Don’t let the big names guide your thinking

John813

Reaction score
If the Cowboys sign Poe, then this theory may be retired during the McCarthy era.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Staubachs last pass with the Cowboys was to his own OL ending our hopes of a third straight SB appearance.

I have a feeling Patriot fans won’t hold Brady’s last pass as a lasting memory anymore than we do Roger’s.

It’s beginning to sound more and more by some fans here they are letting their personal feelings with Brady effect their better judgement.

This isn’t directed towards you but this thought spurred my reaction.

I see, fans sitting on their couches know more than the two men, belicheat and Kraft, who actually know more about Brady's football skills than any other two men alive, that have decided that after all he did for their team that his current talent level is not worth hanging on to. And don't come back with belicheat's history of releasing player early rather than too late because if that was true with Brady he would have been gone long ago based on what the average length of a starting QB career is.

Now I didn't say the patriot fans were going to hold that last pass against Brady, but unlike the case with Staubach who did retire after that last pass, Brady who must be after former QB turned kicker George Blanda's record of 26 seasons doesn't mean that he still has it anymore. This a lot like how disappointed many were that Ali came back to fight Larry Holmes and then a year later to fight Trevor Berbick. No matter how much his skills had dropped, he thought he could still be a champion.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I see, fans sitting on their couches know more than the two men, belicheat and Kraft, who actually know more about Brady's football skills than any other two men alive, that have decided that after all he did for their team that his current talent level is not worth hanging on to. And don't come back with belicheat's history of releasing player early rather than too late because if that was true with Brady he would have been gone long ago based on what the average length of a starting QB career is.

Now I didn't say the patriot fans were going to hold that last pass against Brady, but unlike the case with Staubach who did retire after that last pass, Brady who must be after former QB turned kicker George Blanda's record of 26 seasons doesn't mean that he still has it anymore. This a lot like how disappointed many were that Ali came back to fight Larry Holmes and then a year later to fight Trevor Berbick. No matter how much his skills had dropped, he thought he could still be a champion.
I’d argue like many great athletes they’re never ready to give it up despite regressing ability and diminishing skills. Injury is usually what ends it for them before their competitive lust deflates.

For some reason we have fans that don’t want to watch these great competitive talents of their eras continuing to perform past their peaks which appears to be more about their selfish desires than the players.

Obviously there’s still demand for his diminishing skills . And I salute him for his relentless passion to continue. He doesn’t have to be at his peak to appreciate.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Technically it was last year when Brady won the Super Bowl but it was TWO Super Bowls ago. As far as Brady goes with the patriots, his last pass for the patriots was a pick six.
Someone other than Dak threw a bad pass? Its not possible.

Yah, bad ending for Brady. His legacy will be fine, however.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I’d argue like many great athletes they’re never ready to give it up despite regressing ability and diminishing skills. Injury is usually what ends it for them before their competitive lust deflates.

For some reason we have fans that don’t want to watch these great competitive talents of their eras continuing to perform past their peaks which appears to be more about their selfish desires than the players.

Obviously there’s still demand for his diminishing skills . And I salute him for his relentless passion to continue. He doesn’t have to be at his peak to appreciate.

What you said about a players desire and has to have a injury to end their careers is true some of the time. Some decide that they would rather retire before that injury happens that may affect the rest of their lives and their family's lives. Some desire to retire because they don't want to be known as one of those players who just hung on as long as they could even if they who were once really good players but end up as a backup or just a situational player.

Just look at how many fans who have been big Witten fans who think it was a mistake for Witten to come back last season and to play again this season. It's clear to even his biggest fans that he doesn't have the same skill level he once had so those fans should cheer that Witten is continuing to play?

Most fans want their team to win and they realize that to do that it takes talent not players who once had that talent but still do have that talent. If players can't see that it's time to hung it up, fans shouldn't be happy for them or appreciate them because they haven't made the right decisions.

lqmac1

Reaction score
Eliminated by the hottest team during the last 6 weeks
leading into the playoffs. Oh, the shame... lol/smh

We lost to Sam Darnold and the Jets.
You should probably read what I wrote and not what I meant. I simply responded to correct the OP.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Someone other than Dak threw a bad pass? Its not possible.

Yah, bad ending for Brady. His legacy will be fine, however.

I'm sure the patriot fans aren't going to hold that last pass against him, but why would the two men who know more about Brady's skills, belicheat and Kraft, who probably could have gotten Brady for the same amount as what he signed for with Tampa, decide that he wasn't worth that anymore?

