Dolphins looking to trade up from 18th into top 10. Should Cowboys answer?

dwreck27

Reaction score
They’ll have to overpay for the pick just because they have so much draft capital I’d test how bad they want to make that move

Moving down to 18 pretty much removes us from a lot of top players we had slated... all the corners, tackles, and everyone’s favorite TE will assuredly be gone

nobody

Reaction score
Hey floaty... you and a couple others I like have said similar things. Can you link me an article? Much appreciated.

I decided to search on this because I had heard nothing and came up with two links (without searching for more):

https://fox56.com/news/local/former-psu-football-player-gives-details-on-alleged-hazing-by-teammates
https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/draft...breaks-silence-about-alleged-character-issues

Sounds suspiciously like a sort of admission of guilt of some stuff in the second link.. and saying "that's not who I am anymore." But still if the allegations are true, there are character issues to consider.

J-man

Reaction score
I have mocked this exact trade scenario many times and have been pleased with the out come every time. The top tier studs are most likely all gone at 18, but there are so many very good players that can be had from 18-50 that landing 2 of them, at positions of need makes up for it.

Jipper

Reaction score
I have mocked this exact trade scenario many times and have been pleased with the out come every time. The top tier studs are most likely all gone at 18, but there are so many very good players that can be had from 18-50 that landing 2 of them, at positions of need makes up for it.

Sounds like most of the top tier guys will be gone by 10 anyway....everything I'm reading (and I know little about college so have to rely on what I can read) states that this is a weak top draft with a ton of value late 1st through 3rd/4th...

Basically lot of really good guys but not a ton of great guys.

I still think if we can get 5 picks in the top 100 by one trade down and bundling a bunch of our lower picks for one trade up, we can get substantially better without mortgaging the future.

I'd love to see 4 defensive players...cb,s,lb, dt and one oline pick in the top 100....that would be massive and it's certainly very doable with 10 picks to use to move around

jnday

Reaction score
Emmitt was drafted at 17th overall. :eek:;):D
Which falls within the usual boundaries where elite talent is found. It may varies a position or two from year to year, , but elite players can be drafted in the mid first round. Some draft classes may have 20 players that is considered elite while other may have 12. If you can see the players with first round grades, you can see that they are elite picks. They only last until the late teens in the drafting order for most drafts and then there are only 2nd round talent behind them.

quickccc

Reaction score
For me it would depend on who’s left on the board when pick 10 comes up.

If Pitts, Sewell, and Surtain are all gone? I’d consider it.

then i'd think it would depend upon how much the Cowboys like CB Horn, how close is he to that Group A,... how close is he to comparisons with Surtain ?
is it Ear to Ear ? .. or Head vs Shoulders ?

- After that, does OL guy Rashawn Slater's name come up ? ..Me: what position does Slater project to in Cowboys eyes ?
yes, depending upon the group Cowboys have boarded at 10th overall, …

quickccc

Reaction score
Totally Agree, Dolphins want the #10 pick they need to pay a Premium...dont care what the Chart value says,....the drop in talent is just to much. No Way....

The Cowboys were a HORRIBLE team in 2020...No Talent on the Defense...they need talent not more role players.

I disagree that there is NO talent.
However I do agree that we need MORE talent.

- I think Diggs and Wilson have talent, Gregory is probably our most pure athletically talent-gifted player,imo.
- Dlaw is talented to a degree albeit overrated as touted as one of premiere DEs;
- I saw what LVE did his rookie year but other issues has slowed him
- it's been a few flashes but still a jury out/wait and see on Gallimore/Hill.

wrongway

Reaction score
Roger Staubach (drafted 10th round) says HI!

Calvin Hill (drafted 24th overall) says HI!

Duane Thomas (drafted 23rd overall) says HI!

Billy Joe DuPree (drafted 20th overall) says HI!

Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson (drafted 18th overall) says HI!

Harvey Martin (drafted 53rd overall) says HI!

Drew Pearson (undrafted 1973) says HI!

Larry Bethea (drafted 28th overall) says HI!

Nate Newton (undrafted 1983) says HI!

Mark Tuinei (undrafted 1983) says HI!

Kevin Gogan (drafted 206th overall) says HI!

Mark Stepnoski (drafted 53rd overall) says HI!

Emmitt Smith (drafted 17th overall) says HI!

Erik Williams (drafted 70th overall) says HI!

Kevin Smith (drafted 17th overall) says HI!

Robert Jones (drafted 24th overall) says HI!

Larry Allen (drafted 46th overall) says HI!

Tony Romo (undrafted 2003) says HI!

Jason Witten (drafted 69th overall) says HI!

DeMarco Murray (drafted 71st overall) says HI!

Dez Bryant (drafted 24th overall) says HI!

Dak Prescott (drafted 135th overall) says HI!

CeeDee Lamb (drafted 17th overall) says HI!

Etc, etc, etc...Apologies for clearly leaving many more Cowboys stud players (Pro Bowlers, All Pros & HOF'ers) out.
:flagwave:
Exactly my point. Thanks for the work

ESisback

Reaction score
Given the effects of c19 these may very well be the most historically inaccurate draft slots we've ever seen. It wouldn't suprise me if we see a lot of suprise players out perform their draft slots, as well as a plethora of busts.

Yep! The pandemic has eliminated a lot of the “up close and personal” stuff, and desperate teams are speculating and overreacting more. Things seem more tenuous than ever.

CWR

Reaction score
Yep! The pandemic has eliminated a lot of the “up close and personal” stuff, and desperate teams are speculating and overreacting more. Things seem more tenuous than ever.

I'm hoping against hope this gives us an advantage as I believe we have a better scouting department than most. That said our failures are well known.

lk8701

Reaction score
It makes sense for them. They could get Pitts at 6 and maybe Devonta Smith or Waddle at 10. I would ask for their 2nd and 3rd round picks. I'm very confident Farley will be available at 18.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Depends on who's available at 10 and who they think might be at 18. If we get enough from Mia we could move back up as well
Opening up a trade makes it wide open for us to do good in a trade plus we might trade lots in this draft. Yikes.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I decided to search on this because I had heard nothing and came up with two links (without searching for more):

https://fox56.com/news/local/former-psu-football-player-gives-details-on-alleged-hazing-by-teammates
https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/draft...breaks-silence-about-alleged-character-issues

Sounds suspiciously like a sort of admission of guilt of some stuff in the second link.. and saying "that's not who I am anymore." But still if the allegations are true, there are character issues to consider.
Try TMZ.....after reading that story....no way you would want anything to do with him.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Sometimes I feel we trade down just so we can look good.... come across as smart. If a defender is there at 10 we take him... forget trading down. Especially when your two division rivals are behind you and will prob take defensive players as well. We need talent on this team. Elite players.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would be willing to listen to offers, I know there is a value chart on draft trades but that is not some holy bible that teams must abide by. If someone wants to move up into the Cowboys spot bad enough they will pay more and if not then I am happy to make the pick at 10.

Scotman

Reaction score
Before we trade down, I think I'd rather trade away our 5th, both 6th and our 7th round picks to get back into the 4th. Or...both our 6th round picks and our 7th round pick to get back into the 5th. If there was anyone wanting to let me bundle those picks up, I'd trade in a heartbeat. 11 rookies aren't liokely to make this squad (or any squad). I'd rather move up for one guy who has a chance of sticking.

DRella

Reaction score
If it means picking up the 18th, another 2nd rounder and swap of our 5th rounder for their 3rd rounder. I do it in a heart beat.

Additional 2nd round and 3rd round pick give us the ability to move back into the 1st round.