Don’t pay RB

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I like how Percy Harvin is on the list. He didn't even play that season. He had 3 rushes for the entirety of 2013 including the playoffs and Super Bowl.

Nice. Only took 17 posts for someone to actually vet the data presented instead of head-nodding to what they wanted to believe.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
"Who needs to go to the SB when we can overpay our RB?"
we’ll he does sell jerseys and make Jerry money so he’s sticking around. if it truly was about winning we’d be modeling our cap after the patriots, who money ball each position with a dollar amount and cut bait fast not cari by about the jersey sales.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Cherry picking or not, the point is obvious. . U can find an effective back in any round of the draft. Every RB is replaceble.

It's a wasted pick to draft a RB in the early rounds. The best RB in the league will suck without an effective oline. But an average RB can look elite with a good line.
Yeah. I just said that, but thanks.

Cebrin

Reaction score
How is it cherry picking? It is every year since 2009.

There is an important point here. Zeke's 2022 CAP number is over $18 million. RB is not the important position it once was. I would gladly give up that $18 million CAP hit and sign a C and a LG, then draft a RB in the 4th round and I bet the Cowboys would have a better offense.
Reading comprehension is tough around here.

Cebrin

Reaction score
It's not cherry picking, just an incomplete statistic for total cost. Cap hit is probably better, plus amortized draft value, if he's still on his rookie contract.

But I doubt that changes the conclusion much. The point is that teams that win SBs aren't spending a lot for their RBs. That looks pretty clear from that list.
It is. I'm not arguing that we didn't overpay Zeke. I am arguing that this is a narrative. SB are won by good teams and good coaches. In this narrative, I could also point out that all you need is either Tom Brady, or 3 garbage QB's to to win over 50% of these games.

The cap has raised over 50 million dollars since 2009. Probably would have been significantly more if not for our current world state.

Paying Zeke is not our end all issue. Though it definitely hasn't helped since we have watched this OL crumble recently. Especially losing TF to an unexpected disease.

Our problem is we have not built a SB caliber team in almost 30 years. Period. No matter who we've paid or not paid. This all goes to Jerry. 100%. It's his team.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I like how Percy Harvin is on the list. He didn't even play that season. He had 3 rushes for the entirety of 2013 including the playoffs and Super Bowl.
EVERY back on that list did nothing to get to a SB.

Not sure what the point was.......

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Running back and WR are the 2 easiest positions to fill.

I wouldn't go as far as the Patriots have with scrub WRs but I also wouldn't invest top draft picks and CAP dollars in a RB either. The value and shelf life just aren't there.

Just give me an average RB with a good offensive line and scheme.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
Running back and WR are the 2 easiest positions to fill.

I wouldn't go as far as the Patriots have with scrub WRs but I also wouldn't invest top draft picks and CAP dollars in a RB either. The value and shelf life just aren't there.

Just give me an average RB with a good offensive line and scheme.
Unfortunately Moore doesn’t have a good run scheme

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was pleading this while our 1 year wonder was in Cabo

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is. I'm not arguing that we didn't overpay Zeke. I am arguing that this is a narrative. SB are won by good teams and good coaches. In this narrative, I could also point out that all you need is either Tom Brady, or 3 garbage QB's to to win over 50% of these games.

The cap has raised over 50 million dollars since 2009. Probably would have been significantly more if not for our current world state.

Paying Zeke is not our end all issue. Though it definitely hasn't helped since we have watched this OL crumble recently. Especially losing TF to an unexpected disease.

Our problem is we have not built a SB caliber team in almost 30 years. Period. No matter who we've paid or not paid. This all goes to Jerry. 100%. It's his team.

Obviously, Jerry doesn't know what he's doing and has no talent for the position he holds. That's just obvious after 26 years of nothing. We could end every conversation about the Cowboys right there. But that's boring and the owner of this board isn't ready to close it down.

But Zeke is a bigger problem than you think. We didn't just give him a big contract. We used the #4 overall pick on him. We then paid him his full market value after 2 seasons caving into a holdout........... thus forfeiting the great advantage of a rookie contract. We have invested too much in the position which has the domino effect of neglecting other positions b/c we have fewer cap dollars than teams that don't use their cap dollars and draft picks on rbs.

Cmac

Reaction score
Zeke was never better than Taylor even as NCAAers. Zeke should be ashamed of himself for what he did, I'd feel guilty.
Let's just call this "Critical RB Theory".......erase/eliminate/remove/dismiss/discard a player's past performance, especially under a rookie contract. Got it.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Jerry had visions of Emmitt Smith when he signed that contract. Instead, he got Troy Hambrick.

That's the heart of the problem. We are cursed by the success of the 90s. Jerry is seeing Troy, Deion, Irvin, Emmitt, Haley, etc. everywhere and is so desperate to rebuild that old team that he pays and treats pretty good players like they are Hall-of-Famers.

Like why does Lamb have to be #88? Why did Gregory have to be #94? That was a Jerry thing. What did they do to earn that honor? Nothing except it was in Jerry's head that he had drafted the next Irvin and the next Haley.

Same thing with contracts. Remember, way back, when Emmitt held out early in '93 and the team struggled until Jerry craved? Well, we can't let that happen again! Sign Zeke to a massive, franchise-handicapping contract and get him back here!

Flamma

Reaction score
That's the heart of the problem. We are cursed by the success of the 90s. Jerry is seeing Troy, Deion, Irvin, Emmitt, Haley, etc. everywhere and is so desperate to rebuild that old team that he pays and treats pretty good players like they are Hall-of-Famers.

Like why does Lamb have to be #88? Why did Gregory have to be #94? That was a Jerry thing. What did they do to earn that honor? Nothing except it was in Jerry's head that he had drafted the next Irvin and the next Haley.

Same thing with contracts. Remember, way back, when Emmitt held out early in '93 and the team struggled until Jerry craved? Well, we can't let that happen again! Sign Zeke to a massive, franchise-handicapping contract and get him back here!

Yeah, especially your last point on Emmitt. I think we all knew that's what Jerry was thinking.

One thing on Emmitt. He didn't hold out. A hold out, like what Zeke did, is when you don't play and you're still under contract. Emmitt was negotiating and had no contract. He can't play without some form of payment. Today they just franchise tag you. But in his situation, he couldn't play until they agreed to a contract. I'm wondering if the franchise tag was installed for situations just like his. Because it started sometime in 1993.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
That speaks for itself!!!

I am 1000% in agreement with this. we shouldn't draft a RB in top half of first round and they better be fantastic and can't pass it up type RB to take them in second half of first round.

paying a RB a large second contract is a mistake. they are the most easily replaced skill player on offense and are effective as rookies.