If Brady and the Bucs don't go deep into the playoffs and instead struggle all year you don't think that will at least hurts some on Brady's legacy? The GOAT that didn't know it was time to retire and be remembered as the GOAT that played on and tarnished that legacy.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A name player is viewed as a special asset by the owner. He's more about marquis value than most because he sees the entertainment value and promotional possibilities. The game to him is different form any other owner.

Booger is a director that wants a few stars and a lot of extras. Belichick is all about the role players. Booger is content with his production and announces it ready. Belichick is never content and is always looking at his production with a critical eye.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm sure the patriot fans aren't going to hold that last pass against him, but why would the two men who know more about Brady's skills, belicheat and Kraft, who probably could have gotten Brady for the same amount as what he signed for with Tampa, decide that he wasn't worth that anymore?

If Brady and the Bucs don't go deep into the playoffs and instead struggle all year you don't think that will at least hurts some on Brady's legacy? The GOAT that didn't know it was time to retire and be remembered as the GOAT that played on and tarnished that legacy.

Brady was the one that cut the ties. And at some point, you have to move on. Everything comes to an end.

Nothing can Tarnish Brady's legacy. Impossible.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Brady was the one that cut the ties. And at some point, you have to move on. Everything comes to an end.

Nothing can Tarnish Brady's legacy. Impossible.

Lets be at least a little truthful. Brady made that big announcement AFTER free agency started and AFTER the patriots didn't even make an offer to him prior to free agency starting.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Lets be at least a little truthful. Brady made that big announcement AFTER free agency started and AFTER the patriots didn't even make an offer to him prior to free agency starting.

Its all out there for you to read on exactly what happened. Brady was over it and wanted the challenge of moving on.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Its all out there for you to read on exactly what happened. Brady was over it and wanted the challenge of moving on.

And that's why he didn't do it until after free agency started and after the patriots didn't even offer a contract to him before free agency started.

RoboQB

Reaction score
You should probably read what I wrote and not what I meant. I simply responded to correct the OP.

You wrote "Brady got eliminated by the Titans".
I know you wrote it because I read it.

What you wrote was in response to another poster
saying people should stop doubting Brady.

Perhaps you should think before you type.
Also, own up to iyour posts instead of back tracking.
People will begin to respect you for it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I believe the thinking is for most NFL teams, you don’t keep a 32 year old backup WR up on your roster who will literally only decline in ability. And even at the veteran minimum, he would cost more than most rookies with nothing but upside.

It would be different if Dez was still starter quality. But he’s not. There are some older WRs who can play as a starter well into their mid 30s as a starter, and at a high price tag. But #3 or #4 receivers? It makes no sense to keep an older, injury prone WR who would just keep a younger backup WR from developing.

Funny, I said "older, injury prone WR" about Cobb. "Injury prone" Dez played every game in 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2017, averaging over 140 targets. That's a bell cow, not a guy who is injury prone and can't make the field. I think he was physically ground down from years of play while injured. Well, he's had 2 years of time to heal up and the load on him would be much lower as WR#3.

For years Jerry used to play the WR corps as a development squad, and time after time it bit us in the *** come the end of the season when injuries left us lacking competent WR play.

Who is our backup to Gallup and Cooper? I like Smith, but as a role player, while the team seems to hate him, as they wouldn't even make him active, leaving him still an unknown. Cobb and Austin gone. Ventell Bryant? Cedrick Wilson? We've got nobody.

We need at least one competent backup WR. Also, one solid veteran receiver to move the chains. We get that with a veteran signing. Like Dez.

You wanna draft a rookie who's not going to get starter snaps to be our primary backup to Gallup and Cooper? How high a pick do you want to spend?

A number of seasons were lost for lack of competent WRs available to be put on the field come crunch time. 2007 probably the most brutal example. Let's not do that again.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What you said about a players desire and has to have a injury to end their careers is true some of the time. Some decide that they would rather retire before that injury happens that may affect the rest of their lives and their family's lives. Some desire to retire because they don't want to be known as one of those players who just hung on as long as they could even if they who were once really good players but end up as a backup or just a situational player.

Just look at how many fans who have been big Witten fans who think it was a mistake for Witten to come back last season and to play again this season. It's clear to even his biggest fans that he doesn't have the same skill level he once had so those fans should cheer that Witten is continuing to play?

Most fans want their team to win and they realize that to do that it takes talent not players who once had that talent but still do have that talent. If players can't see that it's time to hung it up, fans shouldn't be happy for them or appreciate them because they haven't made the right decisions.
I understand but it’s not really up to fans to make that call. If teams feel players can still contribute then they should be the determining factor not the fans wishes.

Fans see they aren’t as talented as they once were and assume they aren’t as talented as some down the roster.

