Don’t panic. Drink some Coffee; Skip the Koolaide

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Coaching , injuries and weaknesses in key areas are all being torched in our local papers. And rightfully so.

Look across the isle at our opponents. They had an offense without All Pro OL, arguably the best receiving corp and leagues leading rusher but they put together a game plan which is effective. I think Goff definitely looked like the better QB too.

Our talent is over touted and our weaknesses aren’t touted enough. Same ole same ole in this eyes fan despite the mistakes in coaching.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I’m not surprised at the overreaction of so many fans after last night’s game. Before the season started, the overconfidence here was laughable. It’s not time to panic or act like one game defines this team for 15 more games. That too is laughable. Sure, it was a disappointing start, but it is certainly NOT fatal.

What I encourage every Cowboys fan to do this morning is drink some coffee and skip the Koolaide. It will make you feel better to stop drinking the Koolaide that overlooks this team’s weaknesses. Drinking the coffee takes in both the team’s strengths and weaknesses.

Here’s some coffee which looks at the good and bad:
  • This team lost last night because their defense gave up 422 yards, including 163 on the ground to an average running game. That has to improve.
  • The defense had a problem stopping the run last night, but there are signs its pass rush will be potent. Aldon Smith and Everson Griffith really do look like great additions.
  • The offense is always harder to to be in sync to start the season. It looked good at times, and out of sync at times.
  • Dak Prescott had a very good game; just didn’t have a great game. As bad as the D played, if that ticky- tac PI call wasn’t made, we would be talking about the great pass Dak made to Gallup.
  • The OL was missing two key starters, used a UFA rookie tackle, who wasn’t great but wasn’t awful either. Under Garrett, missing a starter on the OL seemed to always endanger our QB.
  • Injuries to LVE, Blake Jarwin and Cam Ervin are troublesome. But this is where coaching and the FO matters. Coach up what you have, and hope the FO finds some help.
  • This was ONE GAME. Don’t panic. The rams aren’t chopped liver. They have an excellent HC and were playing at home on national TV opening their new stadium. Why is anyone surprised they played well?
This list could go on. But one other thing to remember: Don’t drink the Koolaide. The Cowboys have a lot of question marks to solve. Doesn’t mean they won’t. Just stay hopeful and realistic.

There’s a difference between hope and overconfidence. Hope is a good thing because it keeps you positive but still tied to reality. Overconfidence is fools gold. It over-values strengths and overlooks weaknesses. Like all NFL teams we have both.

Folks- I have news for all of us. Every single game on our schedule will be difficult. Drink some coffee and fasten your seatbelt.

But...but...I read that since JG was gone we were going 14-2 and winning the SB? :huh:

That game looked very much like several of last year's games, including a questionable penalty call and a dumb coaching decision, both of which were huge plays late in the game.

Another one-score loss. Still the "same old Cowboys" until proven otherwise.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I’m not surprised at the overreaction of so many fans after last night’s game. Before the season started, the overconfidence here was laughable. It’s not time to panic or act like one game defines this team for 15 more games. That too is laughable. Sure, it was a disappointing start, but it is certainly NOT fatal.

What I encourage every Cowboys fan to do this morning is drink some coffee and skip the Koolaide. It will make you feel better to stop drinking the Koolaide that overlooks this team’s weaknesses. Drinking the coffee takes in both the team’s strengths and weaknesses.

• This team lost last night because their defense gave up 422 yards, including 163 on the ground to an average running game. That has to improve.
  • The defense had a problem stopping the run last night, but there are signs its pass rush will be potent. Aldon Smith and Everson Griffith really do look like great additions.
  • The offense is always harder to to be in sync to start the season. It looked good at times, and out of sync at times.
  • Dak Prescott had a very good game; just didn’t have a great game. As bad as the D played, if that ticky- tac PI call wasn’t made, we would be talking about the great pass Dak made to Gallup.
  • The OL was missing two key starters, used a UFA rookie tackle, who wasn’t great but wasn’t awful either. Under Garrett, missing a starter on the OL seemed to always endanger our QB.
  • Injuries to LVE, Blake Jarwin and Cam Ervin are troublesome. But this is where coaching and the FO matters. Coach up what you have, and hope the FO finds some help.
  • This was ONE GAME. Don’t panic. The rams aren’t chopped liver. They have an excellent HC and were playing at home on national TV opening their new stadium. Why is anyone surprised they played well?
This list could go on. But one other thing to remember: Don’t drink the Koolaide. The Cowboys have a lot of question marks to solve. Doesn’t mean they won’t. Just stay hopeful and realistic.

There’s a difference between hope and overconfidence. Hope is a good thing because it keeps you positive but still tied to reality. Overconfidence is fools gold. It over-values strengths and overlooks weaknesses. Like all NFL teams we have both.

Folks- I have news for all of us. Every single game on our schedule will be difficult. Drink some coffee and fasten your seatbelt.

It is knee jerk Monday, the season is done and over with. lol Granted had Dallas pulled it off we would have claims of SB on the horizon. Reality is it is week 1, there are some good things that came out of the game and many things that they need to do better. Atlanta is next up and this team needs to learn from mistakes and get themselves ready to face Alt.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Blaming the defense for the loss is incorrect.

