or more per.

Even Anthony Brown is likely to get 8M per as a free agent. Maybe more.

MFitz's agent is the same as for Cooper and Cooper has not held out prior to completing the rookie contract.

The Cowboys are hopefully picking very late in the round making it almost a 3rd round pick.

The agent is the one seeking the trading partner which could be good for the Cowboys if the Cowboys are really interested.

The downside is the player's reluctance to play certain positions, primarily Strong Safety.

He is not quite typical SS size but he often played up near the line in college and looked much more like he could play SS than 2019 fan favorite Juan Thornhill.

Minkah Fitzpatrick
Height: 6'-1/8"
Weight: 204
40 Yard Dash (ET): 4.46
20 Yard: 2.58
10 Yard: 1.52
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 14
Vertical Jump: 33
Broad Jump: 10'01"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.13
3-Cone Drill: 6.73
Hand: 09 3/8
Arm: 31 1/4
Wingspan: 75 1/8
Miami is a disaster and must be a toxic environment. I think it's entirely possible a player could have completely different views on his role once he moves to a place where he feels his contributions are appreciated and really making a difference. They'd have to talk to the player to see how it might work (you never really know until he gets here though--he probably doesn't know himself). I could see them moving someone like him all over the field, including filling the SS-type role a fair amount of the time.

I think you're spot on about how Miami may end up taking a second-round pick, but they may not find our second-round pick sufficient. Depends on what offers they get. Maybe Bill O'Brien will offer them the rest of his 2020 draft.

USMarineVet

Reaction score
I played ball for St. Peter's Prep H.S. in Jersey City, N.J. Same alma mater as Minkah. Would love to see the kid come on board just for the fact we shared the same field. Hoping the asking price isn't too high because the Cowboys are more important than my pipe dream. o_O

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I want to see what Wilson is 1st before tradihg for a safety.

They say Miami has him as a backup. Presumably means they don't value him much. At a good price we should just take him. Heath, Frazier, and Thompson are all in their final years.

Reaction score
If the Dolphins thought he had lived up to the #11 overall pick, then why trade him?

Why trade away a building block that is under team control from a contract perspective for 4 more years?

Because he is disgruntled and doesn’t want to be there

CashMan

Reaction score

I would assume the reports of multiple players asking for a trade, kicks in a clause in the Player Union agreement. They don't actually have to trade him, unless they receive the value they want for him.

Mr_437

Reaction score
DAL and MIA have already done business with the Quinn Trade. So, Stephen has that in his favor, but I just think the asking price will be too steep for Mr. Jones.

Fitzpatrick n Awuzie at CB next year???

clff15701

Reaction score
The Dolphins are the worst team in the league. If Fitzpatrick cant start for them that tells you all you need to know.

J12B

Reaction score
You have to ask why he isn't starting! Something is wrong if a pick was drafted that high and is riding the pine.

Because Dolphins are tanking and they don't want to have their one player worthy of a high draft pick as compensation getting hurt.

J12B

Reaction score
The Dolphins are the worst team in the league. If Fitzpatrick cant start for them that tells you all you need to know.

Because Dolphins are tanking and they don't want to have their one player worthy of a high draft pick as compensation getting hurt.

Are you serious? You don't think they're tanking. Please don't ever post again.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I am curious.

Do you think the Cowboys are awesome at every position? Any time someone talks about acquiring a player or signing someone in FA, you seem to take the position that what we already have is better.
I don't know if he believes what we have is better, or if he simply thinks we have what we can afford to have at the moment.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Fun Fact. When Minkah was in high school in 2014, on this forum I predicted he would be the Cowboys 2018 1st round pick

I was wrong, but may end being pretty close. Fingers crossed.

clff15701

Reaction score

Are you serious? You don't think they're tanking. Please don't ever post again.
Don't ever post again because I don't believe they are tanking? There isn't one NFL team that isn't trying to win games in week one of the season.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
They aren't tanking its the second game of the year.

They were tanking before the first one. Go look at the roster moves they made and it's obvious they were dumping salaries and hoarding draft picks.

clff15701

Reaction score
They are dumping salaries but they still want their players to improve each week. The browns tank every year but still try to win some games.