Don Banks combine column CNNSI - Belichick talking evaluating safetys (bu bye Roy)

RS12

Reaction score
- In assessing this year's crop of defensive backs, Belichick was fairly expansive about the changing role of the safety position in the NFL.

"The safety position is becoming more and more a corner position in the NFL,'' Belichick said. "There was a time when some of the safeties, particularly the strong safeties, fit more almost like linebackers than they did as defensive backs. That's changed gradually, but now to the point where the defensive backs a lot of times have to cover either wide receivers or tight ends who are very, very good in the passing game. So the demands of that position have changed and we have to change the evaluation of them.

Nobody can argue Belichick knows defense. Sounds like unless Roy W can play LB, he has outlived his usefulness here. The guy cant cover a man hole cover.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
I think he still has a part-time role as a runner stopper in short yardage situations. Other than that, he needs to be on the bench.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
Well part time players should not make what Roy makes. It's time to go or re-do your contract if you want to stay.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
jdub2k4;2649003 said:
I think he still has a part-time role as a runner stopper in short yardage situations. Other than that, he needs to be on the bench.

:laugh2: Would he want to do that?

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
5Countem5;2649013 said:
Whats the cap hit if he is cut or traded?

Anyone know?

We save 2.2 million if he's cut or traded.I think it's saving 10 million over the next two years or something crazy like that if he's cut this year.

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2649015 said:
We save 2.2 million if he's cut or traded.I think it's saving 10 million over the next two years or something crazy like that if he's cut this year.

Wow!!

Something's gotta give. He can't make that kind of money for what he contributes.

Matt

Reaction score
LOL, I love how every offseason there is always a question about Roy's cap hit.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I've been saying it for 3 years, back when everyone was blaming the scheme.

And NFL safety these days has to cover. It doesn't matter if he's free or strong. It's a fact that you can't scheme/wish/hope/pray away. The game is too spread out now and there's too many athletic pass catching TE's. NFL offensive coordinators are paid a lot of money to figure out ways to get safeties like Roy Williams in mismatches. There's nowhere to hide.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he stays, his contract needs redone. Right now he is stealing Jerry money.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Frankly I see a time when you have 3 CBs starting and only 1 Safety.

ddh33

Reaction score
You know, it's kind of strange that college football has been a little ahead of the NFL lately.

Colleges were doing a lot of this several years ago, including when Roy Williams was playing a hybrid position at OU.

More recently, colleges are going almost exclusively to spread offenses, and we are gradually seeing more and more of that in the NFL too.

But I think Roy can still play. I think his strengths can still be used on a football team. I wonder what he would do as a LB, but even if he stays at S, I think he can still have a role.

So I hope that Roy does get to stick around, and I hope that the coaches can find a way to use him.

RS12

Reaction score
how do you keep a guy around who cant cover or tackle? Maybe I should get on Irvins reality show cuz I cant cover or tackle either, maybe there is is a roster spot for me.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If he still lit people up it would be a different story but he doesnt even do that.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
The NFL constantly evolves. Those hard hitting safetys are becoming more and more obsolete due to different schemes and packages. There's only a few rare exeptions that come along who can do both. Polamalu, Bob Sanders and Sean Taylor.

Reaction score
Roy Williams isn't getting paid like a part time player... They need to cut him and move on. Dallas needs a leader and a playmaker at the safety position.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2649015 said:

If he's traded then we save all the contract money. This would be a very good thing but who's going to take him?

InmanRoshi;2649217 said:
I've been saying it for 3 years, back when everyone was blaming the scheme.

And NFL safety these days has to cover. It doesn't matter if he's free or strong. It's a fact that you can't scheme/wish/hope/pray away. The game is too spread out now and there's too many athletic pass catching TE's. NFL offensive coordinators are paid a lot of money to figure out ways to get safeties like Roy Williams in mismatches. There's nowhere to hide.

We caught some heat for that. The game has changed. We play the nickel, dime and other special packages a great deal of the time. The rule changes and the natural evolution of players gives makes passing much more effective.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
CATCH17;2649508 said:
If he still lit people up it would be a different story but he doesnt even do that.
He would have a place on my roster if he would destroy every WR within 10 yards of him, but since his one act is gone, he should follow.

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
Isn't there a myth list somewhere that disputes this bunk?

RS12;2649000 said:
"The safety position is becoming more and more a corner position in the NFL,'' Belichick said. "There was a time when some of the safeties, particularly the strong safeties, fit more almost like linebackers than they did as defensive backs. That's changed gradually, but now to the point where the defensive backs a lot of times have to cover either wide receivers or tight ends who are very, very good in the passing game. So the demands of that position have changed and we have to change the evaluation of them.

I kid, I kid.