Dolphins looking to trade up from 18th into top 10. Should Cowboys answer?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Meanwhile Dallas at #10, eyes a freakin' CB that is passive non-impactful island-player that plays 25 yards from the line of scrimmage.
He also is the highest or second highest rated defensive player on their board. Remember the draft mantra - draft your board.

Reactions: CWR

jnday

Reaction score
C’mon, man - that’s just dumb thinking. We can still get a starter at 18 (Farley, Horn, Darrisaw) AND get a 2nd starter at 50 Bolten or Browning) for ONE PICK.
If you value good talent more than elite talent, you would have a point. I would rather have a D.Ware than a Lawrence and Gregory, if you understand that comparison.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
If we can grab Parsons at 18, that would be a win.

No it would not......Parson is going to prison for rape. Would be just like Jerry to take a gamble on a guy like this....thinking he can buy his way out of it. :rolleyes:

conner01

Reaction score
The value on defense is in rounds 2-4 anyway. I would be down with this trade. Drop to 18 and take Farley, Darrisaw, Newsome, Barrmore, JOK, or Moehrig. Then we can add another 4 players in the top 100.
I’d rather trade later picks to add a second rather than trading down unless we just flat rob a team

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Notice the period after absolutely?
Notice how you typed they can't leave the draft without a DT and S?

There is a very strong chance they ignore DT in particular since we are so dripping with talent there and this is a historically bad class.

ESisback

Reaction score
All of the elite players will be gone by the 18th pick. That is a certainty.

Maybe. The HOF is full of people picked after 18, and this draft has lots of good players on defense in the first three rounds. Five good picks out of the top 100 could go a long way to fix this D.

Proof

Reaction score
This is one of those occasions where I’d like Miami to get a higher pick before we make a deal for 10. If they could get 12-14 that’s the trade down I’d feel comfortable with.

even though they’re wheeling and dealing I don’t see them reading up to 12-14 just to then trade for 10. They’d just trade for 8-10

jnday

Reaction score
Maybe. The HOF is full of people picked after 18, and this draft has lots of good players on defense in the first three rounds. Five good picks out of the top 100 could go a long way to fix this D.
I was referring to the elite talent in this draft. Most of the elite players are going to have good careers. Of course their are other players that will turn out well, but it is much harder to find elite talent in the third round. 5 good picks in the top 100 picks could be decent starters if all of them even make the team. Out of those five picks, the odds are that two will be decent starters and the other three might could make the team as backups . All of that is fine with me unless they were in the position to draft an elite player and trade away to draft lower graded talent. Elite talent is Troy, Michael, Deion, Emmitt, etc. . The elite talent is players like Troy, Micheal, Emmitt, Ware and Tyron. These players elite and their careers reflects it.

JBond

Reaction score
No it would not......Parson is going to prison for rape. Would be just like Jerry to take a gamble on a guy like this....thinking he can buy his way out of it. :rolleyes:
Hey floaty... you and a couple others I like have said similar things. Can you link me an article? Much appreciated.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
2021 NFL Draft Rumors: Dolphins looking to trade up for second top-ten pick?

usa_today_12589570.0.jpg

Christopher Hanewinckel-USA TODAY Sports

The Miami Dolphins have already been busy in the 2021 NFL Draft, trading out of the third position, back to the 12th spot, then back up to the sixth-overall pick. Rumors over the past few days have the Dolphins considering another trade, with the common though that Miami could trade back to add additional picks either this year or in 2022. Now, however, there is some speculation that Miami could be looking to trade up, but not from the sixth spot, but rather from their second first-round pick, the 18th-overall selection.

https://www-thephinsider-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.thephinsider.com/platform/amp/2021/4/24/22401377/2021-nfl-draft-rumors-dolphins-looking-to-trade-for-second-top-ten-pick?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=#aoh=16193223977578&csi=0&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.thephinsider.com/2021/4/24/22401377/2021-nfl-draft-rumors-dolphins-looking-to-trade-for-second-top-ten-pick

Dolphins currently own the (1st round) 6th, 18th and (2nd round) 50th overall picks (in RED) within the first 2 rounds.

The Cowboys own the (1st round) 10th and (2nd round) 44th overall picks (in GREEN) within the first 2 rounds.

Photo-Marker-Apr252021-001647.jpg

If the Cowboys and Dolphins agreed to make a trade:

Dolphins move up from the 18th pick and get the Cowboys 10th overall pick, the Cowboys would move down 8 spots and get the Dolphins 18th overall pick while also getting the Dolphins 50th overall pick. Those 2 picks (18th & 50th) would equal the trade value (700 points difference) to trade away the 10th overall pick to the Dolphins. That would move the Cowboys down 8 spots in the 1st round, but it would also give the Cowboys another mid-2nd round pick, thus giving them 2 picks in every round (2nd, 3rd & 4th rounds) while still having a pick in the teens in the 1st round (Cowboys have snatched up great players in the teens spot in the 1st round in the past).