Witten might not be good enough to start but could still contribute more than some 2nd and 3rd stringers. Plus these seasoned veterans bring experience as well often in critical moments in the game while serving as mentors on the sidelines, etc.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I understand but it’s not really up to fans to make that call. If teams feel players can still contribute then they should be the determining factor not the fans wishes.

Fans see they aren’t as talented as they once were and assume they aren’t as talented as some down the roster.

Witten might not be good enough to start but could still contribute more than some 2nd and 3rd stringers. Plus these seasoned veterans bring experience as well often in critical moments in the game while serving as mentors on the sidelines, etc.

Again what you said has some truth. The point I was making is when we see players like Witten who's play dropped considerably last season it makes fans think why tarnish their legacy by just hanging on a couple more years. The point being before Witten left to go to the both to call games most even outside of the Cowboys world thought Witten will get to the HOF and maybe even on a first ballot. Now doing the hanging on thing the voters will have that fresh in the minds and it could effect their voting, at least the first couple of ballots. Ya Witten MIGHT be able to bring something but what? His speed isn't much better than an offensive lineman's speed now. He's not going to do much of anything except be a safety valve type of receiver on or around the line of scrimmage. He no longer has the speed to break into the open on 10 - 15 yard passes. His hands are no longer the sure hands he once had. The past couple of seasons he's had a lot of false starts because he knew he had to have even the slightest jump on things to try to get open. So it boils down to whether it's fans opinion it makes them wonder what coaches see to use up a valuable roster spot on a once great player who's nowhere close to that anymore. Veteran leadership is great but there has to be more than a few plays sprinkled in to make that worth doing. As I've said many times before we as fans have to defer to what professional coaches decide but that doesn't change us fans from wondering.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A name player is viewed as a special asset by the owner. He's more about marquis value than most because he sees the entertainment value and promotional possibilities. The game to him is different form any other owner.

Booger is a director that wants a few stars and a lot of extras. Belichick is all about the role players. Booger is content with his production and announces it ready. Belichick is never content and is always looking at his production with a critical eye.
Coach, I like the movie director analogy- I think it aptly applies here. And I like comparing the “directing styles” of Belichick vs Jerry.

Belechick is all about his movie being a good story. If he has a good story to tell, he can do that with an “ensemble” cast that will draw attention to the story, not a bunch of movie stars.

As you pointed out, Jerry is the star centric director. To him, the stars ARE the story. Whereas Belechick directs a movie that can be told by competent actors with a good director. In the end, it’s usually the good story that wins the Oscar, while the star vehicle movies aren’t as good, they typically do well at the box office.

We need a new director by the way.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Coach, I like the movie director analogy- I think it aptly applies here. And I like comparing the “directing styles” of Belichick vs Jerry.

Belechick is all about his movie being a good story. If he has a good story to tell, he can do that with an “ensemble” cast that will draw attention to the story, not a bunch of movie stars.

As you pointed out, Jerry is the star centric director. To him, the stars ARE the story. Whereas Belechick directs a movie that can be told by competent actors with a good director. In the end, it’s usually the good story that wins the Oscar, while the star vehicle movies aren’t as good, they typically do well at the box office.

We need a new director by the way.

Sorry we are the Dallas Jonesboys and are trendsetters, not followers. Belachik's dynasty is a blueprint for NFL success as is the Pats organization but our top priorities in Dallas are as follows.
  1. Jerry has the last word in all football operations (i.e., he gets to play with his toy train, he gets to play fantasy football with HIS team) winning be damned.
  2. #1 includes Jerry being the phantom head coach.
  3. Jerry conducts as many interviews and gets as much face-time with the media as humanly possible. Being a rock star is one of his biggest highs.
  4. Being the most profitable and increasing the bottom line profits (an excellent goal unless it is a higher priority than winning and making deep playoff runs (remember those?).
  5. Having the best, biggest stajum to flaunt wealth all that glitters is gold. Unfortunately very few games in Dallas are home games.
  6. Making deep playoff runs means relinquishing control and control is the top priority. The silver anniversary of playoff futility is here, and Jerry has done a great job ensuring we are never "deep playoff" relevant by still controlling every facet of the organization.
  7. Sky Mirror and Gene's stajum artwork are just a bonus.

lqmac1

Reaction score
You wrote "Brady got eliminated by the Titans".
I know you wrote it because I read it.

What you wrote was in response to another poster
saying people should stop doubting Brady.

Perhaps you should think before you type.
Also, own up to iyour posts instead of back tracking.
People will begin to respect you for it.
I responded to a guy that said he went to the Super Bowl last year. Lol relax it’s just a message board.