They may not have played to our expectations, but when they needed to make a stop they did. Had LA scored TDs instead of FGs, then a case could be made the defense lost the game.

The defense KEPT Dallas in the game waiting for the offense to make a play to tie or win the game. Unfortunately that never happened.

I heard this morning that Prescott went 10 for 22 and 79 yards in the second half, and the team converting only one 3rd down in second half. That's not winning football.

This loss is on the offense, followed by the coaches.
Totally agree. This offense has to put up more than 17 points. Our defense made enough stops in 4th qtr to provide an opportunity to come back and win the game.

This is the same ole story with our offense which is over touted. It’s either horrible play calling and execution or we have a weakness in talent at a key position.

We watched our opponent execute without as much talent supporting cast. What was the difference?

cern

Reaction score

well said, bob. wr's played well. dak played well. zeke and pollard played well. injuries suck. LVE is reminding me of young sean lee. fragile. but i'm enjoying a cup of coffee as i write. peets. major dickinson blend. if it's any solace, just think about how bad philly looked.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think I was right. Fans are going to enjoy or at least accept losing more with Mikey than the Clapper. Lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It is knee jerk Monday, the season is done and over with. lol Granted had Dallas pulled it off we would have claims of SB on the horizon. Reality is it is week 1, there are some good things that came out of the game and many things that they need to do better. Atlanta is next up and this team needs to learn from mistakes and get themselves ready to face Alt.
I havent read any article or beat writers say the season is over. But they are calling out our coaching , injuries and weaknesses.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score

Not panicking... but not glossing over serious concerns either. With Collins out at RT and nothing at TE— we can easily go 0-3.

Hate to say next week is “must win”— but if we want to make any noise this year— it pretty much is

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I havent read any article or beat writers say the season is over. But they are calling out our coaching , injuries and weaknesses.

I said nothing about beat writers was commenting on things being posted here. Of course coaches get called out they loss anytime you lose the coaches are question it happens to half the coaches in the league this weekend. We are in week 1 it is impossible to reach any conclusion of a 16 game season based on week 1. Then again I'm not one to get into knee jerk reaction negative or positive.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not panicking... but not glossing over serious concerns either. With Collins out at RT and nothing at TE— we can easily go 0-3.

Hate to say next week is “must win”— but if we want to make any noise this year— it pretty much is
The Homers will always gloss over it.

Its one game but It’s all we have to report on at this moment. If you don’t want part of that action I’d bow out until next week.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I said nothing about beat writers was commenting on things being posted here. Of course coaches get called out they loss anytime you lose the coaches are question it happens to half the coaches in the league this weekend. We are in week 1 it is impossible to reach any conclusion of a 16 game season based on week 1. Then again I'm not one to get into knee jerk reaction negative or positive.
I haven’t seen any knee jerk reactions yet. Just sound criticism .

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
this team looked like the same jason garrett coached teams that i have been watching not sure what the problem is but it runs deep this team has talent on paper but it dont seem that it translates to the football field looks like another 8 and 8 season and a qb who at the end of the year will want to be paid 40 millions dollars a year just to hard to get very excited about the dallas cowboys any more

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I guess that is in the eye of the beholder, I have seen some sound criticism and several over the top comments.
I think it is in the eye of the beholder.

Shoot, I was severely bashed earlier in the week for calling out those drinking the kool- aid.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think it is in the eye of the beholder.

Shoot, I was severely bashed earlier in the week for calling out those drinking the kool- aid.

We all get bashed now don't we? lol I don't care what people think of my views, I give my view the way I see it. This is a 16 game season, Dallas lost game 1 there were some good things in this game and some things that need to be cleaned up and improved on. I am very optimistic on this season and believe in this team, for those who don't that is their view and nothing that is said will change it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Homers and cheerleaders think they can continue slamming us who are more cautious and critical because they are more optimistic. They can’t imagine living in a realistic world.

But when the critics get it right they must be acknowledged . Its why the cheerleaders don’t ever get any credit. They never see the accident coming.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Bullet, I only panic when I am out of coffee or liquor and am never out of either.

The Cowboys got outplayed and outcoached, it happens. The Rams are a good team and were coming off just as a disappointing season as the Cowboys were.

The injuries are troublesome as all 3 of those positions are not a position of depth. There will be calls for Williams to move to RT but if anyone watched him getting rag dolled last night, I don't think putting him at RT will help unless they cover him with a TE. And the starting TE looks to be a better blocker than weapon anyway so why not?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We all get bashed now don't we? lol I don't care what people think of my views, I give my view the way I see it. This is a 16 game season, Dallas lost game 1 there were some good things in this game and some things that need to be cleaned up and improved on. I am very optimistic on this season and believe in this team, for those who don't that is their view and nothing that is said will change it.
That’s fine but as I replied to another just above for those who are eternally optimistic they must always be held accountable when they get it wrong. Belief and hope isn’t a plan only a state of mind.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That’s fine but as I replied to another just above for those who are eternally optimistic they must always be held accountable when they get it wrong.

Held accountable for what their own views? lol Give me a break I am a fan I have no control over anything. So you are holding people accountable? lol Good luck with that