Photo-Marker-Apr252021-001322.jpg

Would you rather stay put and only have 1 pick to use in each first 2 rounds, or would you make the trade down while still getting a 1st round pick in the teens while grabbing an extra mid-2nd round pick, thus securing 2 picks in each round (2nd, 3rd & 4th rounds)?

Lots of holes to fill on this team, especially Defense.

What say you? Should the Cowboys trade down a few picks in the 1st round while gaining an extra mid-2nd round pick or stay pat?

:starspin:

:popcorn:
Trade back

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
By most people's accounts nary a pro bowler or or hall of famer has ever been found after mid-way thru the first round. Despite plentiful evidence to the contrary.
Roger Staubach (drafted 10th round) says HI!

Calvin Hill (drafted 24th overall) says HI!

Duane Thomas (drafted 23rd overall) says HI!

Billy Joe DuPree (drafted 20th overall) says HI!

Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson (drafted 18th overall) says HI!

Harvey Martin (drafted 53rd overall) says HI!

Drew Pearson (undrafted 1973) says HI!

Larry Bethea (drafted 28th overall) says HI!

Nate Newton (undrafted 1983) says HI!

Mark Tuinei (undrafted 1983) says HI!

Kevin Gogan (drafted 206th overall) says HI!

Mark Stepnoski (drafted 53rd overall) says HI!

Emmitt Smith (drafted 17th overall) says HI!

Erik Williams (drafted 70th overall) says HI!

Kevin Smith (drafted 17th overall) says HI!

Robert Jones (drafted 24th overall) says HI!

Larry Allen (drafted 46th overall) says HI!

Tony Romo (undrafted 2003) says HI!

Jason Witten (drafted 69th overall) says HI!

DeMarco Murray (drafted 71st overall) says HI!

Dez Bryant (drafted 24th overall) says HI!

Dak Prescott (drafted 135th overall) says HI!

CeeDee Lamb (drafted 17th overall) says HI!

Etc, etc, etc...Apologies for clearly leaving many more Cowboys stud players (Pro Bowlers, All Pros & HOF'ers) out.
:flagwave:

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I was referring to the elite talent in this draft. Most of the elite players are going to have good careers. Of course their are other players that will turn out well, but it is much harder to find elite talent in the third round. 5 good picks in the top 100 picks could be decent starters if all of them even make the team. Out of those five picks, the odds are that two will be decent starters and the other three might could make the team as backups . All of that is fine with me unless they were in the position to draft an elite player and trade away to draft lower graded talent. Elite talent is Troy, Michael, Deion, Emmitt, etc. . The elite talent is players like Troy, Micheal, Emmitt, Ware and Tyron. These players elite and their careers reflects it.
Emmitt was drafted at 17th overall. :eek:;):D

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
If the goal is drafting good players, trade down. If the goal of this draft is to get elite talent, you make the pick at 10. It is never a good ideal to trade out of a position where elite talent is available. This draft is kind of different, since there is a lack of elite talent on the defensive side of the ball. It really boils down to the players that are still available with the 10th pick. I tend to favor trading up to get elite talent instead of trading back and getting less talented players.

Trading up would only work where we are 1 or 2 players away from being a complete team and you were looking at filling one of those positions.

Trading up for us, with so many defensive holes and concerns with health on the offense really isnt going to be helped by trading away 2nd/3rd/4th round talent for a highlight reel.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Notice how you typed they can't leave the draft without a DT and S?

There is a very strong chance they ignore DT in particular since we are so dripping with talent there and this is a historically bad class.

It's not that the DT class is poor, it's that the rushing, 3-down DT class is poor. There are enough 1-tech run blocking DT's available in the 2nd-4th rounds.

It we can't improve through the long ball, lets do it incrementally. D-Line run defense is a primary concern, without it pass rushing is irrelevant on 3rd and short.

plasticman

Reaction score
I would have to say no unless they added more picks.

To heck with fair, I want an outrageously unreasonable trade that is massively in favor of the Cowboys.

Besides, the Cowboys routinely busts on 2nd round picks. Why would we want two unless they could package the 2nd round pick with the compensatory 3rd and 4th picks to move back into the 1st round?

That way, the Cowboys would have two midrange 1st round picks along with their 2nd round pick that was #44 overall.

CWR

Reaction score

Given the effects of c19 these may very well be the most historically inaccurate draft slots we've ever seen. It wouldn't suprise me if we see a lot of suprise players out perform their draft slots, as well as a plethora of busts.

BigD_95

Reaction score
no way! Its too far down and we wouldn't be able to land Surtain or Horn